Suggestion for Tube based Power amplifier

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Hi all,

While my solid state curiosity is piqued, my main system is having some issues. I have become disillusioned with my ARC ref250s after one of the monoblocks developed a mechanical buzz after 1000hrs of use. Prior to that, this pair has broken down at least twice due to coupling cap issues resulting in loss of bias killing tubes.

Anyway, enough about that. I am looking for suitable tube power amplifier to replace the ref250. For the moment, I am pretty happy with my linestage - ARC ref40 so I may not change it out.

I listen to a lot of vocals so my preference in descending order of importance :

1) mid range - vocals must sound nice
2) soundstage
3) bass - bass would be nice

My speakers & associated equipment are listed in my signature.

Any suggestions on what to audition ?

Regards,
Joe Ling

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I suppose one natural option is CJ ART monos. they are SE only (ie, no balanced/XLR)...does Ref40 have SE out? The other which I have heard are the Zanden 9600 monos, and they are world class in my limited experience with them. I have heard exceptionally good things about the Robert Koda K70 if you can get a hold of them. I would say each of these is well regarded to offer the priorities you list. Obviously, its all opinion and personal.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
CAT would also be one to consider , I don't know about power amp reliability but the pre that I still have works fine .
Still wanna own one myself some day.
One of the best but quite expensive Octave jubilee mono amps

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Can't give any recommends and apologize for the off topic comment but..........

it seems like many people of this site have had issues with the ARC 250's.

Given their history and reputation, why do these issues occur? For the asking price, seems pretty silly.

Poor QC, poor design, etc.?

GG

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Price from lower to higher I would try the KR Audio DX2 or DXL, maybe the VTL S400 (with a mullard or amperex up front) then the VAC 300.1 then the VAC 450 Statement. Just my 2 cents.

I haven't heard any of the new CJs sadly.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I would second the CAT suggestion.
Also, may want to add the BAT REX amps.
Fernando, I presume your Jadis are reliable, as in the past they were notorious for being anything but. Therefore, if they are reliable today, then the Jadis recommendation would be good.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Can't give any recommends and apologize for the off topic comment but..........

it seems like many people of this site have had issues with the ARC 250's.

Given their history and reputation, why do these issues occur? For the asking price, seems pretty silly.

Poor QC, poor design, etc.?

GG

For all the praise ARC gets I'm hearing that too, but not just that unit...overall. It seems like ARC has issues. You'd expect more reliability for the price.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
VAC, CJ, VTL, Ayon, in no particular order.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
For all the praise ARC gets I'm hearing that too, but not just that unit...overall. It seems like ARC has issues. You'd expect more reliability for the price.

New ownership.

AT MSRP of $25K for the Ref 250's, why not consider the Pass Labs XA 150 or 200 amps.

Bomb proof and very tube like.

GG

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I would add Jadis to your list!

+2 for Jadis. I heard the latest JA80's driving the new Spendor A9 and it was superb. the A9 shares many of the ProAc C8s characteristics it would seem to be a perfect match.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If you are keeping the great REF40 you will need a balanced input amplifier, as the REF40 sounds and measures much better in balanced mode. VTLs can be an excellent match, I read about people using Wavac amplifiers with the REF40. Please note that a few tube amplifiers having XLR inputs are not really balanced, they have the XLR input for convenience but only use one phase signal.

If you get the Steve Mccormack Interocitor you will be able to use the REF40 with unbalanced amplifiers, but you will need an extra signal cable.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I would take advantage of your fairly efficient Proacs and look for a simpler circuit than Arc...50-75 watts with a pair of KT88s a side, preferably without neg feedback

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Thanks guys. So many choices. I thought I was done with the ref250 but that is not to be. I have to do searching & try to audition some more.

Much appreciated & any other suggestions keep them coming !

Regards,
Joe Ling

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
+3 for jadis. must be ja series monoblocks.
beautiful with vocals and fantastic soundstage.
bass is adequate.

haven't heard these but maybe,
vtl siegfried
ayon vulcan
vac statement 450?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I would second the CAT suggestion.
Also, may want to add the BAT REX amps.
Fernando, I presume your Jadis are reliable, as in the past they were notorious for being anything but. Therefore, if they are reliable today, then the Jadis recommendation would be good.

i have not had any issues with at least 4 of them DaveyF, and AC is not that great down here....saying that, avoid the Defy and go for the JA series.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If you are keeping the great REF40 you will need a balanced input amplifier, as the REF40 sounds and measures much better in balanced mode. VTLs can be an excellent match, I read about people using Wavac amplifiers with the REF40. Please note that a few tube amplifiers having XLR inputs are not really balanced, they have the XLR input for convenience but only use one phase signal.

If you get the Steve Mccormack Interocitor you will be able to use the REF40 with unbalanced amplifiers, but you will need an extra signal cable.

Hi Joeling, I just checked based on Micro's recommendation for balanced amps. The Zanden 9600 monos I recommended are fully balanced. (Again, the CJ is totally SE and only has RCA inputs.)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I would take advantage of your fairly efficient Proacs and look for a simpler circuit than Arc...50-75 watts with a pair of KT88s a side, preferably without neg feedback

I have no experience with the C8, but having hosted several Proac's, up to the Response 5, I always felt their top speakers love more power than a single pair of KT88s can deliver. Just my opinion. A good friend had them with the ARC REF150 and IMHO it was just borderline.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing