Stromtank Battery Supply / Sine Wave Converter

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Well, I am now listening to my system and the sound changes even from one song to the next one. I miss Stromtank. It is not just the tone, I also hear some HF noise, which was not there, when I had Stromtank in my room.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Well, I am now listening to my system and the sound changes even from one song to the next one. I miss Stromtank. It is not just the tone, I also hear some HF noise, which was not there, when I had Stromtank in my room.
Have you measured your power lines to see how dirty they are? We did this for a show where the he hotel had horrible power and so we put the whole system, amp included on a huge regenerator...it was the best I have heard those components sound.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Have you measured your power lines to see how dirty they are? We did this for a show where the he hotel had horrible power and so we put the whole system, amp included on a huge regenerator...it was the best I have heard those components sound.
Was that the big PS Audio (10 or 15?) in Regensdorf?

Reactions: morricab

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
better defined location in space for instruments (on appropriate recordings), less fuzz on the images, more depth, quieter background (hesitate to say blacker but I guess it could be perceived that way)...simply more 3d in terms of imaging, focus and soundstage. Tonality and dynamics not really that noticeably different.
Pretty much mirrors my own experience with source electronics Brad.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
better defined location in space for instruments (on appropriate recordings), less fuzz on the images, more depth, quieter background (hesitate to say blacker but I guess it could be perceived that way)...simply more 3d in terms of imaging, focus and soundstage. Tonality and dynamics not really that noticeably different.

Thank you, Brad.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

CDC77

May 26, 2021
Chicago
www.cdcaruso.com
Is there a consensus here? I have a D’Agostino Momentum Integrated Amp, and can’t help but notice that Mr. D’Agostino appears to be a Stromtank enthusiast. For those that actually have or had Stromtank in their systems, are you happy? Was there noticeable sonic improvement over whatever “power conditioner” you might have been using before? If you tried Stromtank, but decided to go in a different direction, can you explain why? Thank you.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I find most people don't have their power foundation set up correct. Even if they think they do, most don't. If you use a traditional filter like an Audioquest, Shunyata, Sound Application, PS Audio, they will perform to a much higher level with the infrastructure supporting it done correct.

If you don't want to bother with your electrical utility, battery may be an option. A well designed product such as a Stromtank that has worked out many of the issues is idiot proof. Stromtank could care less how bad everything is feeding it. Oddly Pure Power and others are still out there with mixed opinions on performance. Same technology.

The benefit of a well designed whole home battery system is stability of voltage across many systems. Your computer, internet, light and food storage are also safe from brown and blackouts. But it has to be done right. You are no longer dropping a box on the floor and plugging into it. Your putting a wall of batteries in a storage box and routing that power through inverters, switching relays and panels. And from their, branch circuits to your audio rack. And whose equipment did you use.

There is also Torus Power and Equitech. Well designed isolation transformers. I have not met a person who installed a 10 kva transformer and did not like it. But again, everything supporting that transformer and leaving that transformer needs someone like myself who is focused specifically on powering highly sensitive amplifying equipment to design around it to get the most from it.

Reactions: Ultrafast69

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
If you have the money and the space - go with the Stromtank. I tried the smallest model, only for my sources, and unfortunately, it had not enough juice, the dynamics suffered. There should be no such issue with the bigger models.

onlychild

Sep 18, 2019
If you have the money and the space - go with the Stromtank. I tried the smallest model, only for my sources, and unfortunately, it had not enough juice, the dynamics suffered. There should be no such issue with the bigger models.
I totally agree. I had the S1000 (smallest) model for over a year running my Uber headphone setup and the dynamics suffered and music sounded slow and bloated but it was the smoothest, least fatiguing sound I ever heard, also the best treble my system ever produced.

im currently using a Sound Application TT7 with a dedicated 20amp line using 6awg wire and it is excellent. It’s a dynamics and speed king, but if the washer/dryer are running, I get fatigue immediately, same goes for blow dryer, blender, etc. I get fatigue also depending on the time day. Nights and Sunday's are the best, but that’s not always the time I get to listen. Sometimes I’ll be ready to sit down for a session but the system is too bright and so I can’t listen for more than a few minutes. When I had the S1000, that fatigue was never there. I could listen anytime no matter what and it always sounded the same. Mind you, I live in down town Chicago with several hundred neighbors all sharing the same power lines.

Trying to fix this would need an electrician to run a power study on the house and that alone would cost several thousand dollars, not including any fix. Wife is also taking about moving in a few years, so any electrical infrastructure improvements would all be wasted if I moved.

Long story short, I have a S5000 High Power arriving tomorrow straight from the D’agastino office. I will be testing the dynamics specifically against my Sound Application TT7 240 PGI (but I’m not running big hungry power amps, only an Extreme and Sennheiser HE-1) Will report back.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I totally agree. I had the S1000 (smallest) model for over a year running my Uber headphone setup and the dynamics suffered and music sounded slow and bloated but it was the smoothest, least fatiguing sound I ever heard, also the best treble my system ever produced.

im currently using a Sound Application TT7 with a dedicated 20amp line using 6awg wire and it is excellent. It’s a dynamics and speed king, but if the washer/dryer are running, I get fatigue immediately, same goes for blow dryer, blender, etc. I get fatigue also depending on the time day. Nights and Sunday's are the best, but that’s not always the time I get to listen. Sometimes I’ll be ready to sit down for a session but the system is too bright and so I can’t listen for more than a few minutes. When I had the S1000, that fatigue was never there. I could listen anytime no matter what and it always sounded the same. Mind you, I live in down town Chicago with several hundred neighbors all sharing the same power lines.

Trying to fix this would need an electrician to run a power study on the house and that alone would cost several thousand dollars, not including any fix. Wife is also taking about moving in a few years, so any electrical infrastructure improvements would all be wasted if I moved.

Long story short, I have a S5000 High Power arriving tomorrow straight from the D’agastino office. I will be testing the dynamics specifically against my Sound Application TT7 240 PGI (but I’m not running big hungry power amps, only an Extreme and Sennheiser HE-1) Will report back.
I take it the Stomtank and TT7 would not be use together?

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I believe @romaz did some experiments using the TT7 plugged into the Stromtank. I recall he abandoned the Tank, but kept the TT7.

@onlychild I will keep an eye on any info you may post re: the Tank, as I also have an Extreme.

I was vacillating between the TT7 and the 2500 Stromtank. I went with the TT7. I will also very soon update the 10ga. dedicated line to a 6ga. run.

Is running the back-end on the TT7 and the front-end on the Stromtank the ultimate set-up? With a 40K buy-in, it's a helluva experiment to run.

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
I did compare the torus with the stromtank and I live the torus better. One thing to keep in mind.when manufacturers voiced their systems they didn't use a stromtank hence results can vary tremendously

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
when manufacturers voiced their systems they didn't use a stromtank hence results can vary tremendously
...that was the generic comment from @Taiko Audio re: the Stromtank---to be sure to demo it at home, as it would be expected to have an impact on the sound.

No judgement was made on such a change, but I think your point is a good one to consider for any component run on a battery.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Fatigue usually indicates high frequency noises which exactly washer and dryer producing. I am surprised that TT7 can’t filter these noises especially when it claims it can filter noises up to 3GHz.

onlychild

Sep 18, 2019
...I believe @romaz did some experiments using the TT7 plugged into the Stromtank. I recall he abandoned the Tank, but kept the TT7.

@onlychild I will keep an eye on any info you may post re: the Tank, as I also have an Extreme.

I was vacillating between the TT7 and the 2500 Stromtank. I went with the TT7. I will also very soon update the 10ga. dedicated line to a 6ga. run.

Is running the back-end on the TT7 and the front-end on the Stromtank the ultimate set-up? With a 40K buy-in, it's a helluva experiment to run.
I think Romaz only tested the s2500. The 5000HP is a totally different beast. Also, I believe Romaz has much cleaner power coming into his place and only one or two neighbors.

I have a few hundred within a block. : (

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing