Stromtank Battery Supply / Sine Wave Converter

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Either deaf or market orientated ;)
May be the marketing manager decides whats get released.
Nonsense...if you haven't heard the effects of clean power then you are not trying...

I think one of the reasons they year in and year out have arguably the best sound at show in Munich is because they don't rely on the MOC power...they bring a huge lead/acid battery back with power inverter and I don't think it is for show or marketing as they basically hide it in the back behind some screens...

Reactions: infinitely baffled

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have always been interested in off grid power. I began designing a rotary power supply for audio. Basically a box with a 5 hp motor belt attached to a alternator. A frequency deive would precisely control the motor speed for 120 volt output. I figured most all electricity we use is generated by an alternator. I ran into snags with finding a good alternator. Non spec that well. I could have a custom alternator made, but I was thinking this unit would end up costing around $40k. And no matter what you do, all separately derived power sources on a properly have to tie into the main ground. The main ground is bonded to the utility neutral. So you still have dirty power on the neutral and ground.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I will go to munich in may / 22 for 2 days , and i really really hope i will get impressed with sound whether it ll be horns electrostats cones whatever .
I ll report back also on your living voice vox olympian ;)
I go every year for three days...at least when it was being held (last in 2019).

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I go every year for three days...at least when it was being held (last in 2019).
Is it that big ?
I ve never been before .

When i have my 2 smaller speaker models ready , i might go the year after as a demonstrator.
Preferably with CAT and a couple of tape decks .
Roll some tapes and show what it s all about :cool: without the nonsense

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Is it that big ?
I ve never been before .

When i have my 2 smaller speaker models ready , i might go the year after as a demonstrator.
Preferably with CAT and a couple of tape decks .
Roll some tapes and show what it s all about :cool: without the nonsense
Yes, it is huge...at least it was before Covid...

cal3713

Nov 2, 2020
youtube.com
Excuse the obvious Q, but...why?
Why does any system require multiple Stromtanks for varied non power components?
Just how much energy do DACs, servers, tt motors, phonos, preamps use?
It's surely preposterous a $20k battery is only suited to one piece of gear.
I suspect it's not because of the power requirements, but for full equipment isolation so that critical items are not influenced by dirty power created by the operation of other components.

Reactions: infinitely baffled

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Excuse the obvious Q, but...why?
Why does any system require multiple Stromtanks for varied non power components?
Just how much energy do DACs, servers, tt motors, phonos, preamps use?
It's surely preposterous a $20k battery is only suited to one piece of gear.
Perhaps they’re rubbish to begin with!

Reactions: Solypsa

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I use a regenerator on my sources and find it makes a highly significant improvment.

How would you describe the sonic nature of this improvement?

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
As an aside, I sent several emails to stromtank about their products as there was no distributor available, none of which received a response. I’ve since spent my money elsewhere

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I would say that if you notice the sound is significantly better at a given time of the day (usually at night) then you are probably a candidate for power regeneration, battery etc.

If you don't notice any changes at different times of the day then likely your power is pretty stable and clean.

I have noticed pretty large day/night differences and so found a big benefit, particularly during the day, when using a regenerator on my sources.
I don’t think it’s that simple, at least not in the case with Stromtank. I heard two distinctive changes in sound while using Stromtank regardless of the time of the day.
1. Change in the soundstage, it got wider and deeper, more 3D like - definitely a positive one;
2. Change in tonality - warmer, smoother, more tubelike - can be a colouration or maybe it is how it should be???

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Abeidrov , i think in russia they also have good normal grid power .

IMO In your case the limiting factor would be the wilson sasha DAW .
If you really want a complete sound id suggest you upgrade to a Alexx .
Instead of waisting all this money on accessories

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
How would you describe the sonic nature of this improvement?
better defined location in space for instruments (on appropriate recordings), less fuzz on the images, more depth, quieter background (hesitate to say blacker but I guess it could be perceived that way)...simply more 3d in terms of imaging, focus and soundstage. Tonality and dynamics not really that noticeably different.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I don’t think it’s that simple, at least not in the case with Stromtank. I heard two distinctive changes in sound while using Stromtank regardless of the time of the day.
1. Change in the soundstage, it got wider and deeper, more 3D like - definitely a positive one;
2. Change in tonality - warmer, smoother, more tubelike - can be a colouration or maybe it is how it should be???
Ok, I get similar effect from my power regenerator (at least the soundstage, 3d thing and yes it is only upside). Tonality is less obvious but I use only tubes at all points in my chain (including DAC and phonostage), so perhaps my system tonality is already how it should be?

Reactions: abeidrov

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Have you guys ever considered producing your own energy?
Photovoltaic panels, store that DC energy in batteries and with un inverter transfer it to AC. The Swiss company Studer, Next models, have fantastic specs, if true in real world. The wave sine distortion is almost perfect, again, if true. Victron inverters have some models with very good specs too. Both brands use toroidal transformers. Yes, for power amps could be a challenge to store enough jus but, for sources could be something possible.
What do you think and do you know someone who have tried this route?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
a very good way would be to install an active harmonic filter, the problem is these controls are very expensive. I don't know exactly whether this is possible for home use. just find out whether there are solutions for your own home.
Exsample vid

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
a very good way would be to install an active harmonic filter, the problem is these controls are very expensive. I don't know exactly whether this is possible for home use. just find out whether there are solutions for your own home.
Exsample vid
What product is this specifically?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Not a specific product harmonic filter is just that, it's supposed to reduce or eliminate harmonic distortion into equipment or in some cases out of them. We had them designed as part of overall electrical plant in our factory for sensitive machinery but I don't know of their value in an audio system.

david

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
These systems are available from many manufacturers, the smallest starting with a maximum output of 10 kilowatts per phase

It makes sense to first measure the mains how dirty it is. for active harmonic fliter a 3-phase mains connection is required. The reactive current on the mains connection is eliminated by passive coils and capacitors.
This means that transformers of devices can bring their full capacity. the active harmonic filters completely remove distortion from 2nd to 50th. in the video you can see how the filters reduce 16% thd to 2.5% thd.
To what extent the distortion can be reduced more with a better starting position, I cannot say.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing