Streaming vs. Collecting

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
If you say you don’t tend to like new music, check out Lady Blackbird’s new debut album, Black Acid Soul. Not an audiophile release, but Really well recorded and fantastic music.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
At 72 I have more music than I can listen to for the rest of my life. That said, every week I but two new albums from HDTracks. At this point in life I am in a Metal phase. While these albums sometimes aren't the best recorded, I still love listening to them.

Reactions: Mikem53

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I stream on YouTube everyday just for causal listening while watching tv or going for a walk But for listening to my system I listen only to vinyl and cds.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
I have spend 40 years collecting vinyl and cds to the point I have everything I like.I am not into new music so much and perfer the 60s 70s and 80s music except for new audiophile recordings which I continue to buy.I don’t like the idea of having a computer and flicking thru music all the time.I perfer to go to my collection and pick out what I wanna listen to.simple and easy.
I too never thought I would want to stream music, with all my decades of collecting music, sorting and organizing my favorite tunes.. I would be set for life..
Then I tried streaming .. I have since found so much more that I like, New and old, different versions I didn’t know existed, etc…. I still buy CD’s to add to my collection.. but I now enjoy a Universe of music at My fingertips that is so convenient and immense.. I’m never bored! When @bonzo75 and some others suggest something amazing to hear, I can usually find it and be Listening within minutes.. There must be 30 different versions of Scheherazade that I am still exploring and enjoying.. where finding and buying all these may not be practical..

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
I have spend 40 years collecting vinyl and cds to the point I have everything I like.I am not into new music so much and perfer the 60s 70s and 80s music except for new audiophile recordings which I continue to buy.I don’t like the idea of having a computer and flicking thru music all the time.I perfer to go to my collection and pick out what I wanna listen to.simple and easy.
by doing so we lock out ourselfs from tons of good undiscovered music that exists out of our libraries..

Reactions: bryans

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

Agreed. We only have one lifetime to live and listen to the music we enjoy. For some of us, if we’re constantly fumbling thru new music it leaves less time for the 1000s of Albums we already know we enjoy.

Having a lifetime of music on Vinyl and CD of the music you prefer, makes streaming for new music rather a waste of time. This said, I do stream from Qobuz on occasion and I stream my ripped CDs as well. But when I stream it’s normally only the music I perfer - nothing new. And I never stream for critical listening - but that may change with the new Aurender N30 that’s on the way,

Where streaming does come in handy is if a friend suggests an Album I may enjoy. Then I can listen first and purchase later if I enjoy it. It’s also convenient if my back is out, etc.

This said, streaming may work better for some people. Younger people still haven’t had time to gather together a lifetime of music files they enjoy. They can stream and discover new content. But most older people probably already have a list of lifetime songs and albums they enjoy the most. So, different age groups may look at streaming differently.

While those that stream have million of files to listen to when the internet is working, when it’s down you have zero songs. Our Internet was down for app 10 days just 4 months ago. Media to the rescue.

For me part of being a music lover is owning media.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I am not a collector of anything, so I would not call my LP’s, CD’s and Cassettes collecting. I love music and they just happen to be on physical media. I like to own my music and not having to be at the mercy of what the streaming company happen to have license to play, once I buy my physical media it’s mine and unless my flat burns down or I get burgled they are there for me to play at any time I wish.

For me Streaming is for discovering new music or listening to music while I am at work. I discover most of my new music by listening to Fip Radio out of Paris www.fip.fr , once I hear anything I like I am out buying a physical copy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing