Stillpoints Ultra 6 v's Critical Mass Systems Centre Stage 2

vert

Oct 26, 2015
stillpoint clean up the sound more detail tight even slightly sterile if used on the wrong component.

I have a stillpoints rack (with shelves), stillpoints component SS stand (with stillpoints footers), and HRS R3X.

I agree, my audiomat maestro DAC doesn’t like to be on the stillpoints footers on the component stand. That‘s a genuine hifi insight you had!

joelavrencikCMS

Industry Expert
Jul 30, 2021
Nor am I a physicist. The design of the "technology pocket" of Stillpoints Ultra products has evolved over the years. The design goal being to create a non-straight, confused path for the physical/mechanical vibration to travel resulting in that vibration dissipated as quickly as is possible as heat.

I agree completely.
This is a good discussion. Maybe the following would be useful. Without getting into “better” – as this would be highly inappropriate- I think it would be true to say that the “business end” of the SP rack is nested inside its footers. SP and CMS obviously infuse technology into our rack structures, granted in different ways, but I think it pretty safe to say that both concentrate 1st Law energy (vibration) conversion to heat at designated areas or points in the whole of the rack structure. My surmise is that -generally speaking- SP feet convert vibration to work and work to heat in a highly specific way. This conforms to the principles of the 1st Law. It definitely works. CMS focuses its 1st Law conversion inside its shelves. Ours are 12 stage, dual zone constrained layer damping platforms with their material contents calculated to thousandths and 10-thousandths of an inch. This conforms to the 1st Law as well. It definitely works. So, we use the same Law in different ways using different physical materials netting different sonic results. In fact, I believe we both hold US patents for our technology which proves that our approaches are provably different.

mageak

Jan 3, 2022
I now have sp mini ss u5 u6 cms .8

i have found...

u6 with bases under power conditioner
u5 under merging power player
ss with bases under vitus
mini under bonn nx gx stack
cms .8 under forrester f2

to be the best combination surprisingly the cms under the gigawatt pc3 se+ was harsh and sterile and the ultra 6 the opposite.

I totally agree disagree with the statement that stillpoint rob the system of ambient sound and presents. its just not true in my system

i have ordered more stillpoints and am trying to find an appropriate place for the cms atm.

i think the higher up you go with stillpoints the less sterile and clean the sound gets and the more emotional and involving it becomes

Attachments

• 20230729_102200.jpg
    20230729_102200.jpg
    905.2 KB · Views: 22

vert

Oct 26, 2015
i think the higher up you go with stillpoints the less sterile and clean the sound gets and the more emotional and involving it becomes

I will put this theory to the test. I’m moving up to Ultra II V2 on the stillpoints component stand.

Reactions: ctydwn

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
As I recall and checked to verify, Joe L. stated the Second law of Thermodynamics, which says that electromechanical and dynamic systems like audio components reach a state of disarray after some use, which he rectifies (for lack of a better descriptor) resulting in better sonics. There are many more details available along that result in his secret sauce. You can call that "marketing", I personally find it refreshing when designers give specifics as to how they achieve what they do. The alternative which we see via many companies is to state nothing.
Hi
many manufactures employs scientific therms to give a strong value about their products. The majority is not real science (I know I was professor in University about vibration). Curiously the best draining systems I know (that uses 2nd law of thermodynamics) were designed mostly by theory but the exceptional results were obtained making a lot of prototypes, as systems are a matter of materials, shapes, and of course surface of draining as the 2nd law needs.

Reactions: TDX

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Hi Steve,
I do no said that this particularly US brand have no competence. If they have patents, they represent something that is accepted by the Patent Authority. I reacted because I had many patents in passive automotive crash systems, vibrations and many more, and see strange audio concepts that are ideas and not real answer to vibrations transfert or isolation or damping.
I still maintain that many audio brands are not so much strong about vibrations transfer, or damping... I bought many transports, feet, cones, platforms in the past that were not related to any physic laws. When I was professor about mechanical vibrations, I saw so much fancy theories, and only a handful of serious products that really work to have real better performance and not only to change the sound. And some are not products I sale to be clear.
KR
PHP

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Steve,
I do no said that this particularly US brand have no competence. If they have patents, they represent something that is accepted by the Patent Authority. I reacted because I had many patents in passive automotive crash systems, vibrations and many more, and see strange audio concepts that are ideas and not real answer to vibrations transfert or isolation or damping.
I still maintain that many audio brands are not so much strong about vibrations transfer, or damping... I bought many transports, feet, cones, platforms in the past that were not related to any physic laws. When I was professor about mechanical vibrations, I saw so much fancy theories, and only a handful of serious products that really work to have real better performance and not only to change the sound. And some are not products I sale to be clear.
KR
PHP
on this we agree. I know that Joe has painstakingly developed his products as defined in the patents

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
on this we agree. I know that Joe has painstakingly developed his products as defined in the patents
That said I will listen to these feet one day. In my experience all ball bearings are not optimal solutions, even expensive ones I listened to from Germany, Denmark ... only a discontinued brand had done a fine one that do not project of lift the sound. I will also listen to a US ball bearing system that could be very good due to the material used.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing