Stillpoints Ultra 6 v's Critical Mass Systems Centre Stage 2

PR13

Dec 15, 2019
UK
Hi all. Looking for opinions on the above vibration control footers. Has anyone compared both in their system and found a preference?

I'm swayed towards the CS2s simply because I find them less intrusive and they are available in different heights (the weight of a component makes no difference). The U6s with the additional base plates elevate the component too much and just looks awful imo but of course, if I'm going to spend this sort of money then I could live with this if the U6s are better.

I understand this is subjective of course but the CMS feet seem to be highly praised which is another positive in my mind.

Interested to hear other's views

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I don’t know (yet) about the center stage footers... just bear in mind these tweaks all seem to have their day in the sun, being favored for a time by many audiophiles, until something new comes along. It doesn’t make the prior favorite suck, though the change in rhetoric can be rather astonishing.

That said, in every system there is probably a better match and of course you’ll only know if you can audition them. And while every change requires some settling time, the CS footers seem to be on the long side of that process.

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Bobvin, I agree, they all may have their place, and I only have experience with Stillpoints, and Nordost Sort Cones at all levels and only hear good things about Critical Mass.

Footer isolation can be tricky for sure, meaning in my use I experienced loss and improvement in mid range and in several cases lost the low end. I have had both positive and negative experiences but IME they do best under power distribution and LPS supporting modems, switches.

If you can demo them for the couple of weeks they claim it takes to really hear their benefit may be a safer path.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi all. Looking for opinions on the above vibration control footers. Has anyone compared both in their system and found a preference?

I'm swayed towards the CS2s simply because I find them less intrusive and they are available in different heights (the weight of a component makes no difference). The U6s with the additional base plates elevate the component too much and just looks awful imo but of course, if I'm going to spend this sort of money then I could live with this if the U6s are better.

I understand this is subjective of course but the CMS feet seem to be highly praised which is another positive in my mind.

Interested to hear other's views
I don’t know (yet) about the center stage footers... just bear in mind these tweaks all seem to have their day in the sun, being favored for a time by many audiophiles, until something new comes along. It doesn’t make the prior favorite suck, though the change in rhetoric can be rather astonishing.

That said, in every system there is probably a better match and of course you’ll only know if you can audition them. And while every change requires some settling time, the CS footers seem to be on the long side of that process.
I have had both in my system. My opinion is biased as my experience with Center Stage has lead me to represent the company as a sales person.IMO there is no comparison. Briefly put Still Points for my ears robbed the system of ambient sound which for me creates the sense of presence. Plus there is an Immersive Effect with Center Stage that just doesn't exist with Stillpoints

I had all SP ultra 5's and ultra 6's in my system. I sold them all in an hour on audiogon and purchased Center Stage which is with me to this day. In fact I just added the newly released Center Stage LS 1'5's under my speakers. This was the biggest revelation of all

Yes things come and go but Center Stage is here to stay.as for my ears they are true system transformers

Reactions: JPDV

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Although my experience isn't as extensive as others, it has led me to the clear belief that what's best under one component may not be best under another, even of the same type (e.g., tube monoblocks). Unfortunately, this means either trying several or learning to live with your choice. Fortunately, in line with Bobvin's post, devices that aren't flavor of the month are readily available used, usually at a steep discount

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Forgive me Mike, I’m unsure how to interpret your post? To my knowledge you don’t use either brand mentioned, but I’ve been having so much fun listening when I have visited I’ve not done a deep dive on all of your ancillary gear.

Reactions: Milt

Steve Williams

I guess if you've never tried them Mike, that would be the typical reply. Perhaps put up 5 to make your point. I always like reading comments from those who have never heard something but have an opinion

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i've only heard Center Stage footers at shows, and then before and after at Steve's place, and was impressed both times. i agree with Steve that they are exceptional.

that said; my eye rolls were for Steve's unrestrained post. as our fearless leader and part of the Center Stage company he should have dialed that back a notch or five. even if he's 100% right.

Steve Williams

Really.

I said up front I am biased and gave the reasons why. However I have used both in my system and have a keen awareness as to what CS does as compared to SP

FWIW several reviewers have called CS system changers. I tend to agree. Sorry for my exuberance.

Reactions: Stump

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
What is inside the Critical Mass Systems Centre Stage 2 and what method of vibration control do they use?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Nicely put. Stillpoints footers certainly captured the market's smile when they first came out and their popularity remains fairly strong today. Tweaks do seem to move in phases. Having owned them for my speakers and electronics I went through that myself. I still have a set under the video player for my TV, but the others are gone.

It would be interesting to read an objective comparison between the two products.

Reactions: PeterA and Bobvin

Brahmsian

VIP/Donor
Aug 2, 2020
Recently, I upgraded my system and as part of the the process, I tried a bunch of of these devices but not the Center Stage Feet as I am not sure we can get them in Australia. I can, however, make some observations on the Stillpoints. Like Steve, I found them robbing the ambient of the music, especially operas and piano. They did tighten the imaging and made placements easier to spot but they took a lot away. It was akin to taking away the pre and connecting directly to the DAC. For certain systems and rooms, I could imagine they might make a difference but not mine. At least, this was what I heard.

Steve Williams

Recently, I upgraded my system and as part of the the process, I tried a bunch of of these devices but not the Center Stage Feet as I am not sure we can get them in Australia. I can, however, make some observations on the Stillpoints. Like Steve, I found them robbing the ambient of the music, especially operas and piano. They did tighten the imaging and made placements easier to spot but they took a lot away. It was akin to taking away the pre and connecting directly to the DAC. For certain systems and rooms, I could imagine they might make a difference but not mine. At least, this was what I heard.
Precisely my point. Most people do an A-B test but you have to do an A-B-A test to understand what each foot does. The loss of ambience rob, the feeling of presence and sound comes out of darkness. This is not how we hear.Again, my reply is biased because I use Center Stage under all of my electronics and now under my speakers. With Center stage the ambient sound and the immersive effect is such that for my ears it creates a "you are there experience"

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
i've only heard Center Stage footers at shows, and then before and after at Steve's place, and was impressed both times. i agree with Steve that they are exceptional.

that said; my eye rolls were for Steve's unrestrained post. as our fearless leader and part of the Center Stage company he should have dialed that back a notch or five. even if he's 100% right.
+1 I appreciate everyone’s views but at the end of the day it’s all about implementation and I’m sure centre stage footers have value in a system where they work... and cc power cables have value where they work, and all the various tweaks have value where they work.

Tweaks are amongst the least universal elements in putting a system together. I see no proofs that because one person’s approach works well in one setup that therefore other approaches must be inherently wrong. Or that a failed attempt to make something work also doesn’t therefore make that product a failure.

Ultimately championing any approach doesn’t genuinely require attacking the approaches of others at all. I just really enjoy it when people find a system that works for them. Diversity is good, unnecessary conflict over choices in audio gear not so much... everyone’s mileage in anything may vary. That for me is the beauty of the system, there is genuinely no one right way for all.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Ultimately championing any approach doesn’t genuinely require attacking the approaches of others at all. I just really enjoy it when people find a system that works for them. Diversity is good, unnecessary conflict over choices in audio gear not so much... everyone’s mileage in anything may vary. That for me is the beauty of the system, there is genuinely no one right way for all.

Sure - building something up by tearing down something else is not an evaluation based on the merit of what you're praising. Nonetheless, some equipment is better than others and we shouldn't be afraid to say that.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Sure - building something up by tearing down something else is not an evaluation based on the merit of what you're praising. Nonetheless, some equipment is better than others and we shouldn't be afraid to say that.
I’d agree that it’s important to be able to make judgements in assessment but also set limits for our determinations... better is such a spotty and variable (and at times) abused word especially when it’s sitting open and naked and clear of any guiding context. I’ve heard some people’s better and thought more wtf than what’s best.... and not everyone writes as carefully as you or goes the extra mile to help qualify their determinations in the criteria of their best.

Just way too many see their preference as being some kind of an absolute and then ruthlessly bash us with it at every post. Latitude in this pursuit is very much a good thing.

Reactions: tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing