Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Here is another earlier model:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
We looked pretty seriously at a Spirio R which can both record (and edit) and playback.) At the time (around fall 2019) we saw and heard two Model B (not quite 7' grands). One was a NY Steinway and the other was a Hamburg Steinway. Price then was about $140K including the Spirio mechanism. We generally have liked the Hamburg Steinways better (although we understand they are getting closer in sound and touch) and we could have gone to Hamburg to pick one we liked, but we ended up not buying one. Impressed by the mechanism and the ability to record your own playing and using the software to correct errors and make subtle and not so subtle changes in tempo and dynamics. Also enjoyed hearing a bunch of famous and not so famous Steinway artists playing. Interestingly at that time, the superstars (like Yuja Wang) had only relatively short pieces in their catalogue. The longer pieces were by the lesser artists. There were also videos that showed the pianists playing on some of the pieces while the piano played what they were playing on the video. We were told about future concerts where you could see the live concert and hear the pieces played on your Spirio.

My understanding is that most of the Spirios have been sold to people who don't play the piano, but want a Steinway as a nice piece of living room furniture which can play itself. Certainly at the price point it is definitely a top 1% purchase (although there are several million in that category in the US alone.) I think the sales have gone up substantially.

We have two grands with our second one a Yamaha S400E which we bought in 1992. We bought it with a Disklavier mechanism so that we could record my wife's playing (very much like a Spirio R) although the editing software is much more crude. Many Yamaha artists have recorded on this system and Yamaha sells disks of their recordings (including some famous artists like Christoph Eschenbach and George Shearing - we have those disks). Since 1992 the Disklavier mechanism has been substantially improved according to Yamaha, now called the Enspire Pro. We haven't auditioned it.

Larry

Reactions: kinch and Bobvin

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
We looked pretty seriously at a Spirio R which can both record (and edit) and playback.) At the time (around fall 2019) we saw and heard two Model B (not quite 7' grands). One was a NY Steinway and the other was a Hamburg Steinway. Price then was about $140K including the Spirio mechanism. We generally have liked the Hamburg Steinways better (although we understand they are getting closer in sound and touch) and we could have gone to Hamburg to pick one we liked, but we ended up not buying one. Impressed by the mechanism and the ability to record your own playing and using the software to correct errors and make subtle and not so subtle changes in tempo and dynamics. Also enjoyed hearing a bunch of famous and not so famous Steinway artists playing. Interestingly at that time, the superstars (like Yuja Wang) had only relatively short pieces in their catalogue. The longer pieces were by the lesser artists. There were also videos that showed the pianists playing on some of the pieces while the piano played what they were playing on the video. We were told about future concerts where you could see the live concert and hear the pieces played on your Spirio.

My understanding is that most of the Spirios have been sold to people who don't play the piano, but want a Steinway as a nice piece of living room furniture which can play itself. Certainly at the price point it is definitely a top 1% purchase (although there are several million in that category in the US alone.) I think the sales have gone up substantially.

We have two grands with our second one a Yamaha S400E which we bought in 1992. We bought it with a Disklavier mechanism so that we could record my wife's playing (very much like a Spirio R) although the editing software is much more crude. Many Yamaha artists have recorded on this system and Yamaha sells disks of their recordings (including some famous artists like Christoph Eschenbach and George Shearing - we have those disks). Since 1992 the Disklavier mechanism has been substantially improved according to Yamaha, now called the Enspire Pro. We haven't auditioned it.

Larry
My son and I tried out the Spirio R on a Steinway model B for one whole afternoon. The accuracy of reproducing the performance is uncanny. Sitting at the piano and hearing the replay from pieces I have recorded, I could not really hear any faults (other than my own !). Sitting away from the piano and hearing my son's playing and the replay, I could not detect any difference either. All the dynamics were reproduced accurately. I can see this as a very valuable tool. A few days later, I had a chat with Meng-Chieh Liu after hearing him play. He was Lang Lang's and Yujia Wang's professor at the Curtis. He told me he is involved in developing the Spiro into a teaching tool. Soon, students from all over the world can benefit from instructions from professors far away, connected through a pair of Spiro R equipped Steinways than can transmit the action in real time through a remote server. I would be interested in investing in such an instrument if there is the possibility of learning from world class teachers.
I have not tried the recent Boesendorfers equipped with the Yamaha system (Enspire Pro). The distributor in Hong Kong just sold the last one they have.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
At the moment.
Why shouldn't Kawai, Yamaha and other manufactures not be able to come with a similar solution.
I think it's only a matter of time (if they decide it's beneficial).

Yamaha has also had digital player pianos for years. As far back as whatever you call those discs that came after the floppy. Even Bosendorfer has been in the game.

If I'm not mistaken they were or maybe still are MIDI based. What I remember is that with the new generation they have upped the data for both time and key pressure and actuators to replicate each key and pedal press. I forget which company's ad it was but the pianos in that ad were being pitched at piano students. Basically you could take remote lessons. That was before the pandemic mind you so zoom wasn't a thing yet LOL

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
If I could buy anything that I have EVER seen on this website, this would be it.

Reactions: Bobvin

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If I could buy anything that I have EVER seen on this website, this would be it.
If I had an aspiring, dedicated child to take after his or her grandma, I would too.

Reactions: Bobvin

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Just received an invitation from our local Steinway Store to attend a live Spiriocast from NYC with pianist Wei Luo playing a concert that will be played through the local Steinway Model D (9 foot grand) with Spirio and a large screen video showing her playing in NYC with a similar Model D Spirio. I have to check our schedule, but it looks very interesting. Limited seating at the Steinway Store, so we have to RSVP. If you are interested, you might contact your local Steinway store to see whether they are doing the same thing. Feb 3 at 5PM Eastern (2 PM Pacific) in the US.

Larry

Reactions: Steve Williams

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
So she is playing in one venue and you will hear it played, without pianist, in another location?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
So she is playing in one venue and you will hear it played, without pianist, in another location?
The beauty of Spirio. I was gobsmacked when I heard it. As I said it is light years ahead of anything else called a player piano

Reactions: SeagoatLeo

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Now I am confused. Is the venue sound with pianist streamed live to the other piano while being played by the pianist? Please explain.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
The information from the pianist's piano (that is the key strike and pedal information) is being transmitted to the local piano in real time which is then is duplicating the pianist's piano. In addition a live video of the performance is being sent to the local locations, so the image of the pianist will be playing on a screen while the notes the pianist is playing will be played by the local piano (with no local pianist). Should be very interesting. Larry

Reactions: kinch and Bobvin

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Larry is correct.

Steve and Philip O'Hanlon and Don Saltzman and several other WBF members and I saw the system demonstrated at an event hosted by Gary Leeds' son-in-law, who is a software engineer for Steinway & Sons.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Is that process a form of digital streaming or some other tech?

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Yes, digital streaming that goes into the Spirio Brain and drives the key acuation according to the file sent to it via WiFi or Bluetooth.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
The salesman at the Steinway showroom said that the Spirio R is much more advanced than the Yamaha system used in Boesendorfers. However, after reading the info on the Boesendorfer, it sounds pretty advanced as well and has been constantly improved since the early days of the Disk clavier. Moreover, the Boesendorfer has a silent option which allows the sound to be heard through headphones. My wife complains of me making too much noise (piano, hi fi etc.) all the time, so that would be perfect. I will definitely look into it some more.

Reactions: gleeds

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
About $180,000 for all features included.
The 7' Steinway we heard played by Greg has an enormous dynamic range with great tonal density. Greg's performance of the Debussy Preludes was sumptuous, better sounding than any recording of them I have in my large collection. If I could afford the piano, that would be the one!

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Has anyone listened to this recording of Rachmaninov playing how own music via piano rolls he made during his lifetime between 1919 and 1929, but now played on a new 7 ft grand Mason & Hamlin with Ampico player machanism?

Not bad for a pianola! And great to hear Rachmaninov's own playing on something rather better than the 78 rpm records he cut in his own lifetime.

Search Qobuz by "Ampico piano recordings"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rachmanino...c2-a57d-833681c84f9d&pd_rd_i=B0000041WS&psc=1

Last edited:

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Has anyone listened to this recording of Rachmaninov playing how own music via piano rolls he made during his lifetime between 1919 and 1929, but now played on a new 7 ft grand Mason & Hamlin with Ampico player machanism?

Not bad for a pianola! And great to hear Rachmaninov's own playing on something rather better than the 78 rpm records he cut in his own lifetime.

Search Qobuz by "Ampico piano recordings"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rachmanino...c2-a57d-833681c84f9d&pd_rd_i=B0000041WS&psc=1
Yes, I've had this Ampico CD for decades. Sonically it is better than most of my LPs and tapes of classical piano roll recordings (I have about 70 of them). It is not comparable to the live performance I heard. Also, the rolls lack subtle inflections and pedal work. They can provide the rhythmic and tonal reproduction of the pianist so I enjoy listening to them. One of my favorite non-classical piano roll CDs is The Greatest Ragtime of the Century. https://www.discogs.com/release/1052088-Various-The-Greatest-Ragtime-Of-The-Century
The Steinway system is absolutely superior to any of my other piano roll recordings. It's musically and audiophile quality better.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Yes, I've had this Ampico CD for decades. Sonically it is better than most of my LPs and tapes of classical piano roll recordings (I have about 70 of them). It is not comparable to the live performance I heard. Also, the rolls lack subtle inflections and pedal work. They can provide the rhythmic and tonal reproduction of the pianist so I enjoy listening to them. One of my favorite non-classical piano roll CDs is The Greatest Ragtime of the Century. https://www.discogs.com/release/1052088-Various-The-Greatest-Ragtime-Of-The-Century
The Steinway system is absolutely superior to any of my other piano roll recordings. It's musically and audiophile quality better.
As I understand the Ampico system, pedal work is included in the "recording" as is finger pressure.

I should seriously hope that the modern Steinway system is an improvement over the mechanical system used by Rachmaninov and his engineers using a system dating from about 1903! However I find it astonishing that one can listen to Rachmaninov playing a piano in 2019 reproduced with remarkable finesse on a modern grand piano and recorded in DDD for CD with zero background noise. Comparing this with his live recordings and the latter is un-listenable to in my view!

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
As I understand the Ampico system, pedal work is included in the "recording" as is finger pressure.

I should seriously hope that the modern Steinway system is an improvement over the mechanical system used by Rachmaninov and his engineers using a system dating from about 1903! However I find it astonishing that one can listen to Rachmaninov playing a piano in 2019 reproduced with remarkable finesse on a modern grand piano and recorded in DDD for CD with zero background noise. Comparing this with his live recordings and the latter is un-listenable to in my view!
I prefer listening to Rachmaninoff 78 rpm recordings with correct equalization and remastering without compression or noisegatng. Listening to him play Chopin Sonata No.2 is overwhelming despite the sonic deficiencies (
) Rachmaninoff playing Mendelssohn Scherzo....

Maybe it's just me, I have 7,000 78s and probably 25% of my now 52,000 LPs/CDs/78s/R2Rs are 78 rpm or cylinder recordings. With my high end system, I'm getting sound never imagined from those recording engineers.

P.S. This is the best Youtube I could find of the recording. My 78s and remastered transfer doesn't have the noisegating (awful isn't it)?

For What's Best Forum readers, listening to 78s won't provide the sonic nirvana we are searching for. For music lovers, they do.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing