Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The third link is disturbing (Ann Coulter always is). The tragedy of terrorism has little to do with Muslim immigration. What about the almost 3 million Muslims living in the US peacefully? Fearmongering for the irrational. The events in Paris were horrible, but this is not the answer.

It's like accusing all Christians of being terrorists because of some lunatic who kills abortion doctors, or like accusing all atheists of being immoral because of some horrible deeds of a deranged atheist.

Can we just stop this crap? We are all human beings.

Tell that to our Conservatives who are already up in arms about the 25,000 Syrian refugees Canada is bringing in. I was reading comments on some posted articles and it's scary to read.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
If trump becomes president, he will make Canada his little bitch...lol

That comment almost convinces me to vote for him. Somehow we need to get even for them sending us Celine Dion.

Then again, we did send them Cher. :D

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
That comment almost convinces me to vote for him. Somehow we need to get even for them sending us Celine Dion.

Then again, we did send them Cher. :D

Wonder if they'll take Hillary too...

david

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Wonder if they'll take Hillary too...

david

I'll gladly trade you a Hillary for Stephen Harper (former PM), but you've got to include Bill.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The third link is disturbing (Ann Coulter always is). The tragedy of terrorism has little to do with Muslim immigration. What about the almost 3 million Muslims living in the US peacefully? Fearmongering for the irrational. The events in Paris were horrible, but this is not the answer.

It's like accusing all Christians of being terrorists because of some lunatic who kills abortion doctors, or like accusing all atheists of being immoral because of some horrible deeds of a deranged atheist.

Not every German was a Nazi nor every Chinese a communist yet tens of millions of people lost their lives to this small percentage, or the group that matters. There's no more worthless phrase than we're all human, argue that the next time you're in the airport exposing your children's innards to radiation!
david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
There's no more worthless phrase than we're all human . . .

While I think there are many equally worthless phrases, sadly, David (if I understand correctly his implication) is, in my view, substantially correct. "We are all human beings" suggests, in that hopeful but naive "progessive"/left view, that, fundamentally, each of us humans is equally worthwhile, with equally valid values, coming from equally good countries, promoting equally legitimate cultures and religions, each deserving of equal respect and honor.

I think events like what happened last night in Paris prove this view to be false.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
"We are all human beings" suggests, in that hopeful but naive "progessive"/left view, that, fundamentally, each of us humans is equally worthwhile, with equally valid values, coming from equally good countries, promoting equally legitimate cultures and religions, each deserving of equal respect and honor.

From the context of my post it should have been obvious that of course this is not at all what I meant. Humans do not hold equally valid values, come from equally good countries, promote equally legitimate cultures and religions, and they do not all deserve equal respect and honor.

However, just because a minority of one group is bad, doesn't mean that the group as a whole is bad. Or do you not think that most of the ca. 3 million Muslims in the US live peaceful and worthy lives? Or that most of the refugees from Syria most likely are decent people?

As David pointed out, not every German was a Nazi either. And I would add, even if a substantial part of the population were, most of them probably did not know fully about all the implications of that ideology.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

<<<>>> I just replied to your above post (quote); right from the heart. And then I clicked on submit...and pouf! ...It vanished.
I don't know what happened but the world we live in needs attention and real care.

* I think there is a problem right now with the internet, and I lost connection; and my post disappeared.
It had roughly 50-60 lines and went directly to the source of the matter; humanity.

For every action there is a reaction. Inside the heart of each man, woman and child there is a dormant archangel.
The planet we all live on; 7.35 billion of people, is the world we created, all of us the privileged ones and the underprivileged.

It's a very sad reality, harsh fact of life, the way we treat each other. Paris is mourning their dead children, looking directly @ each one of us in the soul.
We bleed with them red tears of all our countries of origins...the planet Earth.

P.S. I suspect that I lost my connection (and my post) because of all the traffic today on the internet.

P.P.S. What's wrong with the world, the people who live inside it? Are they thirsty for something? ...Not enough water in our oceans, not enough tears to fill our lives with?

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
From the context of my post it should have been obvious that of course this is not at all what I meant. Humans do not hold equally valid values, come from equally good countries, promote equally legitimate cultures and religions, and they do not all deserve equal respect and honor.

However, just because a minority of one group is bad, doesn't mean that the group as a whole is bad. Or do you not think that most of the ca. 3 million Muslims in the US live peaceful and worthy lives? Or that most of the refugees from Syria most likely are decent people?

I apologize that I misunderstood what you meant.

Of course I agree with you. As I have written in a different context, we must resist the temptation to abrogate the rights of many due to the illegal actions of a very few.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I apologize that I misunderstood what you meant.

Of course I agree with you. As I have written in a different context, we must resist the temptation to abrogate the rights of many due to the illegal actions of a very few.

No problem at all, Ron, and I see we are in perfect agreement, also in what you say in the last sentence of your post.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
"This time it's war!"

I thought we were already in the third world war. ...The war of the powers, the beliefs, the corruptions, the rich versus the poor.

We have it so easy here in Canada, in our own backyard where people live in peace and in harmony.
And yet, ...my own best friend disrespected me the other day and run away with my best girlfriend.

Yes, it's a metaphor, a paradigm inside an enigma of the human nature @ its best true light.
But it still is a fact. ...And the pain, the hurt is real. ...Violations of human rights and values is no better than murdering human identities and souls.

Deep deep prayers to all the Parisian and American and Canadian families of all the victims from district eleven. ...And the others.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

As David pointed out, not every German was a Nazi either. And I would add, even if a substantial part of the population were, most of them probably did not know fully about all the implications of that ideology.

Context again Al, my point that the majority of what they are is irrelevant when the minority part is enough to bring destruction and death. We have no choice but to be concerned with the whole. We are at war with ONE particular culture, ideology that is in direct conflict with what we naively call western civilization and imo we shouldn't expose ourselves until we can properly identify that so called minority. It only took 7 to kill thousands and change our world forever and 1 in power to bring destruction to millions, burden future generations with insurmountable debt and divide the mightiest nation in half to diminish it.

Regarding these so called Syrian refugees one can argue on their behalf as much as one wants but if you succeed to get them into OUR home you should take personal responsibility for anyone's death they cause and be ready to man up and pay the price.

david

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It only took 7 to kill thousands and change our world forever and 1 in power to bring destruction to millions, burden future generations with insurmountable debt and divide the mightiest nation in half to diminish it.

Really? This kind of over-heated rhetoric is in no way helpful, David.

I do agree with you that we have no choice but to be concerned with the whole. One important, but not the only, thing to start with would be clamping down on Saudi Arabia for their support and propagation of Wahhabism, the ultra-conservative and militant interpretation of Islam (by the way, 15 of the 19 attackers on 9/11 were citizens of Saudi Arabia). So far the world has turned a blind eye to this because of oil, of course. This needs to change. Now that the US becomes more energy independent, this actually can change, too.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Really? This kind of over-heated rhetoric is in no way helpful, David.

Not sure helpful to what goal and unfortunately it isn't rhetoric facts are there whoever you want to blame, we're not getting along as a nation.

I do agree with you that we have no choice but to be concerned with the whole. One important, but not the only, thing to start with would be clamping down on Saudi Arabia for their support and propagation of Wahhabism, the ultra-conservative and militant interpretation of Islam (by the way, 15 of the 19 attackers on 9/11 were citizens of Saudi Arabia). So far the world has turned a blind eye to this because of oil, of course. This needs to change. Now that the US becomes more energy independent, this actually can change, too.
I wish it was this simple Al, a recent deal opened the doors for other kinds of horror. There's no point discussing theology here, world and regional history is witness to what that ideology really is, my biggest concern is at home. We're way close to the point of no return and whoever gets job next better know how to mend the nation and lead instead of divide. Our ideological differences aren't the issue, its not respecting the rights and property of others with a different pov than yours that's created this hell. A so called leader that stands up and ridicules half his nation has a different agenda than our best interest at heart.

david

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
We are not getting closer as a nation as you have a whole set of people stoking the fires of hate to make a buck. Thinking that they know everything, that anyone who thinks differently than them is evil or stupid. Stop the hate mongering and things will get better.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
We are not getting closer as a nation as you have a whole set of people stoking the fires of hate to make a buck. Thinking that they know everything, that anyone who thinks differently than them is evil or stupid. Stop the hate mongering and things will get better.
That's why we booted out the Conservatives. People were tired of their fear mongering, blatant racism and creating a divide among citizens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing