Stand mount vs floor standing speakers.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I have never quite understood why anyone buys costly stand-mounts, only to add subs because the bass is inadaquate. OK, stand-mounts may be good in a tiny room or as compuer speakers, but as main speakers in a fine audio system where the room is suitable for full-range floor-standers - no way.

Stand mounts often take just as much floor real estate as floor-standers and you then lose more real estate to ugly (I've yet to see attractive ones) subs.

Cost wise it seems a strange decision too. Extra costs are for stands (again never attractive), extra joinery for additional enclosures, extra amps, extra cables. All this is often because the wrong speakers were chosen in the first place. If you want good bass, get speakers capable of providing it up front. Ones with twin 10" or 12" drivers probably. These are much easier to set up properly than having to deal with 4 sound sources, that often lead people to resort to "room correction" DSP to sort out their self-generated setting up problems. Sorry, anti-sub rant over!

PS - Sorry - I've never heard either of you options, so ignore me!

Reactions: Kal Rubinson

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
If you want to use a subwoofer, be sure to use a cardioid subwoofer, which greatly minimizes room effects because it does not have spherical sound radiation. Place it in the middle of the two monitors. Set up at least 1 foot above the floor. Significantly reduces floor reflections. then it will sound really good, my tip
Pointsource-Cardioid.png

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing