SRA Scuttle tips/feedback

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Hi,
New to the forum, have done some searches and it seems many of you have used SRA equipment. I just pulled the trigger on a scuttle2 and am looking for any tips/feedback on use setup/use and your general comments about its performance.

Thanks.

Jeff

WntrMute2

Sep 23, 2010
Royal Oak, Michigan
Hi,
New to the forum, have done some searches and it seems many of you have used SRA equipment. I just pulled the trigger on a scuttle2 and am looking for any tips/feedback on use setup/use and your general comments about its performance.

Thanks.

Jeff

I've never heard of this. Want to give a little more info?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
It's shipped in a bomb proof case. Have a friend available to unpack and move into position. Set the shelves, place equipment...you are done.

Listen. Smile. Repeat. It's a great investment.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yeah, but what is it?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Equipment Rack

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Ooh. I thought he was talking about SRA for a tonearm/cartridge. Silly me...

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
I get the 4 shelf version, think two people could move it? pretty able. Jazz Doc, you noticed dramatic improvement? Was never able to audition, big purchase without hands on. The people at SRA, and everything I read on isolation equipment really pointed to the scuttle as the best overall performance without going off the deepend :)

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Its an easy two person job. The composite shelves are removeable. One person can carry a shelf at a time and the frame itself is bulky but quite manageable.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Its an easy two person job. The composite shelves are removeable. One person can carry a shelf at a time and the frame itself is bulky but quite manageable.

I'm not so sure that one person can solo a large shelf. Maybe with a single across SRA rack but not with the side-by-side setup. I know I couldn't when I set mine up. Not sure if the Scuttle uses the same material with the shelves.

One thing that I found is that as good as the rack is, it still benefits from the use of the SRA Isobases under equipment. In my case, the Isobases made a pronounced difference under the cj GAT preamp.

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I'm not so sure that one person can solo a large shelf. Maybe with a single across SRA rack but not with the side-by-side setup. I know I couldn't when I set mine up. Not sure if the Scuttle uses the same material with the shelves.

One thing that I found is that as good as the rack is, it still benefits from the use of the SRA Isobases under equipment. In my case, the Isobases made a pronounced difference under the cj GAT preamp.

Miles,

The shelving material is the same on both racks that SRA makes, just thicker on the Craz.

kleinbje,
But since it is a double size rack I would get help either way. Remove the shelves first then the frame should be easier to manage.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I get the 4 shelf version, think two people could move it? pretty able. Jazz Doc, you noticed dramatic improvement? Was never able to audition, big purchase without hands on. The people at SRA, and everything I read on isolation equipment really pointed to the scuttle as the best overall performance without going off the deepend :)

Definitely worthwhile with what you would expect with improved vibration control. Improved frequency extension and definition. Quieter backgrounds. Definitely get a buddy to help. It's a 2-person job.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com

Myles:

Come work out with me. :D

I have a two wide Scuttle rack. The shelf isn't light but its not hernia inducing.

Ken

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles:

Come work out with me. :D

I have a two wide Scuttle rack. The shelf isn't light but its not hernia inducing.

Ken

Guess we need to define hernia inducing :) Well I guess the Craz shelf is a bit heavier--and it's awkward. Kevin helped me put mine together :)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Myles,
Opinions on the different scuttles, vs Craz?

I know your question was directed to Myles, but this is what Kevin Tellenkamp of SRA wrote apropos to your question...

I prefer to answer your question this way, as its impossible for a father to choose one child over another.

In certain applications, the Scuttle will come close to equaling Craz², the A/B’s you describe go on at SRA daily. Simply put, Scuttle has no competition outside Craz², we have run side x sides vs. everything you can think of and won, which is one of the reasons we are so excited about this product from its performance standpoint. Then when you look at price & turn times into account, it becomes a very easy decision. This is truly an amazing product!

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Thanks. Exactly what i was hoping to hear. Tim one of the engineers actually recommended I just get the scuttle 2 and not spend $2500 more for the 3. I was impressed, as you don't get such unbiased advice that often.

Blam!

Apr 8, 2012
Germany
Sigh. I wished the SRA racks were availible in Europe. I really love the two wide Scuttle rack.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
It just got here. 550# crate sitting in my garage. No instructions though! Any unpacking tips?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing