Spectral's website

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Not sure that is the case as the "SV" circuit design is relatively recent and using "SV" in a product name just signifies the product is based on that circuit, afaik. In any event, the 30SV has been out for a number of years without an externally recognized update, such as a mk II, and with all of the new amps and one CD player they have come out with in the meantime, one might suspect an update is in the works. Or, they could be working on the phono section and DAC :)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So the initial word is that the 500SV has some parts not available when the 500AR came out (the AR did feature the Super Veloce topology). Not sure if this results in sonic improvements, but time will tell. Really glad more folks will be able to experience these amps.

Reactions: Jms57 and Mdp632

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Agreed. These amps deserve more profile than they have received, and hopefully this is a regular production model that many folks will get the chance to hear. When I dropped them into my system, it may have been the biggest improvement I have ever heard from any single component. They replaced 400 RS monos, that already sounded pretty darn good.

Robertd

May 13, 2015
Don't know anything about the "500SV"; price will tell a lot, and I am sure you'll find details on Goodwin's website in due time. And I guess, still no phono this year; UGH!!!! Thankfully, I finally fixed my XP-25 to be able to use max gain (76dB) plus 47K loading for great dynamics and very low noise.
What are the odds spectral ever releases that phone stage? I’m thinking they just like to torture their devotees

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
What are the odds spectral ever releases that phone stage? I’m thinking they just like to torture their devotees

I am starting to suspect and fear that Spectral can no longer innovate to the point they can effectively compete with source equipment. I am losing faith really fast.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
We need to remember that Spectral is a small company. If their dedicated production schedule is full and they have future orders on the books they may see their business model as very successful.

Even though we crave new sources or next level components Spectral seem very happy with the business they have.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
My guess is that they sell everything they make and are quite happy doing it. If I was going to spend $10k on a pre amp and $20k on an amp, it would be Spectral all the way. Best sounding stuff I have heard.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Had an opportunity to listen to the pre-production v2 of the SV preamp and new monoblocks today. They were feeding a pair of Wilson Chronosonic XVS speakers. Sweet. Perfect match for these big boys. Great bass and control throughout. Wonderful pinpoint image with almost holographic soundstage front/back/top/bottom. Likely lots of new design work along with parts are going into these.

Reactions: ack

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Sounds like you might have been at Music Lovers in Berkeley or at the Spectral facility in the South Bay?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The 30SV Series2 is on my radar - will be announced very soon.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Had an opportunity to listen to the pre-production v2 of the SV preamp and new monoblocks today. They were feeding a pair of Wilson Chronosonic XVS speakers. Sweet. Perfect match for these big boys. Great bass and control throughout. Wonderful pinpoint image with almost holographic soundstage front/back/top/bottom. Likely lots of new design work along with parts are going into these.

That must have been a real treat! Would love to listen to that system

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Yes it was Music Lovers. I happened to stop by as my salesperson, Grant, who I've worked with many years, is moving back East to N.C. with his family. He happened to let me in on the Spectral gear and I spent about 1/2 or so listening. Very likely trade-ins at a dealer where you purchased your Spectral gear will offer upgrade pricing of some kind. I know I received that as I made upgrades from one Spectral amp to another as well as prior preamps.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
@stevebythebay @ack Is this 30SV S2 a two chassis pre-amp?

Also what has changed over the previous gen? Very confusing for the consumer.

Regarding the 500SV amps and now 30SV S2 Pre amp?

Or, are they in fact the same product but, just produced using newer parts as the older parts from supplies are no longer available?

Love their products but, just wish the website was more descriptive to the customer.

Last edited:

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012

Or, are they in fact the same product but, just produced using newer parts as the older parts from supplies are no longer available?

Love their products but, just wish the website was more descriptive to the customer.

The pre does not appear to be a dual chassis. As for other changes, I suppose we‘ll have to await an official press release or some other documentation. I believe, as is typical of the Johnson and Fryer, they simply dropped it off and left. Maybe their approach of “give it a go” is to avoid planting any notions in dealers heads, so they can get a fresh assessmen.

Reactions: Mdp632

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

It’s the same single-chassis preamp, just revised. Don’t know much else. I’ll drop in at goodwin’s tomorrow and I am fairly certain they will also have one of these pieces. They are just unnecessarily secretive about it; typical Spectral nonsense

Reactions: Mdp632

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Guessing new parts substitution. Perhaps next generation SHHA line modules. Increased slew and decreased noise. Spectral definitely know what they are doing when it comes to these circuits.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing