Spec Corp Jp GMP-8000 tt

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, signature tonearm prices going up all the time.
I believe the Primary Control FCL, new Thales Statement (pivoted linear tracker) and SAT, are all $25k plus.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, signature tonearm prices going up all the time.
I believe the Primary Control FCL, new Thales Statement (pivoted linear tracker) and SAT, are all $25k plus.

Marc,

I've been sitting here considering the well meaning encouragement you and Ked are giving me to broaden my vinyl outlook to include more arms and cartridges (and in Ked's case, more tt's too). I'm also feeing the pressure to not get ahead of myself, as the AS is all I can chew on for the time being considering my other recent acquisitions.

part of me would like to put my mind on these other fun things; I read about various cool cartridges and arms and get excited to investigate like anyone. maybe a way I see it is that these things are around the corner from my current viewpoint. so rather than say what I'm not going to do then, i'll just say that when I do actually get around the corner in front of me, that who knows what then? more arms? carts? tt's?

if my priorities lean that way then, who knows?

right now I have no comment on the changing tone arm price landscape.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Mike. In addition to my interest in Saskia, no more now, and Spec, spec-ulative (pun intended) for the time being, my other interest in below the radar brands is Primary Control, out of Amsterdam, NL, www.primarycontrol.nl
The designer is a fascinating chap, Bernd Hemmen, who runs a range of four tonearms, from €3k Arrow, to €7k Reference, €13k Gravity, up to the afore mentioned flagship €25k FCL field coil arm, apparently a world's first, and also the Kinea DD tt, which at €11k to incl Arrow tonearm and personal install by the designer, is formally on my radar.
I would bring him to your attention, and if you go for a reference grade, unusual tonearm, check out the FCL.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Marc,

I've been sitting here considering the well meaning encouragement you and Ked are giving me to broaden my vinyl outlook to include more arms and cartridges (and in Ked's case, more tt's too). I'm also feeing the pressure to not get ahead of myself, as the AS is all I can chew on for the time being considering my other recent acquisitions.

part of me would like to put my mind on these other fun things; I read about various cool cartridges and arms and get excited to investigate like anyone. maybe a way I see it is that these things are around the corner from my current viewpoint. so rather than say what I'm not going to do then, i'll just say that when I do actually get around the corner in front of me, that who knows what then? more arms? carts? tt's?

if my priorities lean that way then, who knows?

right now I have no comment on the changing tone arm price landscape.

Mike, let me ask you another question - of the various component categories - digital, speakers, amps, analog components - which category do you have more components that you would like to try, and where you can possibly like a broader array of things, in which ranking is less clear? I find it's analog. I also find that analog threads are friendlier, in the sense that people are willing to accept differing experiences and viewpoints more, possibly indicating that many feel the same way.

When I started my search on analog, I asked Mik to recommend some favorite TTs - he replied that I was asking the wrong guy, he loves all TTs. This statement did not make sense to me then, coming from digital, but it does now to an extent. He said he had a Techdas AF2 and Kodo Beat next to each other then, he was preferring the AF2, put the Air Tangent on the Kodo, then he preferred the Kodo more. He also preferred many others.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, I could easily imagine wanting a Schopper 124, PTP Solid 12 and Torqueo for different flavours of idler; SP10R, Kodo The Beat and NVS for DD; Spec GMP-8000, Kuzma Stabi M and AS-2000 for belt.
Then again, I love NAT, Koda and Ypsilon.
Zu, Apogee Duetta Interstella and Cessaro Liszt.
You get my drift.
I do look in awe at guys like Gian and Shakti who really do run multiple tts and esp carts, even those guys like Mike L running to two alternatives.
In the real world where finances are tighter, or space is an issue, a single tt/arm/cart is still going to be the norm.
For me I can't ever see myself on a daily basis accommodating more than the one rig.
And so for me, within the parameters I've set myself, I'd like to settle on the one rig, whether it's my current one, or something like the Spec/SAEC.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Ked, I could easily imagine wanting a Schopper 124, PTP Solid 12 and Torqueo for different flavours of idler; SP10R, Kodo The Beat and NVS for DD; Spec GMP-8000, Kuzma Stabi M and AS-2000 for belt.
You get my drift.
I do look in awe at guys like Gian and Shakti who really do run multiple tts and esp carts, even those guys like Mike L running to two alternatives.
In the real world where finances are tighter, or space is an issue, a single tt/arm/cart is still going to be the norm.
For me I can't ever see myself on a daily basis accommodating more than the one rig.
And so for me, within the parameters I've set myself, I'd like to settle on the one rig, whether it's my current one, or something like the Spec/SAEC.

Hey SOM,

You are constellating around a super solution...the SPEC/SAEC combo is really wonderful audio kit!! Either the SAEC, or the IKEDA/FR 66s, tonearms would be a good solution.

No compromises here with the SPEC GMP-8000 when compared to any of the other turntables mentioned in this thread. They are all good and capable solutions; whether, SPEC-great brain, EMT-reconditioned, AS-2000-remanufactured, Kondo-new design, Micro-Seike/Techdas-great brain, Schoppler 124-updated, NVS-NASA, and etc.

I would like to add one more to the list...Kondo GINGA system with the Kondo adapted SME tonearm, Kondo cartridge, and that monster universal performer, the SFz silver SUT.

Happy hunting and keep'em spinning...

Cheers!
ALF

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, let me ask you another question - of the various component categories - digital, speakers, amps, analog components - which category do you have more components that you would like to try, and where you can possibly like a broader array of things, in which ranking is less clear? I find it's analog. I also find that analog threads are friendlier, in the sense that people are willing to accept differing experiences and viewpoints more, possibly indicating that many feel the same way.

Ked, you already know my answer. the most fun part and what I would like to try is for sure the vinyl chain variances. no doubt. it's all so cool and so many shades of sexy. but knowing my previous experience when I did that for all the right reasons, I recall what I actually did. which was just use one tt, arm and cart. and then look around and enjoy the 'collection'. so if i have the opportunity to 'collect' anything in high end audio, it will likely be vinyl related.

more RTR decks would also be fun but why would I do it? I'm not going to find any better there.

the only other area where I have even a bit of curiosity is tube amps; but my system is so finely tuned that changing amps is really more a concept than real. the price I pay for having extremely spendy amplifiers. I have no compulsion to experiment further with digital except the natural progression of the Select II and the SGM.

When I started my search on analog, I asked Mik to recommend some favorite TTs - he replied that I was asking the wrong guy, he loves all TTs. This statement did not make sense to me then, coming from digital, but it does now to an extent. He said he had a Techdas AF2 and Kodo Beat next to each other then, he was preferring the AF2, put the Air Tangent on the Kodo, then he preferred the Kodo more. He also preferred many others.

I think Mik is living the life we would all like to live. and I'm happy for him. the rest of us have to choose on which little part or piece we can enjoy. having spoken to Mik a few times on the phone i know he has a strong preference for the artifacts/character of linear trackers; such as the Rockport and Air Tangent. so your comments are not a surprise. the Kodo Beat is a fine tt and would not hold back any arm you mount on it.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

+1 +2 +3 +5

This is exactly how I feel. And to my personal fulfillment, I want to really know why people claim this tt is better than that, or this drivetrain is better than the other, etc. To really know that they have to be in my own system using same arm, cart, electronics, speakers and cables. Also some tts are fun to learn and I like the process of going through challenges. For example the 927, itis very old. The arm is also very old but I want to put mordern carts on it and also a second arm. Sound simple but actually not. Some wonderful people in this forum like David K. gave me some advise how. But when you actually put your hands on it, there are a bit more challenges to learn and overcome. So it is fun.

I think when you already find "the tone" that is very organic and natural from your system the rest you can play with different sources that give different sound presentations. Some presentation sounds pleasing, some presentation less pleasing but more realism, etc. But as long as it is not artificial flavour to my ears, they all good. I like a really good burger as much as a Thai beef curry.

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey SOM,

You are constellating around a super solution...the SPEC/SAEC combo is really wonderful audio kit!! Either the SAEC, or the IKEDA/FR 66s, tonearms would be a good solution.

No compromises here with the SPEC GMP-8000 when compared to any of the other turntables mentioned in this thread. They are all good and capable solutions; whether, SPEC-great brain, EMT-reconditioned, AS-2000-remanufactured, Kondo-new design, Micro-Seike/Techdas-great brain, Schoppler 124-updated, NVS-NASA, and etc.

I would like to add one more to the list...Kondo GINGA system with the Kondo adapted SME tonearm, Kondo cartridge, and that monster universal performer, the SFz silver SUT.

Happy hunting and keep'em spinning...

Cheers!
ALF

Hi, do you have experience with Schopper 124?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You get my drift.

What experience do you have with Ypsilon outside Munich?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Home demo Ypsilon pre and SET 100's.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've now heard top Ypsilon, Koda and NAT at home (latter not the top of range)
All are lovely, bring different things to the party.
Koda is tone and texture King, does something very interesting w perception of time.
Ypsilon is the transparency and imaging winner, music holographic.
NAT not quite in their league, but more even across range of music, most muscular and propulsive.
I can only guess how good Magnetostat and Magmas would be in this room esp, in comparison to similarly priced top Koda.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Have been informed by UK distribr that the Spec is going to be at Munich next yr. That'll be my first contact to see and hear if it's something I want to aspire to.
My current analog will have been running for a few months by then, and I'll have a reasonable comparison at that point.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Why not have the distributor ask the German customer if you can visit him to have a listen?
This is how our mutual friend would proceed and this is IMHO more result oriented than lament about the fact that there is only one and that one is in Germany...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Christoph, that's pretty much what I've suggested. At the whim of the customer, language etc.
At least I know it's showing in Munich, and the designer may be there.
This is not a rushed decision, so I'm happy to take things slowly.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well Len, eagle eyed audiophiles will spot it has no arm on it, so it's safe to gather it was on static display.
Europe doesn't appear to be a big mkt, so maybe no suprise it wasn't playing.
She IS a beaut, yes?

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Well Len, eagle eyed audiophiles will spot it has no arm on it, so it's safe to gather it was on static display.
Europe doesn't appear to be a big mkt, so maybe no suprise it wasn't playing.
She IS a beaut, yes?

The names Lee, and yes she was a beauty

At the end of the day mate it’s your money but unless you can hear one at home in your system I wouldn’t buy it. There’s plenty of turntables at the price for one of these can be demo’d here in the U.K. and get one in your system and home to try out.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Lee, you'd be amazed how hard it is to get a demo at home, even on well regarded models.
But I have to agree with you.
I really really struggle w the UK Kuzma dealer, I wouldn't touch the two GPA Monaco UK dealers, I not going to pay above the odds (£20k) for a TW or SME etc.
I don't rate the £15k AMG.
That leaves Brinkmann and one of my other "left field" tts, the Primary Control Kinea DD
I suspect I might have to pay for the luxury of a home demo of the Kinea, but at least I'd get one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing