Sound of playback software

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
in my seemingly infinite trials to achieve great digital success, to me there are many roads to travel. Some roads counter our ability to understand it can be better than past trials.
I'm wondering what playback software do we use
please make comments not about the server but only the player used.
non sound the same to me in any given setup
im curious how others feel

Pack66184

Oct 20, 2017
in my seemingly infinite trials to achieve great digital success, to me there are many roads to travel. Some roads counter our ability to understand it can be better than past trials.
I'm wondering what playback software do we use
I have settled in with J. River. The interface seems easiest to use with the multiple choices and arrangements for the output.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I have settled in with J. River. The interface seems easiest to use with the multiple choices and arrangements for the output.
Yes and capable of bit-perfect output, if set right and if that's what you want.

Republicoftexas69

Innous Sense.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I'm amazed that even with bluetooth connections and also my Beats Fit Pro IEMs, if I use Audirvana as the front end, the sound is noticeably better.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

omasciarotte

Feb 24, 2022
Saint Paul MN US
www.maat.digital
…I'm wondering what playback software do we use

Agreed, all players sound as different as their designers are. I’ve listened to many and have settled on ones that stick to playing only audio. Though that narrows the choices a good bit, those left usually alter the sound relative to a master tape or HRA digital master…
The most transparent I’ve found so far is Amarra Luxe, closely followed by Audirvana. I alternate between those two, depending on what I’m doing.

jaynyc

VIP/Donor
Dec 5, 2016
Not sure if you are asking about any/all playback software for any/all hardware, but if you are asking about Windows specifically, the 2 best I have heard are jPlay Femto and PlayPCMwin.

Reactions: Marcin_gps

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing