Soulution 520/511 for Rockport

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
Hi all,

I have been looking at a few SS options for my newly acquired Rockport Atria II and one direction I can go is the Soulution 520/511.

I haven’t heard the Soulution combo yet but I am curious how these actually sounds. Only prior listening experience were thru Magico S3Mk2 driven by a Soulution 330.

Really appreciate some opinions on the choice of amplification.

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
I have not heard Soulution on Rockports, but I have on my Magico S3’s. It was not for me.

I have heard CH Precision on my S3’s and a pair of Atria II’s I had in my room for audition and it sounded good on both.

Reactions: bob82

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
I have not heard Soulution on Rockports, but I have on my Magico S3’s. It was not for me.

I have heard CH Precision on my S3’s and a pair of Atria II’s I had in my room for audition and it sounded good on both.
I had a peek at the CH Precision A1 too but haven't had the opportunity to listen to them yet.

benito

Jul 23, 2018
France
Absolare integrated, cheaper !! High end Munich. Know someone (whith very good ears) who was there and he was enthusiastic by this couple.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Another idea is Nagra. Nagra and Rockport's are paired up often. Nagra Classic Preamp and Amp or Nagra HD (more $'s). I've heard the Nagra Classic Pre and Amp on my dealers Rockport Atria's. It's a great combo...

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
I drive my Aviors with Burmester 911 in mono config. Haven’t tried other amps frankly. But every time I go out there, listen to stuff and come back home, I feel happy I’m back home to my rig.....

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
Another idea is Nagra. Nagra and Rockport's are paired up often. Nagra Classic Preamp and Amp or Nagra HD (more $'s). I've heard the Nagra Classic Pre and Amp on my dealers Rockport Atria's. It's a great combo...
I considered the Nagra Classic too and have heard them before. I will have a chat with the dealer.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I've heard VTL Siegfried MKII and Hegel H30 on Altair MKII and Atria. Both are very good but different. I suggest go demo and buy what sounds best to you.

Base on my experience with Rockport, would not rule out Soulution 520/511.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I like Rockport and Nagra as well. It never sounds boring.

Dave

bob82

Dec 12, 2019

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I recall when Solution was the darling of the audio shows. Ii think it was the 7000 series IIRC. I was quite impressed when it was driving YG .speakers. It did have an ability to handle to most box speakers well. It was the 700 monoblocks. 710 stereo amp, and 720 preamp.

UPDATE​

199_ER_Soulution_700_2.jpg

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I owned the 511 (used as monoblocs)" before I acquired the 701 last year. (It's actually a newer design than the 701 and an excellent value.) I don't know the 520 (I use a 725 pre) but I can say that the Soulution sound is as good as what is feeding it. There are so many good choices out there but its hard to go wrong with with these Swiss sound machines. I see your current rig uses a VAC tube pre and a Bryston 4B3 for power. That's a very nice combo and going to an all SS pre and power amp (whether Soulution or another brand) is a different beast completely. Are you sure that's what you are seeking? I would also add that Soulution electronics plus Nordost cabling may not be a marriage made in heaven. You might find that some tailoring of the overall sound with select ICs, PCs, and speaker cable might be in order to make the Soutution combo really sing.

Last edited:
Reactions: RussR and bob82

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
I owned the 511 (used as monoblocs)" before I acquired the 701 last year. (It's actually a newer design than the 701 and an excellent value.) I don't know the 520 (I use a 725 pre) but I can say that the Soulution sound is as good as what is feeding it. There are so many good choices out there but its hard to go wrong with with these Swiss sound machines. I see your current rig uses a VAC tube pre and a Bryston 4B3 for power. That's a very nice combo and going to an all SS pre and power amp (whether Soulution or another brand) is a different beast completely. Are you sure that's what you are seeking? I would also add that Soulution electronics plus Nordost cabling may not a marriage made in heaven. You might find that some tailoring of the overall sound with select ICs, PCs, and speaker cable might be in order to make the Soutution combo really sing.
Marty

I might just keep the Bryston for a little while or go up the Bryston chain or even get matching VAC amp. I realized it was a difficult combo to beat. Coming back to the Soulution, I reckon it needed more than a mid level cabling to make it sing better.

Fidelity88

Jan 22, 2020
I personally owned many brand listed above and since moved on from Soulution 701 and D’Agostino S250/AR Reference 10 to Absolare Signature Integrated, I could not be happier. This is the kind of sound that I have been searching for all my life. It brings tears to my eyes for every listening session...it is so musical involving that touches one’s heart...IMHO The Absolare Signature Integrated is a next level lifetime piece of audio gear for what it does magical to one’s system.

A few words to describe:
Zero fatigue with detail, soundstage, vocals, presence, holographic sound, 3 dimensionality, and it gives a very realistic human presentation, emotions, palpable sound!

Reactions: bob82 and christoph

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
Folks,

Update: I decided to get Soulution on a swap deal instead. I am still waiting for Atria II to be delivered so I can evaluate the Soulution's for 3 months as I am starting again from scratch.

I am still considering Nagra as well. Absolare in the integrated guise is an excellent suggestion as well.

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
I personally owned many brand listed above and since moved on from Soulution 701 and D’Agostino S250/AR Reference 10 to Absolare Signature Integrated, I could not be happier. This is the kind of sound that I have been searching for all my life. It brings tears to my eyes for every listening session...it is so musical involving that touches one’s heart...IMHO The Absolare Signature Integrated is a next level lifetime piece of audio gear for what it does magical to one’s system.

A few words to describe:
Zero fatigue with detail, soundstage, vocals, presence, holographic sound, 3 dimensionality, and it gives a very realistic human presentation, emotions, palpable sound!
Been in contact with the dealer here on Absolare Passion Integrated. Seems like a good proposition at a very nice price point. He has agreed to send his demo unit over for audition. Thanks.

Fidelity88

Jan 22, 2020
I would recommend seeking for the Absolare Signature Integrated to try rather than the Passion model...quite a big step up in musical quality!

RSFN

Jun 14, 2021
Folks,

Update: I decided to get Soulution on a swap deal instead. I am still waiting for Atria II to be delivered so I can evaluate the Soulution's for 3 months as I am starting again from scratch.

I am still considering Nagra as well. Absolare in the integrated guise is an excellent suggestion as well.
Hi Bob, I have Rockports myself and I have heard the atrias2 with Soulution 560/511 this week…very good. I think you cloud try an 560 dac that has an output stage based on the 520 and the new leed volume control. There was no noticeable difference (for me of course) going direct and through the 525 that ws available there to listen. I go direct from dac to the amps and just traded my msb reference dac for the 560. In the context of my system it was a big upgrade.Try if you can…

bob82

Dec 12, 2019
Hi Bob, I have Rockports myself and I have heard the atrias2 with Soulution 560/511 this week…very good. I think you cloud try an 560 dac that has an output stage based on the 520 and the new leed volume control. There was no noticeable difference (for me of course) going direct and through the 525 that ws available there to listen. I go direct from dac to the amps and just traded my msb reference dac for the 560. In the context of my system it was a big upgrade.Try if you can…
Hi, currently have the dCS Bartok on preamp duties. I will get the Soulution 520 to complete the rig from the guy who sold me the 511 as I dig the onboard phono. Rockports driven by the Soulutions have a bit of dark, alluring sound but stupendous bottom end extension.

Reactions: RSFN

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing