Smooth musical cabling suggestion

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I was thinking of putting one behind the Conditionner and one behing my Diablo 300.
My DAC is plugged into the conditionner just like my streamer, Switch and Router as opposed to my Diablo 300 which is plugged directly into the wall outlet.
Do you think the amp will not benefit from it ?
I would experiment, including trying one on the conditioner and plugging your amp into the conditioner, while putting the other one on the DAC. I have found digital components to benefit the most by having a 640X directly on them and amps the least, although everything in my system benefits from having one on the power conditioner. I have also found my amps to sound better plugged into the power conditioner (Bybee Stealth Power Purifier) and have never had any current draw issues. But if you leave your amp plugged into the wall I would suggest trying a passive filter on it like the Prana Linebacker or Furutech Flux 50 NCF (G).

Last edited:

Mr P

Apr 17, 2015
Fort Myers, Florida
I was thinking of putting one behind the Conditionner and one behing my Diablo 300.
My DAC is plugged into the conditionner just like my streamer, Switch and Router as opposed to my Diablo 300 which is plugged directly into the wall outlet.
Do you think the amp will not benefit from it ?
I have the Niagara 3000 and use four 640Xs. At some point in your experimentation I recommend you plug one 640X directly into your streamer and the other directly into your DAC. Then plug both components directly into the wall. I found that bypassing the Niagara with this configuration resulted in noticeable improvement. My Niagara is now totally out of the system. For the other two 640Xs I have one plugged into my amplifier and one plugged into the linear power supply that powers the EtherRegen and associated master clock. These components are also plugged in directly to the wall.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I have the Niagara 3000 and use four 640Xs. At some point in your experimentation I recommend you plug one 640X directly into your streamer and the other directly into your DAC. Then plug both components directly into the wall. I found that bypassing the Niagara with this configuration resulted in noticeable improvement. My Niagara is now totally out of the system. For the other two 640Xs I have one plugged into my amplifier and one plugged into the linear power supply that powers the EtherRegen and associated master clock. These components are also plugged in directly to the wall.
The benefits of the LessLoss 640X filters have been additive in every system I’ve tried them in (and every review of them). Agree that the streamer would benefit from having one of its own. However every power conditioner I’ve tried or heard with one added to it has benefited. If you have to remove your power conditioner from the system in order to maximum the benefit of the 640X that suggests a problem with the power conditioner itself. I understand that some people believe that high power amps work better plugged directly into the wall. My experience has been the opposite. Everyplace I’ve lived in the USA my amps and the amps of friends’ systems including 300+ w/ch amps have sounded better plugged into a power conditioner. A compatible power conditioner will always result in less noise in your system than AC directly from the wall, with or without the 640X. The trick is to find one that doesn’t restrict instantaneous current draw at all (I have one).

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi Mr P, did you ever find the Niagara 3000 restricted current for your amp when plugged in the high current inlet of the Niagara ?

Mr P

Apr 17, 2015
Fort Myers, Florida
The benefits of the LessLoss 640X filters have been additive in every system I’ve tried them in (and every review of them). Agree that the streamer would benefit from having one of its own. However every power conditioner I’ve tried or heard with one added to it has benefited. If you have to remove your power conditioner from the system in order to maximum the benefit of the 640X that suggests a problem with the power conditioner itself. I understand that some people believe that high power amps work better plugged directly into the wall. My experience has been the opposite. Everyplace I’ve lived in the USA my amps and the amps of friends’ systems including 300+ w/ch amps have sounded better plugged into a power conditioner. A compatible power conditioner will always result in less noise in your system than AC directly from the wall, with or without the 640X. The trick is to find one that doesn’t restrict instantaneous current draw at all (I have one).
To clarify, I am sharing my experience in my system. Nothing more and nothing less. Every system is different and there is no “one solution fits all”.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
So if i understand if you can afford only two 640x better put them behing streamer and DAC ?

Mr P

Apr 17, 2015
Fort Myers, Florida
Hi Mr P, did you ever find the Niagara 3000 restricted current for your amp when plugged in the high current inlet of the Niagara ?
In my system I did not experience restricted current when the amp was plugged into the 3000, but I also did not experience any noticeable improvements. Using a 640X with the amp plugged into the wall there is a slight decrease in the noise floor, but not nearly as great as adding them to the server and DAC. You will need to experiment to see what works best in your system.

Reactions: Cellcbern

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Thanks guys, i'll keep you posted.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Thanks guys, i'll keep you posted.

Hey,

Have you been trying the filters yet?
In case you still find the highs a bit too forward, may I suggest a free tip.
Maybe elevate your speakers or lower your seating position so your ears are 10/15 cm below tweeters.
If your speakers are very directive and I know the gryphon can be very powerful and your cables are very transparent, maybe you have too much energy up top.
I have found on many occasions that spending time adjusting speaker and seating position rewarded me with bigger results than I was expecting.

Cheers,

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hey,

Have you been trying the filters yet?
In case you still find the highs a bit too forward, may I suggest a free tip.
Maybe elevate your speakers or lower your seating position so your ears are 10/15 cm below tweeters.
If your speakers are very directive and I know the gryphon can be very powerful and your cables are very transparent, maybe you have too much energy up top.
I have found on many occasions that spending time adjusting speaker and seating position rewarded me with bigger results than I was expecting.

Cheers,
Yes i'm using 2 Lessloss 640x firewalls, one behind my Diablo 300 and the other one behind the Niagara 3000.
It does help reducing glare in the trebel, sound is more organic and voices are very realistic.
Next up i'll be trying Odeion Sigma SC and IC : http://www.odeion-cables.com/
Soon will also demo Cardas Clear Beyond SC, Clear Reflection SC and IC and Tellurium Q Statement SC and IC.
I'm also looking at Hijiri top of the line cables, spoke to the distributor.

Reactions: _Alchemist_

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Yes i'm using 2 Lessloss 640x firewalls, one behind my Diablo 300 and the other one behind the Niagara 3000.
It does help reducing glare in the trebel, sound is more organic and voices are very realistic.
Soon will also demo Cardas Clear Beyond SC, Clear Reflection SC and IC and Tellurium Q Statement SC and IC.
Glad the filters are working! I'm sure it will improve more with time

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
If you have the opportunity try the Lessloss Entropic interconnects (speaker cables coming) which you may be able to get from The Cable Company's lending library. Also try Echole and Hemingway if you can which in my experience are several levels above Cardas Clear and Tellurium Q.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I don't have access to the Cable Company's library since i live in Europe.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Anyone listened to both Hijiri top of the line SC and IC and Tellurium Q Statement ?
What's you take ?

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
Anyone listened to both Hijiri top of the line SC and IC and Tellurium Q Statement ?
What's you take ?
I did a demo with a TQ Statement loom of speaker cables, interconnects, and power cables and then a second demo with the speaker cable (and maybe the interconnect again - it's been at least 2 years)
As a loom, it was compelling. It was smooth and musical.

On their own, and in my opinion, the speaker cables were the best performers. While they appeared to be solid copper, the sound was naturally extended in frequency and contour. Nothing was overdone and the sound was close to ideal for me. During the second demo almost a year after the first the separated speaker leads at the end of the speaker cables had seen wear and tear and the pvc-looking covering on the cable was torn exposing the conductors. I only saw copper-colored cable inside.

The interconnect, on its own, was not as good as other interconnects that I own.

The power cables were unlike most audiophile power cables I've used especially at their price. They had more in common with a good stock power cable than something more esoteric. I'd say they had a smoothing effect, overall. They didn't seem to be detail oriented. I'm not sure I could see anyone purchasing them on their own. I feel like their performance could be had at a much lower price.

In the end I felt all of them were overpriced by a fair margin. Because the interconnect and power cables fell short against other cables in my comparisons, I couldn't help but feel that way.

But I went back and forth about purchasing the speaker cables for well over a year. I think it's overpriced but I liked it. I like the sound of copper and this was a very refined sounding speaker cable with a very musical but clean sound. I could definitely build a satisfying system of cabling around it and someday maybe I'll give it a shot if the price is right. Pricing was not compelling here in the USA.

But as a loom, they were cohesive sounding and compelling. If the price is right where you are, or if the performance excels in your system, you might consider them.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I did a demo with a TQ Statement loom of speaker cables, interconnects, and power cables and then a second demo with the speaker cable (and maybe the interconnect again - it's been at least 2 years)
As a loom, it was compelling. It was smooth and musical.

On their own, and in my opinion, the speaker cables were the best performers. While they appeared to be solid copper, the sound was naturally extended in frequency and contour. Nothing was overdone and the sound was close to ideal for me. During the second demo almost a year after the first the separated speaker leads at the end of the speaker cables had seen wear and tear and the pvc-looking covering on the cable was torn exposing the conductors. I only saw copper-colored cable inside.

The interconnect, on its own, was not as good as other interconnects that I own.

The power cables were unlike most audiophile power cables I've used especially at their price. They had more in common with a good stock power cable than something more esoteric. I'd say they had a smoothing effect, overall. They didn't seem to be detail oriented. I'm not sure I could see anyone purchasing them on their own. I feel like their performance could be had at a much lower price.

In the end I felt all of them were overpriced by a fair margin. Because the interconnect and power cables fell short against other cables in my comparisons, I couldn't help but feel that way.

But I went back and forth about purchasing the speaker cables for well over a year. I think it's overpriced but I liked it. I like the sound of copper and this was a very refined sounding speaker cable with a very musical but clean sound. I could definitely build a satisfying system of cabling around it and someday maybe I'll give it a shot if the price is right. Pricing was not compelling here in the USA.

But as a loom, they were cohesive sounding and compelling. If the price is right where you are, or if the performance excels in your system, you might consider them.
RnRmf thanks so much for your honest opinion!
If they wear out pretty fast that's no good news for such expensive cables:oops:
There are many very well built cables for a little less money.
I will still demo them in my system on feb 20th.

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
RnRmf thanks so much for your honest opinion!
If they wear out pretty fast that's no good news for such expensive cables:oops:
There are many very well built cables for a little less money.
I will still demo them in my system on feb 20th.
There probably would be a small chance of damage happening in one's system - I imagine it happened from being in and out of demo systems around the country.
Please report back with how you like them. It's still a speaker cable I might like to have at some point.

Attachments

• IMG_4789.jpeg
    IMG_4789.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys, just purchased an acoustic carpet to put under my system and that does make a big difference to tame brightness.
Tomorrow night i'm doing a big cable shootout between Cardas Clear Reflection, Clear, Clear Beyond, Odeion Sigma and my Gryphon VIPs.
Thieliste's System.jpg

Reactions: RnRmf

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Hi guys, just purchased an acoustic carpet to put under my system and that does make a big difference to tame brightness.
Tomorrow night i'm doing a big cable shootout between Cardas Clear Reflection, Clear, Clear Beyond, Odeion Sigma and my Gryphon VIPs.
Hi,
Is that a special carpet?
What do you have behind your seating position? How far are you from the back wall?
I have placed absorption behind me and found it was beneficial in obtaining a more relaxed sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing