I know this old arm is good but I don’t know why David,Rockitman,Tang,Ron,Mike
Use or will use having top tonearm like Sat,EliteAxiom,Black Beauty,Durand

Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys must be very tall. I can never get a picture in that angle.

Tang :eek:

Tang, He could be standing on a chair to capture that view.

It is a nice image. It's very interesting that the arm board has the cutout for the SME sled rotated at what looks like 90 degrees to how David's arm boards are cut for the 3012R. IOW, the SME slot is perpendicular to the axis of the arm board while it is parallel on David's boards. Just look how these arm boards are turned compared to Tang's which go straight out away from the spindle. On my SME arm board, that slot for the sled is offset from the main axis by about 15-20 degrees.

Perhaps this was addressed earlier in the thread, but what is the purpose of that smaller counter weight on the outrigger arm? Is it to balance the arm because the arm tube is bent and the cartridge off center relative to the axis of the arm tube? I notice that the knife edge bearing is not offset to match the offset angle of the cartridge as it is in the newer V arm. Would that make a difference for the outboard smaller counter weight?

And in general sense, why is the arm tube bent rather than just rotating the headshell at the end of a straight armtube? It seems that many vintage arms often had this "J" or "S" shape while modern arms have an offset angle at the end of a straight armtube. Could someone explain what seems like this evolution in tone arm design?

Perhaps this was addressed earlier in the thread, but what is the purpose of that smaller counter weight on the outrigger arm? Is it to balance the arm because the arm tube is bent and the cartridge off center relative to the axis of the arm tube? I notice that the knife edge bearing is not offset to match the offset angle of the cartridge as it is in the newer V arm. Would that make a difference for the outboard smaller counter weight?

And in general sense, why is the arm tube bent rather than just rotating the headshell at the end of a straight armtube? It seems that many vintage arms often had this "J" or "S" shape while modern arms have an offset angle at the end of a straight armtube. Could someone explain what seems like this evolution in tone arm design?

The outrigger weight is for setting tracking force. It is set to zero until the arm is dynamically balanced using the big counter weights at the end of the arm tube. If you balance it right, when you set the outrigger weight to the desired tracking force, then you will be spot on for VTF and don't even need a scale.

Lovely looking combo. Shame the balance weight is missing on the left 3012R. On ebay it is quite common for them to be offered with just the rider weight and no 77gram balance weight as was standard.
A few years ago I bought a 64 gram balance weight as an extra from SME , this was for the 3010R. With these weights it is possible to balance any cartridge/headshell combination and look pretty good as well.

the additional second weight is only to be used for heavy carts, so many 3012r on the market do not have the second weight, as you do not need the weight for nearly all standard cartridges. Also the heavy weights were offered as optional accessory for complete fitted turntables including the 3012r and a cartridge.
(for example Thorens 521 & SME 3012r & Ortofon MC 10 Cartridge package )

The outrigger weight is for setting tracking force. It is set to zero until the arm is dynamically balanced using the big counter weights at the end of the arm tube. If you balance it right, when you set the outrigger weight to the desired tracking force, then you will be spot on for VTF and don't even need a scale.

Thanks, Christian. Why is that outrigger off to the side if what it does is VTF? Could it not be above the centerline of the arm? I think it can be rotated around the axis of the arm. And, don't the big counterweights balance the arm statically, not dynamically? I can balance my arm either way, statically, or dynamically. Dynamical balance is with the spring applying VTF after the arm has been balanced to zero, or floating, with the counterweight. Static balance is with the spring set to zero and the VTF applied with the counterweight. If I use dynamic with the spring, I don't need a scale either, as it is calibrated and extremely accurate.

So, my question remains, why is the outrigger off to the opposite side of the cartridge? I never see it in any other position. Does it not have something to do with the bearing not being at the same offset angle as the cartridge?

When I first got this arm I was shocked how accurate the counter weight was. It's a real tribute to the engineering skill of the SME team.

the additional second weight is only to be used for heavy carts, so many 3012r on the market do not have the second weight, as you do not need the weight for nearly all standard cartridges. Also the heavy weights were offered as optional accessory for complete fitted turntables including the 3012r and a cartridge.
(for example Thorens 521 & SME 3012r & Ortofon MC 10 Cartridge package )

I think I was not too clear. I have never found the need to use both balance weights together.
The counterweight with the rider is 167 grams. Add the 77 gram balance weight as supplied standard and the total counterweight is 244 grams.

I found it useful to have the balance weight from 3010R which is 64 grams thus giving total of 231 grams. For me when using a Jelco headshell with ZYX 4D I had the better appearance and it balanced well. For very light headshell and cartridge combo's then the single counterweight with rider of 167 grams works but imo does not look so attractive.
Happy listening.

As posted previously:
The purpose of the side weight is to counter the tipping effect of the cartridge weight due to the tonearm J-shape, and thus to ensure that the knife edge is properly seated in the saddle and its weight is evenly balanced across the saddle.
The counterweight including the side weight on its outrigger can be adjusted transversely to achieve correct lateral balance for any cartridge weight within the design range. Once that is done per the instruction in the manual, then the knife edge bearing will be properly mass loaded.
The disadvantage of the vertical bearing not offset the same as the headshell, is that a change in arm height will cause a change in azimuth.

Last edited:
When I first got this arm I was shocked how accurate the counter weight was. It's a real tribute to the engineering skill of the SME team.

I was skeptical of this primitive looking counter weight too. But turned out as you said. The marking is very accurate making it easier to use than Axiom and SAT.

Kind regards,
Tang

As posted previously:
The purpose of the side weight is to counter the tipping effect of the cartridge weight due to the tonearm J-shape, and thus to ensure that the knife edge is properly seated in the saddle and its weight is evenly balanced across the saddle.
The counterweight including the side weight on its outrigger can be adjusted transversely to achieve correct lateral balance for any cartridge weight within the design range. Once that is done per the instruction in the manual, then the knife edge bearing will be properly mass loaded.
The disadvantage of the vertical bearing not offset the same as the headshell, is that a change in arm height will cause a change in azimuth.

Thank you, Miniguy.

I use both counterweights if I can. I try to get them as close to the pivot as possible. Only then will I remove one weight to get dynamic balance if the cart is too light.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing