I know this old arm is good but I don’t know why David,Rockitman,Tang,Ron,Mike
Use or will use having top tonearm like Sat,EliteAxiom,Black Beauty,Durand

Why 3012 is so special?
I never had and I don’t understand
Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:
I should stop reading these threads, as an supposed unused SME 3012-R has come up locally and a reasonable price - so thought I would see and hear what all the fuss is all about and I bought it.

Does an unused SME 3012-R (some components still in plastic wrap) pose any additional setup/required checks before using?

I wonder how successful it will be playing modern music :)

cheers

I should stop reading these threads, as an supposed unused SME 3012-R has come up locally and a reasonable price - so thought I would see and hear what all the fuss is all about and I bought it.

Does an unused SME 3012-R (some components still in plastic wrap) pose any additional setup/required checks before using?

I wonder how successful it will be playing modern music :)

cheers
Just check the grommets and replace them if dry and hard. Congrats, I was looking at that one but didn’t know anyone in Melbourne to pick it up for me.
david

Just check the grommets and replace them if dry and hard. Congrats, I was looking at that one but didn’t know anyone in Melbourne to pick it up for me.
david

I was not looking :) I am in Sydney, so still needs to survive 600 mile trip with Australia post.

thanks David, will do. sure I will have more questions. do you just get grommets online?

I was not looking :) I am in Sydney, so still needs to survive 600 mile trip with Australia post.

thanks David, will do. sure I will have more questions. do you just get grommets online?
Yes, various people including SME selling them.
david

deal fell thru - seems like he sold it while I was typing Yes I would buy. communication issue between us. oh well.

This one was just not meant to be with you XV. If it is destined to be yours, even an elephant can’t pull it away from you. :D

Kindest regards,
Tang

Sorry to hear about that. The one I bought has now arrived (along with extra headshell). Just waiting for my armboard to arrive and a little bit of courage.

Have fun Floyd with the new toy. No doubt we will hear all about it, the good and the not so =-))))

Have fun Floyd with the new toy. No doubt we will hear all about it, the good and the not so =-))))

One day when it is in his system, I hope to hear Ian's new arm with one of his familiar cartridges. I only share my impressions about his system with permission. There is much the forum members have not read about Madfloyd's wonderful system. This new arm will be an interesting addition.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing