Small but mighty? Nagra, Aavik, others?

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
Every 6 months or so I start to ponder moving from the many many cubic feet Naim 500-level system I have (2 racks, 8 black boxes) to something 'downsized'.

Why? To own a system that dominates the room a little less, and to some extent just to 'try something different.'

I'd like to keep our Magico S5MkIIs (which, too, dominate the room a bit) as I like 'em.

Two thoughts are Nagra and Aavik, which obviously are VERY different. A Nagra HD demo with BIG Rockports blew me away at Goodwins a few years ago but the HD really is a bit much.

Will a Nagra Classic Power Amp drive these Magicos?

Fortunately I can demo both brands at home I'm sure.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
I haven't listened to Naim or Aavik so I can't compare but obviously believe Nagra and Rockport work very well together. I briefly had the classic amp in my system waiting for the HD's, and enjoyed it very much. Hearing the HD amps changed my perspective a bit, more power & the effortless sound made it hard to ignore. IME Nagra customer service has been stellar.

Dave

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I had a top-end active Naim system and moved away around 5 years ago. I sold the lot and started again. The main driver was getting tired of the Naim sound, but there was an appeal of a simpler system. I don't regret it for one minute and have enjoyed the journey to where I am today (check signature for current line-up). I can't say the system is any simpler, and to many eyes looks uglier as it lacks the uniformity of many similar black boxes, but boy does it sound so much better!

From my limited experience of the above two brands, Aavik is going to have a similar type of drive to the Naim system. However, many who leave Naim go in a very different direction (e.g. Vitus here in the UK), so you may find Nagra appealing from that perspective. I'd get out there demo'ing and enjoy the journey.

Reactions: rubinken

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
I haven't listened to Naim or Aavik so I can't compare but obviously believe Nagra and Rockport work very well together. I briefly had the classic amp in my system waiting for the HD's, and enjoyed it very much. Hearing the HD amps changed my perspective a bit, more power & the effortless sound made it hard to ignore. IME Nagra customer service has been stellar.

Dave
It's probably a good omen if the Classic Amp drove your Aviors well. But the proof will be in an in-home test. Living 8 miles from the dealer makes that easy!

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
I had a top-end active Naim system and moved away around 5 years ago. I sold the lot and started again. The main driver was getting tired of the Naim sound, but there was an appeal of a simpler system. I don't regret it for one minute and have enjoyed the journey to where I am today (check signature for current line-up). I can't say the system is any simpler, and to many eyes looks uglier as it lacks the uniformity of many similar black boxes, but boy does it sound so much better!

From my limited experience of the above two brands, Aavik is going to have a similar type of drive to the Naim system. However, many who leave Naim go in a very different direction (e.g. Vitus here in the UK), so you may find Nagra appealing from that perspective. I'd get out there demo'ing and enjoy the journey.
The industrial design of the Naim IS lovely. There's just a lot of it :)

I like the Nagra look as well and if I went that direction probably would try to do it 'all Nagra' to keep it smallish and uniform. Otherwise I'll end up with DCS boxes for digital with it probably.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
What's your room size?
I doubt Nagra classic amp has enough current to efficiently drive Magico S5MKII speakers, Magico speakers love current and can go low impedance

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
What's your room size?
I doubt Nagra classic amp has enough current to efficiently drive Magico S5MKII speakers, Magico speakers love current and can go low impedance
It's a 'great room' concept living room / kitchen combo, so overall pretty big (say 17' x 28') w/ 9' ceiling.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
It's a 'great room' concept living room / kitchen combo, so overall pretty big (say 17' x 28') w/ 9' ceiling.
You have great space for your S5MKII.

I would look for other amps instead of the Nagra classic, S5MKII can go below 3 ohms, I’m not sure the Nagra Classic has the current and power needed to seriously drive your S5MKII.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Good point re: Nagra driving the Magicos. Audionet Humboldt would be my suggestion for a one-box amp. If that's too big, a CH I1, which could potentially do the digital side as well.

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
Good point re: Nagra driving the Magicos. Audionet Humboldt would be my suggestion for a one-box amp. If that's too big, a CH I1, which could potentially do the digital side as well.
Not looking for an integrated -- happy to stay with separate pre and power; the Nagra Classic Amp is (just) a power amp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing