Sibilance with Spectral gear

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
Hello Tim,

I don't blame the Amps, i love the sound of Spectral.
But i also now that a Spectral setup is very sensible for matching.
Changing AC cords has a lot influence on the sound.
Yes i have a decated 230 Vac powerline.
And Jack is also right about the settling time.
But my first Avalon (Arcus) has a much darker sound than my current the Ascendant MKII

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
Hi Terry,

Do you mean MIT MA is not the perfect match?
No no line conditioner ( i never heard a good one without loosing dynamic).
Over here they recommend the Spectral/avalon/Mit combi and that is also the sound i felt for.
Ic rca 1mtr , ls 8ft

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hi Terry,

Do you mean MIT MA is not the perfect match?
No no line conditioner ( i never heard a good one without loosing dynamic).
Over here they recommend the Spectral/avalon/Mit combi and that is also the sound i felt for.
Ic rca 1mtr , ls 8ft

For what it's worth, Terry said specifically that the MIT *magnum* MA are NOT recommended with Spectral equipment, not all MA versions. I have made the exact same comment a couple of times over here with respect to Spectral gear. I also happen to disagree with Terry that they are very good cables overall.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
Terry -

What cables do you recommend? This is a question that I have asked elsewhere (well, not to you directly!) in the forum so glad the subject came up. I know some MIT cables work better than others with Spectral gear but which are your preference (outside of the Spectral/MIT offerings) ? Great to see you here, the experience/knowledge is really welcome and not always easy to find.

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
Hello rsw,

That's exactly the question i wanted to ask:)
I sure know that the upgrade from Shotgun S1 to Magnum MA was huge improvement!
The S1 was dull sounding compared to the MA.
Maybe the MA has excessive highs but it is more lively.

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
No reaction??

For what it's worth, Terry said specifically that the MIT *magnum* MA are NOT recommended with Spectral equipment, not all MA versions. I have made the exact same comment a couple of times over here with respect to Spectral gear. I also happen to disagree with Terry that they are very good cables overall.

Hello ack,

Why is the Magnum MA Spectral no good match.
You and Terry mentioned that but that's all.

What is in your opinion the way to go!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Hello ack,

Why is the Magnum MA Spectral no good match.
You and Terry mentioned that but that's all.

What is in your opinion the way to go!

Why? Because they are colored, as you have indirectly reported. Get either the MIT/Spectral 770II cables, the Oracle MA/MA-X, or the newer Matrix 90 (and if you want, higher)

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
You should have a dedicated AC line. Do You? Are you using MIT power cords? What is the length of the IC between the preamp & the power amp? What length are the speaker cables? Regarding the MIT Magnum cables, I'm sorry to tell you that (a) they are VERY GOOD cables, (B) they are NOT recommended with Spectral equipment. One other question; Are you using any kind of power line conditioner. If so, what type?

Terry Menacker, Overture Audio

Hello Terry,

Ack gave me some advice about MIT.
Thx ack for that but i'm not happy right now.

Terry, what do you recommend in this situation?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing