Shunyata Triton user question.. thanks for your input

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
A Shunyata Triton question if you will:
To start I need to clarify what equipment I have in use:
1. Jeff Rowland Aeris DAC, Chorus Preamp and 625 amp (825 coming)
2. Esoteric P05 transport
3. Revel Salon 2 speakers
4. All Audience Au24 E powercords (not the newest SE. w/ the Cardas parts)
5. IC, all Audience AU24 SE XLR balanced
6. Cardas Clear speaker cables, dual shotgun bi-wire ( 2x pairs)
The room is large (24x40 app.), hardwood floors resting on screeds over slab and tall asymmetrical (ceilings 12-23 feet). Lively but not overly so.
I am using a Triton power conditioner w/ app. 100 hours use. The 20 amp PC for the Triton is the Audience AU24 E to a dedicated 20 fuse. Only line-level equipment running in the Triton. Rowland amp is direct to wall via a dedicated 20 amp line.
At this point in my Triton use the Triton works well in the most expected ways (as the reviewers have noted) but I have a few small concerns: It sounds a bit dense & constricted in loud(er) musical passages w/ a slight nasal tone & lingering mid-bass. The Triton sounds dry(ish) as if it's thinning out subtle ambient & reflective acoustic clues (recording dependent.) I attribute this to the newness of the unit and wonder if the Audience AU24 is not a great match for the Triton. What powercords might work best w/ the Triton (it will never be used for an amp, I am 95% sure.) Any 20 map PC ideas would be appreciated! Thanks
(Audience AdeptResponse 6Tss version vs the Triton?)

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Personally, with my Triton I have never experienced what you are noticing. I also don't believe the Triton is burned in long enough. I was told to have all the source equipment going into the Triton turned on but not necessary to run signal.

I also have a Typhon plugged into my Triton so I cannot comment as to whether this might be a contributing factor. There are several here however who run only a Triton for their front end gear and I have never heard them verbalize what you are hearing

I am not familiar with your PC's. The Shunyata website stresses the need to use a high quality PC. I use an Anaconda from the wall to the Triton and an Anaconda umbilical for each of my 3 Typhons

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I ran with a Triton only for a while and experienced none of the problems you are seeing. I have only used the Triton with a Shunyata Anaconda Zitron though. The Triton replaced an Audience aR6-TSS conditioner with the upgraded AU24 power cord. The Triton was noticeably better immediately. I would try a Shunyata power cord with the Triton. I think you'll hear immediate improvement. Also, Steve is right, you need at least 300 hours, preferably 500 on the Triton before you'll hear its maximum capabilities.

Steve Williams

I ran with a Triton only for a while and experienced none of the problems you are seeing. I have only used the Triton with a Shunyata Anaconda Zitron though. The Triton replaced an Audience aR6-TSS conditioner with the upgraded AU24 power cord. The Triton was noticeably better immediately. I would try a Shunyata power cord with the Triton. I think you'll hear immediate improvement. Also, Steve is right, you need at least 300 hours, preferably 500 on the Triton before you'll hear its maximum capabilities.

I agree. I left all my front end components turned on for several weeks

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Actually what the OP is describing is how I think the Rowland gear sounds.....

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Actually what the OP is describing is how I think the Rowland gear sounds.....

I can't speak for current Rowland gear but I had the Model 9 Ti HC amps and Coherence preamp for many years and performance was certainly not the way he describes below. What he is describing is a Triton that isn't fully broken in along with a power cord that isn't best suited for it, IMO.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi, I have to agree with the other posters...I think you should try a Shunyata power cord to your Triton. It's a pretty serious power delivery device and given the money invested only makes sense to pair it with one of their cords...could still be breakin also for you...finally...their cords also to the equipment when you can...

Also, what brand of duplex? And what do you have your Triton sitting on? Shelf? Floor? Some sort of aftermarket feet? When you say 20 amp fuse..older home or is it really a breaker and a newer home?

Finally, 3 of us commenting here (maybe 4 not sure) all have our Tritons in very different systems...but with the same (very) happy outcome...no way you could take mine from my system...

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
One more vote for a Shunyata cable as the source for the Triton, preferably a Zitron Anaconda. Shunyata cables, and the Triton, are made to minimize DTCD. There is no telling how much DTCD another cable is adding, and since higher DTCD degrades the sound it makes sense to do everything possible to minimize it.

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
Another quick question: My Triton is sitting face down on the base of a built in bookcase. The structure is very stout 3" hardwood ,covered with a protective felt pad. No vibrations etc. The dealer insures me it's just fine to sit the Triton on it's face as do others YET I have not asked Shunyata what they think about this arrangement. (all do to space limitations & access.) ?????

Steve Williams

Another quick question: My Triton is sitting face down on the base of a built in bookcase. The structure is very stout 3" hardwood ,covered with a protective felt pad. No vibrations etc. The dealer insures me it's just fine to sit the Triton on it's face as do others YET I have not asked Shunyata what they think about this arrangement. (all do to space limitations & access.) ?????

There is another member here who does the same thing without any sonic issues

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

I've never set up my Triton as you describe but I will tell you, I did some experimenting with Typhon placement a couple of weeks ago, the Typhons I use in parallel with my amps. Directly on carpet with Shunyata spikes, with spikes and Shunyata discs, with Black Diamond Racing isolation and finally with Stillpoints Ultra 5s. I then placed the Typhons on Zoethecus amp stands and did another round of placing the different isolation supports under the Typhons on top of the amp stands. The sound changed noticeably with every variation I tried, I was amazed at the amount of change. The best of the options by far was with Ultra 5s under the Typhon and on top of the Zoethecus amp stands.

I think the Triton has to be affected in some way by placing it on it's face. I'm sure it works just fine that way but if at all possible, I would try placing it as it was intended at the very least. I'm sure providing some isolation would help even more.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
My Triton sits on Mapleshade Micropoint brass footers on a 2" maple shelf in a Samson V.3 rack. If I were to sit it on its face I would get a maple plinth was brass carpet piercing feet, and, again, sit the Triton on the Micropoint brass footers face down.

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
I had a helpful and very informative conversation w/ Richard at Shunyata (many thanks!). Among other things he says sitting the Triton on its faceplate assuming its on a scratch-proof thin pad (felt) and on a very solid surface, is just fine and will not degrade or alter the sound in the least. Many users choose this option.
Sounds like I need to wait several weeks for the Triton to settle in. Thanks all.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Just to clarify this issue about what to put a Hydra on: For best performance, do NOT recommend that a Hydra be placed on the floor (carpeted or hardwood) because it will affect its performance in a negative way. It will sound a bit dull and will not achieve the levels of resolution that it is capable of. The Hydra acts exactly like a high performance amplifier in regards to vibration control.

A Hydra should sit on something whether it is oriented on its feet or on its faceplate. Preferred would be that the Hydra sit on an audiophile grade shelf or on a dedicated amp stand. Next in preference would be that it sit on a solid platform like a slab of granite or a butcher block or on a piece of hardwood. Then it is helpful if the platform is supported by some kind of cone or spike. None of these items needs to be expensive.

The Hydra can also be used without any of this if you use the optional SSF (stainless steel feet). Make sure that you use the stainless steel pads even if the Hydra is place on a carpet. Do not spike the Hydra into the floor as you would with a speaker. But even with the SSFs, it sounds better when put on a shelf or platform.

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
Thanks Shunyata: Got it! Triton resting on built in bookcase lower structure (hardwood frame) w/ 4" hardwood base(walnut & maple layers) suspended w/ spikes . Felt pad to protect face plate.
After 2.5 weeks the unit has truly opened up presenting a very impressive sound field, deep acoustic space, true musical timbers and greater clarity. More to come I suspect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing