Shunyata Triton/ Typhon

Duke of Earl

Jun 26, 2014
My amp is the Atma-Sphere S-30 that pulls 400 watts. My preamp is the Audio Horizons TP 2.3 that pulls 65 watts. Would there be a problem plugging them into the Triton with the Typhon also plugged into it?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
One of the major magazine is reviewing the TRITON/TYPHON system with TYPHONs connected to mono-block amps as we have described. Can't say who it is doing the review yet but watch for it before the end of the year.

Caelin there are a lot of us here who already have been doing this with audible sonic improvements. We have all pretty much written our reviews here

Steve Williams

If you couldn't plug your preamp into a Triton there would be little reason to buy it!

I have my entire front end equipment including my dual mono dual PS preamp plugged into the Triton along with the Typhon

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
My amp is the Atma-Sphere S-30 that pulls 400 watts. My preamp is the Audio Horizons TP 2.3 that pulls 65 watts. Would there be a problem plugging them into the Triton with the Typhon also plugged into it?

The TRITON can handle the full current capacity of a 20A dedicated circuit. If the circuit breaker in the wall can handle it - the TRITON can handle. It uses an electromagnetic breaker that can operate at its continuous current limit for extended periods of time because it does not heat up as a fuse or common thermal breaker does.

The TYPHON does not pull any current. It's noise reduction technology is unique and patented. There is no measurable inductance, resistance or capacitance so the TYPHON is not a reactive device that might adversely affect a component's operation as is the case with conventional power conditioners.

If you are interested in the operation of the TRITON/TYPHON technology, please read the patent. It is not particularly difficult to read and understand.

https://www.google.com/patents/US86...a=X&ei=TSEGVNzNHIXoggTn7IKYAw&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAg

Last edited:

Duke of Earl

Jun 26, 2014
You can plug your amps into a Triton. The Triton is not current limiting so I don't see where it would be a bad thing. I had my Pass Xs300s plugged into a Triton/Typhon to try it out and it sounded fine. Not many amps going to pull more current than the Xs300s. I seem to recall Caelin saying it wasn't the best solution for amps but I could be wrong.

The Pass draws 1000 watts. If it sounded OK I imagine I will have no problem.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I used to have one dedicated line and a Triton. At that time I had the CD player, file player, DAC, pre-amp, and two Pass Labs X600.5 amps plugged into the Triton, and it sounded great. However, if I played music at a crazy volume then the breaker would trip. I added a second 20 amp line along with a Cyclops for both amps, and it sounded great, but now that breaker trips at a crazy volume level. So, I added another dedicated 20 amp line, and another Cyclops, and now it really sounds great. Plus the breaker no longer trips. Unfortunately, now I toasted the tweeter and mid-range on my right Magico S5. :)

Last edited:

Steve Williams

I used to have one dedicated line and a Triton. At that time I had the CD player, file player, DAC, pre-amp, and two Pass Labs X600.5 amps plugged into the Triton, and it sounded great. However, if I played music at a crazy volume then the breaker would trip. I added a second 20 amp line along with a Cyclops, and it sounded great, but now that breaker trips at a crazy volume level. So, I added another dedicated 20 amp line, and another Cyclops, and now it really sounds great. Plus the breaker no longer trips. Unfortunately, now I toasted the tweeter and mid-range on my Magico S5. :)

No resistors on the S5 to prevent that from happening.

You must play really loud my friend

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Caelin there are a lot of us here who already have been doing this with audible sonic improvements. We have all pretty much written our reviews here

I struggle with the typhon vs exotic ground box approach...aka entreq, tripoint....perhaps both are required ?
Perhaps they address different and/or similar line noise issues that affect audio playback ? Perhaps the ground boxes address chassis ground vs signal ground issues and the typhon does not ? I don't have a good enough handle w/o trying either or both approaches at the same time. Buying the products to find out is a bit disconcerting.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
You must play really loud my friend

Not any more. I learned my lesson. :rolleyes:

To be honest, I was amazed at how well they sounded before they broke. I was just getting ready to turn the volume down when it occurred. It turns out the Pass XP-20 pre-amp is calibrated between 0-83 for volume. I was at the max, but I thought there was still headroom with the pre. I would never have thought someone would use a 0-83 scale for volume control.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I struggle with the typhon vs exotic ground box approach...aka entreq, tripoint....perhaps both are required ?
Perhaps they address different and/or similar line noise issues that affect audio playback ? Perhaps the ground boxes address chassis ground vs signal ground issues and the typhon does not ? I don't have a good enough handle w/o trying either or both approaches at the same time. Buying the products to find out is a bit disconcerting.

Neither is an inexpensive proposition. A Typhon with umbilical for each Xs150 will cost you around $15k. I also have 4 Stillpoints Ultra 5s screwed into each Typhon and a Zoethecus amp stand under each as well. Yes, insanity!

Tripoint SE with the grounding cables you'll need will run you at least $15k, probably more. Entreq has no presence in the US so I wouldn't even consider them.

Duke of Earl

Jun 26, 2014
Thanks for letting me know. Since I don't play music beyond about 65bd I imagine I'll be fine. My hearing is very sensitive since I have always protected my ears. I can still hear 16,000Hz.

Duke of Earl

Jun 26, 2014
I use Bybee products to good effect with the Triton. I notice they lower the noise floor even further and improve many other parameters.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Entreq is distributed in the US by Stillpoints.

John

Neither is an inexpensive proposition. A Typhon with umbilical for each Xs150 will cost you around $15k. I also have 4 Stillpoints Ultra 5s screwed into each Typhon and a Zoethecus amp stand under each as well. Yes, insanity!

Tripoint SE with the grounding cables you'll need will run you at least $15k, probably more. Entreq has no presence in the US so I wouldn't even consider them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing