Shunyata Omega QC, Shunyata Denali 6000 V2 component power isolation

Vermonter

Jan 6, 2021
I am a recent meminer and did not realize there is a separate area to post manufacturer specific questions, so this is a double post (it is in the power products category as well).

I have a Denali 6000 (V2) that provides power to a D’Agostino preamp, and a dCS Vivaldi stack (DAC, clock, upsampler). I also have a Denali 2000T that powers a pair of D’Agostino Momentum 300 amps. The 2 power conditioners are connected to a dedicated 20 amp line by Stealth Dream V10 (wall) cables. Details on the current power cord loom follow:

Wall to Shunyata 6000V2. Stealth Dream V10 (wall)
Shunyata 6000V2 to preamp. Stealth Dream V18 (pre)
Shunyata 6000V2 to DAC. Stealth Dream V12 (digital)
Shunyata 6000V2 to Clock. Stealth Dream V18 (digital)
Shunyata 6000V2 to Upsampler. Stealth Dream V10 (preamp)
Shunyata 6000V2 to Macmini. Shunyata Venom 14 (digital)

Wall to Shunyata 2000T. Stealth Dream V10 (wall)
Shunyata 2000T to amps. Stealth Dream V10 (power) (x2)

Wall to JL Fathom F113 subs (x2). Stealth Cloude 99 (full)

There are 2 open outlets on the 6000 V2 (I’d have to run an extension cord for the Macmini, but that’s not a problem). I’m thinking about upgrading the cord from the wall to the 6000 V2 to a Shunyata Omega XC, and using the 6000 (V2) for the amps, preamp, and DCS digital components (ditch the 2000T). That would fill all the outlets on the 6000 (V2).

To lessen the load on the 6000 V2, I could use a freed up outlet on the 20 amp line for direct connection of the preamp to the wall (D’Agostino recommends none of their products be plugged into power conditioners). Longer range, I’ll probably have another dedicated 20 amp line run to the stereo for the mono amps as well.

I can only swing one Omega XC cable now, and if I don’t need the 2000T (and the power cord that runs it from the wall) it’d reduce the clutter in my rack, and lessen the component/cable total.

Would I be losing anything by running the amps/preamp/digital components from the 6000 (V2) with an Omega XC feeding it, or should I leave the amps on the 2000T?

My intuition is it’d be an overall improvement. From what I gather, the 6000 V2 is non-current limiting (won’t choke off the mono amps) and replacing the Stealth V10 (wall) cord that feeds it with an Omega XC would be a sizeable improvement.

Attachments

• 32403169-498D-44FF-8D55-78E05392B0A8.jpeg
    32403169-498D-44FF-8D55-78E05392B0A8.jpeg
    698.4 KB · Views: 105
  • D45E0FF2-0EBA-48EC-9E74-70746C594C88.jpeg
    D45E0FF2-0EBA-48EC-9E74-70746C594C88.jpeg
    667.9 KB · Views: 104

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I can't speak for you, but my amp sounded better to my old Denali 6000V2 than it did to the wall.

Vermonter

Jan 6, 2021
Francisco,

Thanks, I’m pretty sure I’ll find that too, especially after I put an Omega XC on the 6000 V2.

Cheers,

Mitch

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Let me tell you about my experience. I first had a Denali 6000v2 with a Sigma XC. Then I went to an Everest + Sigma XC and finally to an Everest + Omega XC. All the changes were positive, but not equally positive. If you have to choose between Denali 6000V2 + Omega XC and Everest + Sigma XC, my experience is that you choose the latter, hands down. Make numbers and talk to your dealer to get the 6000V2 for you.

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
Try swapping the 20 amp breaker for a 30 amp breaker. I did it and it definitely improved the sound even though I wasn't drawing close to 30 amps. It's am inexpensive tweak.

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
nonesup,
Are you saying that you preferred the Omega XC or the Sigma XC power cord?

ozzy

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I definitely prefer the Omega. But if I have to choose between Denali + Omega XC and Everest + Sigma XC, I prefer the latter combo and the price is similar. That is, there is a greater increase in SQ, going from Denali to Everest than from Sigma to Omega. Now Everest + Omega ...........

Vermonter

Jan 6, 2021
I bought an Omega XC that will connect the 6000 V2 to an existing dedicated 20 amp circuit. My plan is to remove the 2000T from the system, and use the 6000 V2 for the dCS Vivaldi stack and M300 mono amps. The Momentum HD preamp will be plugged directly into the dedicated 20 amp line where the 2000T used to be (as D’Agostino recommends for all their components).

Next step is to have either one or two more dedicated 20 amp lines run to the stereo for the amps (take them off the 6000 V2 and run directly from the wall). I think my panel can handle two more dedicated circuits, and placement of two plugs will help with power cable management and match/shorten the connection length for each amp.

The dedicated lines (existing and new) will be fitted with Shunyata outlets, and I also bought a Sigma V2 NR for one of the dCS stack components, to replace a Stealth Dream V10 (pre) that was a mismatch -it is a preamp cable and I need a digital cable.

I heard a rumor about a new product in the Shunyata line, a Typhon T2 Power Distributor. It is advertised at $4,999 but no info or photos are available. I was told it will match with the 6000 V2, as the legacy Typhon and Triton were matched, and provide separate outlets for high current amplifiers. All this was kinda sketchy, so might not be fully accurate. Has anyone heard of this possible new piece of equipment? My thinking on the dedicated 20 amp circuits for the amps might change based on what this component might offer...

Vermonter

Jan 6, 2021
I bought an Omega XC that will connect the 6000 V2 to an existing dedicated 20 amp circuit. My plan is to remove the 2000T from the system, and use the 6000 V2 for the dCS Vivaldi stack and M300 mono amps. The Momentum HD preamp will be plugged directly into the dedicated 20 amp line where the 2000T used to be (as D’Agostino recommends for all their components).

Next step is to have either one or two more dedicated 20 amp lines run to the stereo for the amps (take them off the 6000 V2 and run directly from the wall). I think my panel can handle two more dedicated circuits, and placement of two plugs will help with power cable management and match/shorten the connection length for each amp.

The dedicated lines (existing and new) will be fitted with Shunyata outlets, and I also bought a Sigma V2 NR for one of the dCS stack components, to replace a Stealth Dream V10 (pre) that was a mismatch -it is a preamp cable and I need a digital cable.

I heard a rumor about a new product in the Shunyata line, a Typhon T2 Power Distributor. It is advertised at $4,999 but no info or photos are available. I was told it will match with the 6000 V2, as the legacy Typhon and Triton were matched, and provide separate outlets for high current amplifiers. All this was kinda sketchy, so might not be fully accurate. Has anyone heard of this possible new piece of equipment? My thinking on the dedicated 20 amp circuits for the amps might change based on what this component might offer...

Here is the arsenal I amassed for the current plan to install a pair of dedicated 20 amp circuits for the amps. A pair of SR-z1 outlets and Venom Defenders for the new dedicated lines, and Sigma v2 powercords for the amp to wall connection. Also got an Omega XC for the Denali.

I am mulling over replacing the Denali with an Everest, and thinking of running the entire system thru the Everest. I would not need the dedicated lines at that point, so that cost savings enters in to the economics, along with what I could get for resale of the Denali. Electrical work still a week and a half off so no rush to decide now.

So, which would be better?

1) Get dedicated lines installed for each amp, and keep the Denali for the front end

or

2) Replace the Denali with an Everest and run the whole system thru it

Attachments

• A3EA59F4-730C-4E1A-A0D7-4819DF616727.jpeg
    A3EA59F4-730C-4E1A-A0D7-4819DF616727.jpeg
    593.5 KB · Views: 37

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I run my entire system through the Denali and I would hesitantly suggest to try the Everest for everything

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I personally prefer having my monos directly plugged into dedicated lines. Then I have everything else plugged into a Shunyata PC on another dedicated line. So, three dedicated lines total. I also have a whole house surge protector installed on the panel.

If you can swing it, go with an Everest.

Though it won't be as good (but still great) you can temporarily sacrifice the Omegas for Sigma v2 or even Alpha v2s. You can always upgrade to Omegas at a later date and use the leftover Sigma v2s / Alpha v2s for your components.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Vermonter

Jan 6, 2021
I personally prefer having my monos directly plugged into dedicated lines. Then I have everything else plugged into a Shunyata PC on another dedicated line. So, three dedicated lines total. I also have a whole house surge protector installed on the panel.

If you can swing it, go with an Everest.

Though it won't be as good (but still great) you can temporarily sacrifice the Omegas for Sigma v2 or even Alpha v2s. You can always upgrade to Omegas at a later date and use the leftover Sigma v2s / Alpha v2s for your components.
My advice from Shunyata matches this, great minds think alike...

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Both of my amps are on separate 20 amp circuit. Each amp has its own 20 amp line, and only the amp is on the line. While the amps sounded fine plugged directly into the line, they both dramatically improved when I added a Denali 2000 on each line.

ArnoFenn

Oct 28, 2020
Both of my amps are on separate 20 amp circuit. Each amp has its own 20 amp line, and only the amp is on the line. While the amps sounded fine plugged directly into the line, they both dramatically improved when I added a Denali 2000 on each line.
In what way was the improvement (and was the difference audible in a blind-test way by others as well for example?)?

Vermonter

Jan 6, 2021
A big white box arrived at my house yesterday, a new Everest. A good day indeed.

After shifting some power cords around to make the reach to it, it’s hooked up. I eventually will switch the positions of the preamp and DAC on the top shelf to better manage power cords, but I’m at end state, component wise.

A pair of Omega AES cables and a custom sized maple platform for under the Everest will be here next week, so I think I just have one more major configuration change ahead of me and then I’ll declare victory.

Lots written here and elsewhere about the Everest. It is all true, and it’s worth every penny. I wish I’d had one from the day it was released.

Slainte,

Mitch

Attachments

• C936E855-2971-408B-99B3-CCDC59B39F2C.jpeg
    C936E855-2971-408B-99B3-CCDC59B39F2C.jpeg
    465.7 KB · Views: 81
  • CC4A5541-A3C6-4309-ABF0-B48D56B00AF0.jpeg
    CC4A5541-A3C6-4309-ABF0-B48D56B00AF0.jpeg
    657.1 KB · Views: 79
  • D7ECDB66-3555-4EEF-92E4-D7C4485C0DE5.jpeg
    D7ECDB66-3555-4EEF-92E4-D7C4485C0DE5.jpeg
    725.5 KB · Views: 80

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Would you say the Everest is superior to the 6000v2 by a wide margin?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
The issue I have with the Everest is I only have two components to plug into it. They are the preamp, and the file player. Shunyata needs to make a four port model.

Vermonter

Jan 6, 2021
Yes I would. I’ve watched the below video of Danny Carey drumming on the Tool song Pneuma alot; it really conveys his playing style and strength. When I play the song from the studio album, all that energy hits me right in the chest.

My last several upgrades kinda overlapped, so tough to ascribe the improvements to any single change, but they all added up to a percussive authority to the bass, and a wide and precise soundstage. I also find I can cheat up the volume a bit more without saying “that’s enuff”...there is no strain in the sound at all; it all just layers and encircles me.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Well, although the term wide margin will depend on each one, my answer after having both is Yes.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
A big white box arrived at my house yesterday, a new Everest. A good day indeed.

After shifting some power cords around to make the reach to it, it’s hooked up. I eventually will switch the positions of the preamp and DAC on the top shelf to better manage power cords, but I’m at end state, component wise.

A pair of Omega AES cables and a custom sized maple platform for under the Everest will be here next week, so I think I just have one more major configuration change ahead of me and then I’ll declare victory.

Lots written here and elsewhere about the Everest. It is all true, and it’s worth every penny. I wish I’d had one from the day it was released.

Slainte,

Mitch
How you liking your Omega AES/EBU cables? I upgraded the dCS Vivaldi Upsampler to DAC from Sigma v2's and these are surprisingly much better. I like the black look by the way, especially considering dCS's habit of using black background for their displays.

I'm still searching for an appropriate sized mountain climber to place atop my Everest...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing