Shunyata DENALI

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Grant, I have two Cyclops v2, one for each amp. Can you give me an idea as to what benefit I might find by going with a Denali? Also, is there a single outlet version for users such as myself?

Hi Bud,

The Denali 2000T is a dramatic step up from the Cyclops v1 and 2 in terms of performance because its essentially an in-line Typhon. Denali 2000T uses larger internal NIC's, which significantly impact dynamics, along with a quieter background. As usual, Caelin has found ways to ideally sync the performance of the Denali to serve the demands amplifiers put on any external device. Given how new they are, I'd recommend seeking an audition if you are interested. They should begin shipping sometime this week. If you do try them, please let me know how that goes. The Denali 2000T for US are duplex outlet devices.

Regards,

Grant

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Hi Bud,

The Denali 2000T is a dramatic step up from the Cyclops v1 and 2 in terms of performance because its essentially an in-line Typhon. Denali 2000T uses larger internal NIC's, which significantly impact dynamics, along with a quieter background. As usual, Caelin has found ways to ideally sync the performance of the Denali to serve the demands amplifiers put on any external device. Given how new they are, I'd recommend seeking an audition if you are interested. They should begin shipping sometime this week. If you do try them, please let me know how that goes. The Denali 2000T for US are duplex outlet devices.

Regards,

Grant

Grant,

I really like the vertical arrangement of the Denalis. Very innovative.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
In case folks here have not seen it, there is a nice two page ad in the new downloadable Guide to Affordable Audio on the Absolute Sound site.

ellevoid

Jun 6, 2014
Hi, I got some question.
Currently I use Shunyata Hydra HC power cord with my old power distributor for my small system (music server-dac-amp-headphones).
If I want to change it to Denali, should I change the power cord as well to Alpha HC or maybe Sigma analog?
Or Hydra HC is good enough for the small system.

Thanks.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
@Grant

Hello,

I'm curious to know which power cord would be recommended from a Denali D6000T to the wall if the components connected to the Denali were a DAC and a Pre-Amp with a slight twist being that the Pre-Amp uses a SMPS power supply? Would this categorize both Front End components as being "Digital" thus resulting in the need to use one of the power cords categorized as a "Digital" cord? I noticed it was mentioned that using the Alpha & Sigma cords (to the wall) would be redundant when using the Denali due to its already included filtering within the chassis.

When looking at the Shunyata site there appears to only be one power cord that doesn’t have filtering and that is the Venom model. So I wonder, since we are talking about the connection from a Power Distribution device to the wall does this usually mean a "HC" power cord is best?

Lastly, how does ones choice of cord used from the Power Dist device to the wall alter/effect the sound of the devices plugged into the (PD) device? In my example above, we have a DAC and a Pre-Amp which based on the website each have their own "ideal" cord type to be used which I get but the confusion starts when we talk about the main cord feeding the PD device itself which supports several different types of front end components (maybe all digital today and maybe a mix of both Digital & Analog tomorrow). Certainly no one wants to re-purchase another power cord because they have plugged in a different type of device the Denali so I guess the meat of this question comes down to, is there one cord that someone can buy today which will work without compromise now and in the future should they choose to fully utilize each type of Duplex available within the Denali with a mix of Amps, Digital & Analog components?

Thanks for any clarity you can provide

Illinimax

Aug 16, 2015
Purchased a Denali today, the 6000T model. My first Shunyata product, I'm blown away by what I heard tonight.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi cjf,

My apologies for the delay in reply. I have been traveling every week for the past month, visiting both dealers and hospitals with our new products, so my time to visit forums has been minimal. I am off the road now for a few weeks, so I'll drop in more frequently. Also, always feel free to write us directly with follow up or questions. We are pretty timely with e-mail.

The Denali products should use either an Alpha HC or a Sigma Analog, unless somebody wants to go all the way to the Sigma HC. That, to me, only makes sense in an extreme circumstance such as massive SS or OTL amps into the 2000T, or a complete reference system on the 6000T or 6000S model, such as DCS Stack + D'agostino amps being one example.

Using a Sigma Digital versus Analog shouldn't matter into Denali 6000T or 6000S because of the massive amount of filtering within the unit itself. Still, power cord gauge, wire quality and type still matter and should be considered. My most common recommendation is the Alpha HC. Massive gauge, top quality wire and not crazy-expensive. There could be a further benefit going to the Sigma Analog, but it should be based on how loaded the 6000 models are. If you are on a single circuit and using 5-6 of the Denali outlets including amps, then the power cord to the wall takes on greater importance. If there are 3 or fewer components, I'd recommend spending less. Its pretty straightforward based on the system you are running. I hesitate to recommend the Venom HC for Denali models. They are very high performance products, so it would be a little like putting budget tires on a Porsche. Still a great car, but it won't do all the tricks its clearly capable of. Start at Alpha HC and work your way up based on the system and component, or current load you are working with.

I hope this is of some help. Again, my apologies for the delayed response.

Regards,

Grant

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Hi cjf,

My apologies for the delay in reply. I have been traveling every week for the past month, visiting both dealers and hospitals with our new products, so my time to visit forums has been minimal. I am off the road now for a few weeks, so I'll drop in more frequently. Also, always feel free to write us directly with follow up or questions. We are pretty timely with e-mail.

The Denali products should use either an Alpha HC or a Sigma Analog, unless somebody wants to go all the way to the Sigma HC. That, to me, only makes sense in an extreme circumstance such as massive SS or OTL amps into the 2000T, or a complete reference system on the 6000T or 6000S model, such as DCS Stack + D'agostino amps being one example.

Using a Sigma Digital versus Analog shouldn't matter into Denali 6000T or 6000S because of the massive amount of filtering within the unit itself. Still, power cord gauge, wire quality and type still matter and should be considered. My most common recommendation is the Alpha HC. Massive gauge, top quality wire and not crazy-expensive. There could be a further benefit going to the Sigma Analog, but it should be based on how loaded the 6000 models are. If you are on a single circuit and using 5-6 of the Denali outlets including amps, then the power cord to the wall takes on greater importance. If there are 3 or fewer components, I'd recommend spending less. Its pretty straightforward based on the system you are running. I hesitate to recommend the Venom HC for Denali models. They are very high performance products, so it would be a little like putting budget tires on a Porsche. Still a great car, but it won't do all the tricks its clearly capable of. Start at Alpha HC and work your way up based on the system and component, or current load you are working with.

I hope this is of some help. Again, my apologies for the delayed response.

Regards,

Grant

Thanks for the info

Illinimax

Aug 16, 2015
Great info Grant. Went with the Sigma HC from the wall into the Denali. Have found some small improvements replacing PS Audio AC12 cables with Alpha HC and Analog cables in various spots. Going to do more experimenting in the weeks ahead.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Feel free to e-mail If I can be of any help.

Best regards,

Grant

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Another question about the Denali if you don't mind,

On the 6000T model there is one duplex which is said to have similar technology as used in the Typhoon for amplifiers. If someone only has two components to plug into the Denali that are not amplifiers (DAC & PreAmp) then should there be greater benefit from using the Amp outlets over those outlets that don't have the Typhoon'ish technology on them?

As a second part of the question above and on the other hand, would there be more benefit gained by using the other non Amp outlets instead because they are separated and have component level isolation so that the two components don't effect the other in terms of noise?

Thanks

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi,

I can offer my experience in prototyping the units. If you are only working with two components and do not have a pure digitally based system, save the money and consider the 2000T. Yes, there will be better measured and "perhaps, perceived noise isolation" with the 6000T or 6000S noise isolated outlets, but in my opinion, I would not over-spend to get that benefit based on how good the 2000T is. A DAC and pre-amp are analog-signal output devices. If I'm doing the math and considering everything, I would not spend the extra $2k for outlets you may never need to use. In terms of pure audio, I'm fine with anyone trying the 2000T for a simple system and judging us that way.

As an aside, the 6000T filtered outlets can support amps, as they did with a Luxman stereo amp at the Newport Show in an amazing Joe Cali run system. I've run Constellation amps through the filtered outlets in our factory and VAC amps at my home. Still, for those amps I slightly preferred the high-current outlet performance of the 2000T or HC outlets on the 6000T or 6000S. For pure digital; meaning digital-signal output devices, you would like to isolate them from other components. The 6000 models are peerless and yes, I have compared them to competition.

My goal is getting best performance for the least amount of outlay. If its just 2 components, I would consider the 2000T first, which is essentially a refined version of Typhon, but in-series rather than in-parallel and wow, that makes a nice difference. It won't take but two bars of a song to hear the difference. Not subtle. We've had great feedback thus far so I don't hesitate to recommend it for an application such as yours.

Our new measurement and descriptive video's are now on our you-tube channel about the new technologies in Denali. Feel free to watch them and make fun of two old guys sitting uncomfortably in front of a camera. :) Not for lack of trying, though. Best foot forward.

Best regards,

Grant

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Thanks for the info Grant.

I have a 6000T on order already along with an Alpha HC 20A power cable to feed it. The 6000T device certainly has more outlets than I need at the moment but maybe someday the other outlets will come in handy. Until then, I will give all the outlets a try with my two components and see which combo sounds best.

The only odd ball in my two component front end setup is that my PreAmp uses an in chassis SMPS design (Classe CP800) for its power supply. The other component which is a DAC uses a more typical PS (maybe linear, its a Meitner MA1). Not sure if a component that uses an SMPS places it in the "Digital" realm or not despite it being a PreAmp handling Analog signals?

Anyway, the main motivation for me going with the 6000T was its "Tower" form factor and the fact that I don’t have any space left on my Audio Rack. I've long thought about and hoped someone would offer a Tower conditioner at some point so I was glad to see Shunyata thinking outside the box and doing just that on this model.

If my Amps were not sitting on the other side of the room I would try plugging them into the Denali as well but my crusty old Torus Power RM20 will have to remain in service at that end for now. :p

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
I think you've made a good choice with an eye to the future. Certainly, the 6000 units convey great flexibility in set up.

I have visited many reviewers, including Marc Mickelson, Robert Harley and Michael Fremer and they had no rack space, whether it was related to the DCS Stack or other multiple-component digital set ups. In a few cases, the Triton v2 and Typhon were upside down, behind the rack sitting on their face plates. I conveyed that to Caelin because obviously upside-down power conditioners are not ideal for performance or even basic set up.

A close friend of ours, John Stronczer of Bel Canto, gave us feedback about reducing the amount of floor space our products take up and that also got Caelin thinking even though he was on that track already. Keep in mind, Bel Canto does an amazing job with great-performance and less space required. Caelin and I visited John's house and we saw the need for better use of space and aesthetic. John has a stunning set up. It's no wonder he makes amazing products. Caelin has done an amazing job with Denali in terms of space, price and performance. You will not be disappointed.

Best regards,

Grant

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I conveyed that to Caelin because obviously upside-down power conditioners are not ideal for performance or even basic set up.

Why would orientation affect the Triton/Typhon performance?

Illinimax

Aug 16, 2015
Going to order another Denali ... I'm out of outlets and want to go with dual-mono amps, perhaps some subs down the road. Folks, I have been into audio gear going on 43 yrs and have never had an accessory improve my system like the Denali. Really a stunning product.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Welcome to the Shunyata fan boy club. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing