Should I get Magnepans if I only have 1-2 feet available distance from the back wall ?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I would think that the triangulated stands mentioned would help with that as it's the frame holding the panel that's twisting, right?
No, the distortion is because the panels themselves have very limited excursion, so it takes a LOT of area (i.e. big panels) to generate high levels of bass. One of the things that drove me to build a sub with my first pair (MG-I's ca. 1979) was both their lack of deep bass and very high (10's of percent) distortion for bass below 100 Hz or so.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Thanks Don. What absorber or diffuser panel do you recommend ?
None in particular. I do not care for the inexpensive foam variety, though, as I have found them to not absorb as well as the better (e.g. Corning OC-703-based) brands and have had too many complaints over the years from the foam drying out and flaking everywhere. I bought kits but suggest talking with Ethan at RealTraps -- his website https://realtraps.com/ also has DIY instructions if you are handy and want to save some money. I have used Kinetics Noise Control commercial versions but they are harder to find and cost more. GIK Acoustics seems well-regarded but I have no experience with them.

HTH - Don

DaveF

Jan 24, 2022
I'm loving the Maggie 1.7. Anywhere I put them, they sound great to me.
That is contrary to many posts online, but I'm very happy with them.

It was odd that when I removed them from the box, they made intermittent crackling noises.
The noises stopped after about 3 days. Kinda sounded like static electricity , or maybe the panel innards were settling after being in the box.

Now, I have to find the next component to upgrade.
It's a sickness. Upgrade 1 thing & you want more.

I have an Aragon 8800x3 power amp, a Krell SoundStage preamp.
I bought both used the past 2 years. They are both > 10 years old.
Marantz cd player with a Schitt DAC & a Sony 4K player.
I never wanted to spend big on digital media players.
My speaker wire is on the cheap side & I'm using the power cords the components came with.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I vote to upgrade the amplifier to used Aesthetix Atlas Monos or Atlas Stereo. (We love spending other people's money here!)

• Haha
Reactions: paolo

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
David, first off, Welcome ! Longtime Maggie and Logan fan here dating back to the eighties so I'm all in with you and their 'sound' ! With that being said Don has given you a sage piece of advice for sure and you stated your current Logans have lost some of their luster ? At 26 years of age I suspect the panels are at their end !

You said your room is 'small' , how small, dimensions ? FWIW and IMO, speakers that are designed to work in a dipole environment sound their absolute best when one is not forced to make compromises. When I was running Maggies (3.6's) and Logans (last pair Spires) they were between 4-5' out and 44" from side walls. I've listened to set ups where di-poles were less than 3' out, I was never impressed......
I think the OP is well advised to be cautious! I bought Martin Logan Expression 13As after reading rave reviews and listening at a showroom. BIG MISTAKE. Sadly they just didn't like being placed with too much space behind them - 12 ft and 15 ft.

The OP says his dealer has these Maggies in stock, so he should visit to listen, but far more importantly, must arrange a home trial before he commits. I made this mistake and had to re-sell the MLs at a £5K loss - just because I didn't think a home trial was necessary.

Interestingly (and I offer no explanation) the used QUAD 2905s I bought as a "test run" for the MLs (to test electrostatics in my room) sounded great in the same location. Why the MLs, even with Anthem doing its best to adjust for room anomalies, sounded inferior to my 20 year old Avantgarde Uno horns I can only attribute to their distance from the rear wall. In my case far too much distance, but quite possibly too little may result in similar disappointment!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I vote to upgrade the amplifier to used Aesthetix Atlas Monos or Atlas Stereo. (We love spending other people's money here!)
Love theAtlas.

steve_o

Sep 3, 2010
I've owned Magnepan 1.7i. The endgame amplifier upgrade is the Sanders Magtech. If you stick with Magnepan, those will drive 3.7i just fine, too.

Hans7

Sep 11, 2022
I have my 3.7i's 2-2.5' from the front wall with the tweeters facing directly at seat.... LOVE the sound. Experimented bringing them out another foot and noticed no appreciable degradation or increase of sound quality. I also just attenuated the mid-range, and haven't made up my mind about it yet. My room is 14 x 24.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have my 3.7i's 2-2.5' from the front wall with the tweeters facing directly at seat.... LOVE the sound. Experimented bringing them out another foot and noticed no appreciable degradation or increase of sound quality. I also just attenuated the mid-range, and haven't made up my mind about it yet. My room is 14 x 24.

Hello Hans,

Just out of curiosity, did you ever try bringing bringing them five, six, or seven feet out from the front wall?

Hans7

Sep 11, 2022
No I have not .... would look silly in the room , and the wife.......... otherwise I would try it.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing