Shostakovich #11/BSO Nelsons on DG

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
This DG CD won a Grammy for best engineered album, and the recording is shockingly good. So good in fact that the bass drum on Track 2, around minute 13 is as powerful and dry as at Symphony Hall, with no "boom" or overhang; just not as life-size in my system as the real thing, and at times lacking that leading edge (Hmm, woofers a little slow? I am leaning more towards the DAC right now). Cymbal crashes are outstanding; timbre (especially timpani), scale and presentation to die for. Some $20.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just to remember it is also available as a 96/24 download. It is one of the reasons I must go on following the threads on servers and computer audio ...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I saw a fantastic chamber arrangement performance of his 15th symphony this week. Arrangement is by Viktor Derevianko. It's a trio with three percussionists

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
It is on Tidal MQA as well. Will have a go at it today.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Holy sh*t folks, this is the real deal. Couldn't wait, so I queued this one up, and yeah, it's sublime. As ack said, the recording is exemplary, and not only the percussion.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Great! It really captures the Symphony Hall/BSO sound in all its glory, including the acoustics of the space, albeit at a smaller scale. But in terms of overall presentation, it's ALL there in spades. Fascinating. And the performance, out of this world

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Just to remember it is also available as a 96/24 download. It is one of the reasons I must go on following the threads on servers and computer audio ...
Also as 96/24 stream on Quobuz :cool:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Holy sh*t folks, this is the real deal. Couldn't wait, so I queued this one up, and yeah, it's sublime. As ack said, the recording is exemplary, and not only the percussion.
Just downloaded and am also liking... alive, vast and engaging from the very first notes. Sounding absolutely great. One thing I do love about streaming is that instantaneous ability to join in and share in a new discovery. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: ack and asiufy

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Also as 96/24 stream on Quobuz :cool:

Must be a glitch with Qobuz here in the US, or maybe the Roon integration, as it didn't show up here.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
You guys have started me on a Shosta-fest! Had forgotten how good Nelson’s Shostakovich 10 was... next thing i know I was listening to the 9 and now firmly heading towards 5 and 8. Bleak and intense but marvellous!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks Ack. Unfortunately my system is vinyl only. I look forward to hearing this at your place, Ian's, or Al's. Did you record this on tape from the radio during the live Saturday night broadcast?

It doesn't look like I recorded it...

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here's a Grammy runner-up which also sounds fantastic. Keith Johnson also captures the dryness of the bass drum, finally, with no reverb or overhang. The superiority of HDCD is obvious.

As an added bonus, the cast in the booklet has an honorable mention to the Office Cat, Mr. Widget -- Awww. He must have been chewing on the microphone cables, while wiggling his tail at the rhythm.

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
HDCD superior??

Actually I think HDCD always sounds muted and dynamically limited....even in the Levinson days when the dac went into HDCD decode mode

The Nelsons disc is real good...thank you for the review

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
HDCD has always been superior in here, in every aspect

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Keith played this Shostakovich for me last night. It definitely was dynamic and lively and a system buster!

But, alas, I did not care for it musically.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Keith played this Shostakovich for me last night. It definitely was dynamic and lively and a system buster!

i can relate to your musical compass on 'angry' modern classical music. 24 years ago when i got going on a serious dive into hifi, i knew nothing about jazz or classical. maybe had a like of some of the most listenable classical pieces. and viewed most 20th Century classical compositions as not enjoyable or musical to my ear. the term i used was angry. but over time, as i listened to more and more classical, especially vinyl classical, i, little by little, acquired a taste for more complex and introverted ( or whatever the term is) classical compositions.

it is a personal decision as to whether you desire to work at it little by little. my path was from Romance era major compositions, to lots of mild chamber music, to more involved string quartets, to then stuff like Mahler and Stravinsky, and then it seemed like it all opened up to me. that was maybe 5 years ago. now i listen to 60% to 70% classical and mostly 20th century compositions. and it's rare i can't get my mind into it's flow.

if you stick with vinyl only then it's certainly harder to navigate, as there is so much modern classical on digital that is so easy to access.

i'm listening to this Nelsons Shostakovich 24/96 MQA on Tidal right now (and also downloading the 24/96 file) and really like it; but your comments remind me of my mid-90s viewpoint on music like this. i feel it would be sad if i never had developed a taste for this music as it has great depth of feeling and really satisfies. i love how it sounds on my system (and think it would soar on yours too). some of my most 'zen' musical journeys are with new discoveries of modern compositions.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Several of my friends also do not care about Shostakovich music, but carefully selecting the part of the recording I play to them makes them great fans. The Adagio (3rd movement) of the 11th is one of my choices - it grips people to their seats!

I entered the 20th century classical music with Bartok and Stravinsky compositions - only some ten years later I become addicted to Shostakovich.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing