Shelf or individual component....?

Dec 24, 2022
Hey Guys,

So I have a beautiful Timbernation shelf with 3" square legs and 2" thick shelves all solid tiger Maple.

Has anyone ever tested how good is it for vibration control?

I had someone send me IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze feet to try under a component, and while it certainly made an improvement, it wasn't the massive difference I thought it would be.

I REALLY like this rack, but I think that's a LOT of money to spend on a rack even though I know it will be fantastic for vibration control: https://onahighernote.com/shop/racks/artesania-prestige-rack-3-level-tandem/

They have this line which is half the price, and wondering if anyone has any experience with it: https://onahighernote.com/blog/2021...the-artesania-audio-3-level-av-rack-in-black/

Finally, what do you think - should I get feet at the component level and keep the Timbernation or would one of these other racks make a noticeable improvement?

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I expect many will strongly disagree with me, but I think a sturdy rack with individual isolation feet/pads on each component is a good way to go, and isn't an over-engineered solution. No disrespect intended to folks with very cool/expensive purpose-built racks.

I have EVP isolation "pads" under some components, SRA platforms under the amps, and a couple of carbon BDR "shelves" and a Daiza platform mixed in with the EVAs and IsoAcoustics "pucks."

I want a sturdy rack for gear, which I will isolate specifically, individually, based on weight and purpose.

I recognize this ignores the visual design and high cool-factor of some of the rack products out there. I like them; I just think one can recreate their design intent in other ways, if desired.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
...I expect many will strongly disagree with me, but I think a sturdy rack with individual isolation feet/pads on each component is a good way to go, and isn't an over-engineered solution. No disrespect intended to folks with very cool/expensive purpose-built racks.

I have EVP isolation "pads" under some components, SRA platforms under the amps, and a couple of carbon BDR "shelves" and a Daiza platform mixed in with the EVAs and IsoAcoustics "pucks."

I want a sturdy rack for gear, which I will isolate specifically, individually, based on weight and purpose.

I recognize this ignores the visual design and high cool-factor of some of the rack products out there. I like them; I just think one can recreate their design intent in other ways, if desired.
I agree that this is the better approach. Based on my experience it is both more cost effective and allows you to better tailor isolation to individual components. I use Townshend, Wellfloat, Sound Mechanics, and DIY isolation platforms, and Dalby, ASI Top Line, Yamamoto, and Marigo draining/tuning feet with a sturdy, high value Salamander rack that is decoupled from the floor.

Last edited:

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
I agree that this is the better approach. Based on my experience it is both more cost effective and allows you to better tailor isolation to individual components. I use Townshend, Wellfloat, Sound Mechanics, and DIY isolation platforms, and Dalby, ASI Top Line, Yamamoto, and Marigo draining/tuning feet with a sturdy, high value Salamander rack that is decoupled from the floor.
It’s a good topic.
I have use for years two Quadraspire svt with different combinations of Stillpoints, Finite Elemente, Ansuz, HRS couplers plus isolating platforms from Project, HRS and vertez aq.
Im generally happy with the Quadraspire - looks and performance seem ok, and I can hear the benefits of the different footers.
But when you look at the engineering of some alternatives, I can well believe that they are better, and getting rid of all the different couplers is an advantage.
So, I’m also tempted by a spendy new engineered rack, but they are expensive…… and rather industrial looking……
If I was the OP, I’d keep his Timbernation - beautiful! And play with some couplers - different electronics react to different coupler technology….

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Are you looking for greatest return on the $$$ or the highest performance, cost no object achievable?

unboxed

Apr 24, 2017
My approach is 1 7/8" thick solid walnut butcher block racks (components) and the same material spiked for platforms (amps and conditioning). Then I use individual treatments of various types. Heavy stuff on spiked platforms just gets Symposium Svelte Plus platforms. Lighter equipment gets Svelte Plus (just Svelte if space is critical) platforms plus individual footers of different brands. I currently use Symposium Roller Block JR. HDSEs, IsoAcoustic OREAs, and Finite Elemente. Definitely IsoAcoustic GAIA for speakers.

Other than the pronounced affect of GAIAs on speakers the results of isolation on components is harder to determine. Each responds differently. That is why I use the component specific approach using industry leading products. I may not have the best combination for each but at some point it is time to stop obsessing and just sit down and enjoy the music.

Dec 24, 2022
Thanks guys. Here in Texas we have tile floors on top of a slab.

Wife likes the look of the Timberbation more than the other racks, and I also
Are you looking for greatest return on the $$$ or the highest performance, cost no object achievable?

I'm looking to strike a balance.

The wife loves the look of the Timbernation we currently have. It is a very nice and very robust stand. I would only consider a unit that allows me 3x2 - meaning 3 levels high and 2 bays wide for a total of 6 components.

I was looking at the two racks in my original post after researching many stands. I like the price of the AV rack I linked to but like the look of the other one I linked to but wonder if the noticeable sonic improvement is worth double the price.

Thanks guys.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Thanks guys. Here in Texas we have tile floors on top of a slab.

Wife likes the look of the Timberbation more than the other racks, and I also

I'm looking to strike a balance.

The wife loves the look of the Timbernation we currently have. It is a very nice and very robust stand. I would only consider a unit that allows me 3x2 - meaning 3 levels high and 2 bays wide for a total of 6 components.

I was looking at the two racks in my original post after researching many stands. I like the price of the AV rack I linked to but like the look of the other one I linked to but wonder if the noticeable sonic improvement is worth double the price.

Thanks guys.
You might check out beaudioful's RÄCK (https://beaudioful.com/rck-en) and LÜTT (https://beaudioful.com/ltt-en) for another option in the purpose built, beautifully crafted, not-ridiculous-money category.

Dec 24, 2022
My approach is 1 7/8" thick solid walnut butcher block racks (components) and the same material spiked for platforms (amps and conditioning). Then I use individual treatments of various types. Heavy stuff on spiked platforms just gets Symposium Svelte Plus platforms. Lighter equipment gets Svelte Plus (just Svelte if space is critical) platforms plus individual footers of different brands. I currently use Symposium Roller Block JR. HDSEs, IsoAcoustic OREAs, and Finite Elemente. Definitely IsoAcoustic GAIA for speakers.

Other than the pronounced affect of GAIAs on speakers the results of isolation on components is harder to determine. Each responds differently. That is why I use the component specific approach using industry leading products. I may not have the best combination for each but at some point it is time to stop obsessing and just sit down and enjoy the music.

I agree each responds differently.

The first one I linked to is half the price of the second one. Of course it would cheaper still to buy the right footers at the complaint level and keep my Timber Nation. Although I love the look and idea of the more expensive rack I linked too, I think I would get a better increase in sound putting that money into better components, cables and power conditioning first than on a rack.

unboxed

Apr 24, 2017
Some isolation racks use up a lot of space for the isolation suspension. I have found some isolation racks very difficult to place equipment on. That is one reason I ended up with solid wood racks that only give up shelf thickness. Another reason is I got unfinished racks and finished them to match my furniture. In one system the rack and platforms match my speakers too.

Dec 24, 2022
Some isolation racks use up a lot of space for the isolation suspension. I have found some isolation racks very difficult to place equipment on. That is one reason I ended up with solid wood racks that only give up shelf thickness. Another reason is I got unfinished racks and finished them to match my furniture. In one system the rack and platforms match my speakers too.

Good point. And the wife does like the way the current rack looks with the two tone stains tiger striped maple with 2.5" shelves and 3.5" square legs - all solid wood.

As I have lots of switches and stuff coming and going, it's great to have the extra space.

The beginning of this video show a glimpse of my current rack. The gear has changed a bit as I constantly have stuff coming and going for reviews.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I am by no means a rack expert. I have done some research as I am looking myself. I have talked to a few manufacturer. My sense is that the platform and the footers get you 85% to 90% of the way there. As long as there is nothing egregious about the base foundation. Your Timbernation is a very stout and firm foundation. It is going to have a ring at some resonant frequency the wood vibrates at. You could ask around the different manufacturer of shelves and ask how they might interact. My gut says they will all tell your their platform will be amazing. Especially if you use their footers. I am personally gravitating towards Symposium. I too have a wood frame rack. I would probably purchase an entire rack, but my current setup is 58 inch wide. No one makes a rack that wide unless I go custom.

Be thoughtful the platforms and footers you use. I am shocked how different each platform and footer sounds in my system. My tube preamps like a different type of footer than my digital equipment. I can hear my preamp respond differently to 2 layers of plywood vs 1. Or 2 layers with a few sheets of tar paper inbetween. Or a sheet of plywood and Corian. All sound different. Some make is dull, others make it bright. I have 1 sheet of plywood with a hard footer. Think Stillpoint footer.

Like Unboxed, I will probably start with a Svelte for my turn table and see what happens. Then go from there.

Last edited:

viola

VIP/Donor
Apr 21, 2021
Connecticut
I am by no means a rack expert. I have done some research as I am looking myself. I have talked to a few manufacturer. My sense is that the platform and the footers get you 85% to 90% of the way there. As long as there is nothing egregious about the base foundation. Your Timbernation is a very stout and firm foundation. It is going to have a ring at some resonant frequency the wood vibrates at. You could ask around the different manufacturer of shelves and ask how they might interact. My gut says they will all tell your their platform will be amazing. Especially if you use their footers. I am personally gravitating towards Symposium. I too have a wood frame rack. I would probably purchase an entire rack, but my current setup is 58 inch wide. No one makes a rack that wide unless I go custom.

Be thoughtful the platforms and footers you use. I am shocked how different each platform and footer sounds in my system. My tube preamps like a different type of footer than my digital equipment. I can hear my preamp respond differently to 2 layers of plywood vs 1. Or 2 layers with a few sheets of tar paper inbetween. Or a sheet of plywood and Corian. All sound different. Some make is dull, others make it bright. I have 1 sheet of plywood with a hard footer. Think Stillpoint footer.

Like Unboxed, I will probably start with a Svelte for my turn table and see what happens. Then go from there.
One rack that might suit your needs is the Fern & Roby rack. They make both a 48" wide and a 60" wide rack. They also make custom racks. I stopped by their factory in Richmond, VA, last summer as I was very interested in one of their 48" racks. I thought these were extremely well made, and with a very thoughtful design from an vibration-control perspective. I was ready to pull the trigger, but alas, my wife did not like their appearance, so that was that. Ultimately, I ended up with an Artesania Prestige 3-tier rack which I was able to purchase at a more reasonable price on the second-hand market. It's a truly outstanding rack, and my wife likes how it looks, so all is good. I decided to locate my mono blocks right next to my speakers so I ended up not needing all of the space in the 48" wide rack. In any event, you might want to check out the Fern & Roby racks or give Chris Hildebrand at F&R a call (804.233.5030). https://www.fernandroby.com/products/details/equipment-rack

Dec 24, 2022
One rack that might suit your needs is the Fern & Roby rack. They make both a 48" wide and a 60" wide rack. They also make custom racks. I stopped by their factory in Richmond, VA, last summer as I was very interested in one of their 48" racks. I thought these were extremely well made, and with a very thoughtful design from an vibration-control perspective. I was ready to pull the trigger, but alas, my wife did not like their appearance, so that was that. Ultimately, I ended up with an Artesania Prestige 3-tier rack which I was able to purchase at a more reasonable price on the second-hand market. It's a truly outstanding rack, and my wife likes how it looks, so all is good. I decided to locate my mono blocks right next to my speakers so I ended up not needing all of the space in the 48" wide rack. In any event, you might want to check out the Fern & Roby racks or give Chris Hildebrand at F&R a call (804.233.5030). https://www.fernandroby.com/products/details/equipment-rack

Thank you. I had previously checked them out as I agree with you - great looking stuff that would fit my needs perfectly. But if I remember it would have been considerably more expensive than the higher grade Artesania rack so I stopped considering it.

emoonie

VIP/Donor
Aug 16, 2021
Monterey CA
Cool Thread. I am of the opinion and practice that the rack addresses the issue of providing a stable level surface that further adds isolation (via mass and pneumatics for me) from extraneous vibrations transmitted through the floor (up and down) and even the earth motion (side to side). I think for me it's the footers responsibility to control resonance issues, not necessarily eliminate them, caused electrically by the component itself, mechanically by airborn vibration (music) also mechanically via the cabling. At the same time tuning their chassis. They are both a part of the same system but I think if tackled separately the results can be more articulate.

Briefly footer history:
Mod Squad Tip Toes
Sorbothane (didn't care for the deadening effect in my rig as feet)
Crystal pyramids point down (excellent clarity)
Cut natural crystals (quite an improvement over pyramids)
Shun Mook Diamond Resonators (all three sizes, Giants are amazing)
Never thought I'd let the Shun Mooks go but have been superseded:

Dalby Audio D7-LVSE90
Dalby Audio D7-LVSE90 Titanium 2 sets

The last two sets of Giant Diamond Resonators were replaced with Arya footers I learned about reading Mike Lavigne's Wadax thread. Javier Guadalahara Recommended them. YMMV

The wood strip under the Wadax is only for elevating the unit to line up the streaming pieces behind it. IMG_0886.JPG IMG_0889.JPG

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
I have 3 Artesania 2 levels Prestige rack. Couldn’t be more satisfied.

Reactions: emoonie

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing