SFP Rolling? Anyone?

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
1700677081324.png

this is off the spec sheet for the aforementioned modules. my guess is you can use an OM1/OM2/OM3 duplex lc-to-lc multimode cable, but someone please confirm this.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
this is off the spec sheet for the aforementioned modules. my guess is you can use an OM1/OM2/OM3 duplex lc-to-lc multimode cable, but someone please confirm this.
His SFP uses an ”Uncooled 850nm VCSEL laser”. OM1 and OM2 are optimized for LED. OM3 and above are optimized for lasers. OM4 is optimized for VSCEL laser transmission, so that’s where I’d start, but OM3 should be fine too for shorter lengths.

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
His SFP uses an ”Uncooled 850nm VCSEL laser”. OM1 and OM2 are optimized for LED. OM3 and above are optimized for lasers. OM4 is optimized for VSCEL laser transmission, so that’s where I’d start, but OM3 should be fine too for shorter lengths.

That makes sense, I was going to suggest OM4 off FS.com when I found a similar module but then got confused after looking at the spec sheet.

Reactions: kennyb123

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
  • Haha
Reactions: harsheel_dbs

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
So today I received and installed the highly recommend “kit” as promoted by Adrian at AfterDark, claiming that this specific FinIsar SFP transceiver with this specific fiber cable delivered the best sound. Like art, music/sound is in the ears of the beholder. So respect to any who’ve found something else he prefers. I’m not real keen on the technical but trust my ears, and based on first impression, this combination is IT for me. Music became immediately “meatier” yet more transparent at the same time. The clarity with which these two parts works in conjunction with my Sonore Optical Module and EtherREGEN is just stunning. It seems trite to invoke the word “organic,” but it’s a word I’ll use nevertheless.

I totally get that some people will insist that multimode modules sound better and I respect that. I also respect that some might have found “nirvana” in another brand of cable, another transceiver - be it single or multimode. Here I just wanted to share my experience and owe a debt of gratitude to Adrian at AfterDark who did the heavy lifting. I only regret I did not purchase from him but was in a hurry and at this time didn’t want to wait for the long trip overseas with customs and such.

I am attaching a few pics that document the model numbers of each part. And thanks to the member who provided the resource for the fiber cable I’d had trouble locating here in the U.S. Sorry but have lost track….

Attachments

• IMG_0788.jpeg
    IMG_0788.jpeg
    648.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0789.jpeg
    IMG_0789.jpeg
    695.3 KB · Views: 45

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
So today I received and installed the highly recommend “kit” as promoted by Adrian at AfterDark, claiming that this specific FinIsar SFP transceiver with this specific fiber cable delivered the best sound. Like art, music/sound is in the ears of the beholder. So respect to any who’ve found something else he prefers. I’m not real keen on the technical but trust my ears, and based on first impression, this combination is IT for me. Music became immediately “meatier” yet more transparent at the same time. The clarity with which these two parts works in conjunction with my Sonore Optical Module and EtherREGEN is just stunning. It seems trite to invoke the word “organic,” but it’s a word I’ll use nevertheless.

I totally get that some people will insist that multimode modules sound better and I respect that. I also respect that some might have found “nirvana” in another brand of cable, another transceiver - be it single or multimode. Here I just wanted to share my experience and owe a debt of gratitude to Adrian at AfterDark who did the heavy lifting. I only regret I did not purchase from him but was in a hurry and at this time didn’t want to wait for the long trip overseas with customs and such.

I am attaching a few pics that document the model numbers of each part. And thanks to the member who provided the resource for the fiber cable I’d had trouble locating here in the U.S. Sorry but have lost track….
the list of modules and cables to try is getting longer....might have to give these a shot down the road as well. Thank you for your insight!

Reactions: KrellFan1

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Last edited:

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
so curiosity got the better of me, as usual...

I have spent the last week or so listening to the Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL with an OM4 cable from my FMC to Switch. I am pleased with the sound; initial impression is that it is right in between the Cisco AOC and the Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL modules on the Juicy to Detailed spectrum.

I have not revisited the other two combinations yet, as there have been a few more updates to my system such as a new power cable and firmware update for my DAC. Once the dust settles I will try all combinations once again and see what works best. At this rate I will probably try the combination shared by @KrellFan1.

Reactions: wil

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ

I have spent the last week or so listening to the Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL with an OM4 cable from my FMC to Switch. I am pleased with the sound; initial impression is that it is right in between the Cisco AOC and the Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL modules on the Juicy to Detailed spectrum.

I have not revisited the other two combinations yet, as there have been a few more updates to my system such as a new power cable and firmware update for my DAC. Once the dust settles I will try all combinations once again and see what works best. At this rate I will probably try the combination shared by @KrellFan1.
I’ve just exchanged a few emails with Alex who owns Uptone Audio (makers of the revered EtherREGEN) and he reminded me it was HE who discovered this Finisar SFP a few years back. His Hong Kong distributor, AfterDark picked up on this FinIsar SFP FTLX1475D3BTL from Alex. I found it to be a stunning upgrade. Along these lines, though I see you just bought a new PC, I’m gonna go out on a limb here and endorse what for me has been the most game changing cable ever installed in my system - the Cerious Tech Lumniscate PC. Great for everything but ESPECIALLY in the realm of digital audio. I have one for my server, player and Makua preamplifter. Link here. https://cerioustech.com/products/power-cables/power-cables-lumniscate/

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
I’ve just exchanged a few emails with Alex who owns Uptone Audio (makers of the revered EtherREGEN) and he reminded me it was HE who discovered this Finisar SFP a few years back. His Hong Kong distributor, AfterDark picked up on this FinIsar SFP FTLX1475D3BTL from Alex. I found it to be a stunning upgrade. Along these lines, though I see you just bought a new PC, I’m gonna go out on a limb here and endorse what for me has been the most game changing cable ever installed in my system - the Cerious Tech Lumniscate PC. Great for everything but ESPECIALLY in the realm of digital audio. I have one for my server, player and Makua preamplifter. Link here. https://cerioustech.com/products/power-cables/power-cables-lumniscate/
Good to know! I am not about to go down the power cable merry-go-round as I just finished installing the last one! However, did you decide to use the Commscope cable for the SFP modules or a custom AfterDark fiber patch cable?

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Good to know! I am not about to go down the power cable merry-go-round as I just finished installing the last one! However, did you decide to use the Commscope cable for the SFP modules or a custom AfterDark fiber patch cable?
Yep; I purchased the exact same model as promoted in kit form by AfterDark. Wanted to play it safe. Pricing comparable but couldn’t wait for the shipping from across the ocean And customs. Pricing comparable. Link for cable supplier here. I bought the SFP from Mouser - always reliable. https://www.alldataresource.com/search.asp?keyword=FFWLCLC42JXF010&search=

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
I wonder if the CommScope cable sound different to ones made with Corning fiber...anyone compare fiber patch cables?

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I wonder if the CommScope cable sound different to ones made with Corning fiber...anyone compare fiber patch cables?
Back in the old days when some far thinking digital designers were using ST glass :D, I spent quite a bit of time listening to various ST glass fibers, including Corning at the time. They indeed sounded different to varying degrees. At the time I attributed it to differences in reflections at the mating point between a given cable and the transceivers in the transport and DAC. The Corning was good, but there was an orange sheathed cable (I can’t remember what it was) that I liked better.

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
I’ve just exchanged a few emails with Alex who owns Uptone Audio (makers of the revered EtherREGEN) and he reminded me it was HE who discovered this Finisar SFP a few years back. His Hong Kong distributor, AfterDark picked up on this FinIsar SFP FTLX1475D3BTL from Alex.
Hi Bob:
What I said--in response to to your excitement about those Finisars and the impression you had that AfterDark discovered them--was that I and some friends/clients/posters on several forums had been playing with and talking up quality Finisar transceivers for years, and that as with several other items/techniques (Mini-Circuits low-pass filter for sine-wave clocks being another example), AfterDark is being opportunistic in their promotion. One can order FTLX1475 modules and good single-mode fiber here in the USA for a lot less.
[I am sure I used fewer words than the above in my e-mail--since I think I might have been in my 5th reply to you today... ;)]

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
One can order FTLX1475 modules and good single-mode fiber here in the USA for a lot less.
Might there be a recommendation as to where?

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Bob:
What I said--in response to to your excitement about those Finisars and the impression you had that AfterDark discovered them--was that I and some friends/clients/posters on several forums had been playing with and talking up quality Finisar transceivers for years, and that as with several other items/techniques (Mini-Circuits low-pass filter for sine-wave clocks being another example), AfterDark is being opportunistic in their promotion. One can order FTLX1475 modules and good single-mode fiber here in the USA for a lot less.
[I am sure I used fewer words than the above in my e-mail--since I think I might have been in my 5th reply to you today... ;)]
For sure, Alex! I was able to find the exact same part from Mouser for just under $100 US. Simply a remarkable upgrade, and great find, pioneer that you are. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetai...mdVCmqshw1g==&countryCode=US&currencyCode=USD

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ

Actually, in chatting with @Superdad , incorporating the Cisco SFP mentioned in this thread would NOT be wise as Cisco is not single mode as is the FinIsar. It is multimode. so not compatible.

Reactions: kennyb123

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
Actually, in chatting with @Superdad , incorporating the Cisco SFP mentioned in this thread would NOT be wise as Cisco is not single mode as is the FinIsar. It is multimode. so not compatible.
with which components are you referring in terms of compatibility?

there seems to be different recommendations within our industry regarding single mode v multi mode so I just use whichever one sounds best with my equipment.

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
with which components are you referring in terms of compatibility?

there seems to be different recommendations within our industry regarding single mode v multi mode so I just use whichever one sounds best with my equipment.
The Cisco SFP mentioned in the beginning of this thread is a multi mode transceiver and the SFP transceiver I referenced is single mode. These days the general consensus among most audiophile/manufacturers is that single mode modules sound better. I know that in the early days the Sonore partners, Adrian and Jesus, preferred multi mode and included multi mode SFP transceivers in their Signature Rendu series by default. Today they have joined the school of many high-end manufactures, who believe that single mode sounds better.

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
The Cisco SFP mentioned in the beginning of this thread is a multi mode transceiver and the SFP transceiver I referenced is single mode. These days the general consensus among most audiophile/manufacturers is that single mode modules sound better. I know that in the early days the Sonore partners, Adrian and Jesus, preferred multi mode and included multi mode SFP transceivers in their Signature Rendu series by default. Today they have joined the school of many high-end manufactures, who believe that single mode sounds better.
well, good to know as I was recommended multi mode by sonore a few months ago.

Regardless, I’m not going to make any blanket statements that one type sounds better than the other and will just try each module for what it is regardless of type.

Reactions: KrellFan1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing