SET amp owners thread

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
The tilt in a reproduced squarewave indicates a low frequency rolloff. At one point there is considerable square wave tilt at 10Hz; the way to interpret the waveform is that the amp was very nearly at its cutoff frequency. The closer you get to the cutoff frequency, the greater the tilt.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anyone have or know anyone who has or had EMIA Permalloy 50/300B?
It heads my short list….faith based.
Brencho had it on the west coast. You can PM him, he is not a regular poster

Audiolimits

Industry Expert
Dec 31, 2017
Laughlin,Nv
www.audiolimits.com
I'm using the Destination Audio GM 70 integrated amplifier and sometimes throw in my Kondo Ongaku. speakers are the Destination Audio Nika Horns.

Attachments

• GM70 system.jpg
    GM70 system.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Ongaku.jpg
    Ongaku.jpg
    594.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Nika Horn.jpg
    Nika Horn.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 33

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'm using the Destination Audio GM 70 integrated amplifier and sometimes throw in my Kondo Ongaku. speakers are the Destination Audio Nika Horns.

hi what preamp are you using, thrax?

Audiolimits

Industry Expert
Dec 31, 2017
Laughlin,Nv
www.audiolimits.com
hi what preamp are you using, thrax?
Hello, with the Spartacus we were using the Thrax Audio Libra 300b preamp but we sold that recently. The GM70 from Destination Audio and Ongaku are both integrated amps with built in preamps. But we may try at some point to run the Destination Audio preamp into them. See how it does!
it is a really good preamp.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello, with the Spartacus we were using the Thrax Audio Libra 300b preamp but we sold that recently. The GM70 from Destination Audio and OnGaku are both integrated amps with built in preamps. But we may try at some point to run the Destination Audio preamp into them. See how it does!
it is a really good preamp.
Can you describe the difference in sound character you get from the Destination amp vs. the Kondo amp? THX! BTW, when you say Spartacus, you mean the previous version that was single ended (wasn't it?) or the new all 300B push pull model?

Audiolimits

Industry Expert
Dec 31, 2017
Laughlin,Nv
www.audiolimits.com
Can you describe the difference in sound character you get from the Destination amp vs. the Kondo amp? THX! BTW, when you say Spartacus, you mean the previous version that was single ended (wasn't it?) or the new all 300B push pull model?
Hello, the difference in sound between them is quite large.
The GM70 sounds much more real than the Ongaku. It also has more attack and speed. And the bass is significantly better. The best way to describe its sound is it is very lifelike. The vocals this amp puts out are unreal. It’s powerful,textured with pin point imaging. Same with instruments. When a guitar player is playing a guitar it sounds like it’s right in the room with you and you can tell when he is using a tube amp. Brass is also amazing and sounds like real brass. The piano is full bodied with attack on the notes. The Ongaku is much more laid back, it’s very holographic,slow and romantic. it sounds beautiful. But It appears to put a little added extra reverb into the mix. It does create it’s own space and kinda puts you in a bubble of audiophile like sound. But it doesn’t sound nearly as realistic as the GM 70. it does have a very nice soothing touch and no listener fatigue with great midrange and high’s. The bass is its weak point. It is nice and rounded but by comparison doesn’t have nearly the slam and speed or attack. Another beautiful thing about the GM 70 is the tuning is endless. The bias settings really change the sound a lot. And you can tube roll very easily and boy do tubes make a big difference in the amp. And then of course you can adjust bias again with each different tube combo. I can make this amp sound almost identical to Ongaku with tube combinations and bias adjustment. It’s really cool. Honestly I love both amps but if I had to choose one you might know which one I’d choose. Specially with all the tuning that can be done.

Audiolimits

Industry Expert
Dec 31, 2017
Laughlin,Nv
www.audiolimits.com
The GM70 sounds much more real than the Ongaku. It also has more attack and speed. And the bass is significantly better. The best way to describe its sound is it is very lifelike. The vocals this amp puts out are unreal. It’s powerful,textured with pin point imaging. Same with instruments. When a guitar player is playing a guitar it sounds like it’s right in the room with you and you can tell when he is using a tube amp. Brass is also amazing and sounds like real brass. The piano is full bodied with attack on the notes. The Ongaku is much more laid back, it’s very holographic,slow and romantic. it sounds beautiful. But It appears to put a little added extra reverb into the mix. It does create it’s own space and kinda puts you in a bubble of audiophile like sound. But it doesn’t sound nearly as realistic as the GM 70. it does have a very nice soothing touch and no listener fatigue with great midrange and high’s. The bass is its weak point. It is nice and rounded but by comparison doesn’t have nearly the slam and speed or attack. Another beautiful thing about the GM 70 is the tuning is endless. The bias settings really change the sound a lot. And you can tube roll very easily and boy do tubes make a big difference in the amp. And then of course you can adjust bias again with each different tube combo. I can make this amp sound almost identical to Ongaku with tube combinations and bias adjustment. It’s really cool. Honestly I love both amps but if I had to choose one you might know which one I’d choose. Specially with all the tuning that can be done.
The Spartacus I was using was the 300
I also use to have the older Spartacus 520b as well. As a matter of fact I have a pair of Spartacus 300’s available

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Many thanks for these thoughts, great references… you have here two of the amps I’d most want to have in my shortlist of dream amps.

Just wondering what signal cables were you running and whether they are copper or silver signal cables? I’d imagine the GM70 might favour copper ICs and speaker cables but maybe the Ongaku might be better suited to run with Kondo silver or upocc silver wire.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The Spartacus I was using was the 300
I also use to have the older Spartacus 520b as well. As a matter of fact I have a pair of Spartacus 300’s available
You found the SETs better sounding?

Audiolimits

Industry Expert
Dec 31, 2017
Laughlin,Nv
www.audiolimits.com
Many thanks for these thoughts, great references… you have here two of the amps I’d most want to have in my shortlist of dream amps.

Just wondering what signal cables were you running and whether they are copper or silver signal cables? I’d imagine the GM70 might favour copper ICs and speaker cables but maybe the Ongaku might be better suited to run with Kondo silver or upocc silver wire

Just wondering what signal cables were you running and whether they are copper or silver signal cables? I’d imagine the GM70 might favour copper ICs and speaker cables but maybe the Ongaku might be better suited to run with Kondo silver or upocc silver wire.
Hello, You are very welcome. Both amplifiers are quite outstanding. I’ve had many ultra high end amplifiers over the years and I have to agree with you. The Ongaku was a dream amp of mine for many years. I always said one day I will own one. Well I finally got it and love it. When I got it I loved it so much I thought I would take it to the grave with me. This was until the Destination Audio GM 70 arrived.
I am actually willing to part with the Ongaku. Hate to do it, but there is a lot of money tied up in it. for cables I switch back and forth. I use both Hemingway Audio cables. The ZCore Sigma series. And I use EnKlein XerXes. As well. Hemingway is Copper and EnKlein is silver. With the Ongaku it does seem to prefer Silver slightly more than copper. The GM 70 sounds great on both. According to Sam Copper should be better and it is preferred. But EnKlein cables are done so right. That it doesn’t sound like silver. It just sounds very musical.
Don’t laugh but I just ordered some Belden Cables to play with on the GM70 and Nika. there are a few Destination Audio Owners out there that swear by it. I need to test and compare so I ordered it.

Audiolimits

Industry Expert
Dec 31, 2017
Laughlin,Nv
www.audiolimits.com
You found the SETs better sounding?
Yes, I really love the sound of good SET amps.
it really does have a lot to do with system setup and matching. But when you get a really good SET system singing it’s magical

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Technically not a SET, but they play as good as any. Found Music - Blade. Got them 5 days ago.

40 watts. Mercury rectifier. Only 1 Mercury runs at a time. The spare is stored upright on the amp.
88 lbs each. Lots of Monolith Iron. Still breaking in. And I just got some Genelax to try.

These amps are muscular with grip. That means the detail is phenomenal. Instruments are far more natural and realistic than I have heard from any amp in my system. I could not sleep a couple nights ago. Got out of bed and turned the stereo on low. My first thought was the detail was so high it was close to having my headphones on.
The amps were selected to match my speaker demand. Found Music Would also make me a KT150. But he was unsure how available the tube would be. KT88 are everywhere, and inexpensive to replace ever 3000 to 5000 hours.

Attachments

• 20231216_150403.jpg
    20231216_150403.jpg
    698 KB · Views: 24
  • 20231216_083947.jpg
    20231216_083947.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: AudioHR and Tlay

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Technically not a SET, but they play as good as any. Found Music - Blade. Got them 5 days ago.

40 watts. Mercury rectifier. Only 1 Mercury runs at a time. The spare is stored upright on the amp.
88 lbs each. Lots of Monolith Iron. Still breaking in. And I just got some Genelax to try.

These amps are muscular with grip. That means the detail is phenomenal. Instruments are far more natural and realistic than I have heard from any amp in my system. I could not sleep a couple nights ago. Got out of bed and turned the stereo on low. My first thought was the detail was so high it was close to having my headphones on.
The amps were selected to match my speaker demand. Found Music Would also make me a KT150. But he was unsure how available the tube would be. KT88 are everywhere, and inexpensive to replace ever 3000 to 5000 hours.
KT120s or KT150s will have you married to one or two sources worldwide. KT88s allow for a lot more flex.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
KT120s or KT150s will have you married to one or two sources worldwide. KT88s allow for a lot more flex.
Yep. Why I went with it. Its appropriate power. And the other 10,000 hour tubes are only $40 or so. A very economical amp to run.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atmasphere

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Hello, You are very welcome. Both amplifiers are quite outstanding. I’ve had many ultra high end amplifiers over the years and I have to agree with you. The Ongaku was a dream amp of mine for many years. I always said one day I will own one. Well I finally got it and love it. When I got it I loved it so much I thought I would take it to the grave with me. This was until the Destination Audio GM 70 arrived.
I am actually willing to part with the Ongaku. Hate to do it, but there is a lot of money tied up in it. for cables I switch back and forth. I use both Hemingway Audio cables. The ZCore Sigma series. And I use EnKlein XerXes. As well. Hemingway is Copper and EnKlein is silver. With the Ongaku it does seem to prefer Silver slightly more than copper. The GM 70 sounds great on both. According to Sam Copper should be better and it is preferred. But EnKlein cables are done so right. That it doesn’t sound like silver. It just sounds very musical.
Don’t laugh but I just ordered some Belden Cables to play with on the GM70 and Nika. there are a few Destination Audio Owners out there that swear by it. I need to test and compare so I ordered it.
It’s great to be able to have these two amps to compare.

The idea of exploring both of them with a preamp and also then trialling with the different cables including getting in some Beldens would make for fascinating compares.

I know some have mixed feelings about videos but it would be great to capture your comparisons if you were open to it. Am sure they’d make for great videos if they capture the differences.

Either way it will be great to find out what you find in pairing with preamps if you do try them out and which cables you do settle on when trying out the Beldens as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing