Seeking SPU tonearm advice

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
P.S.: I also tried this with Micro Seiki MA-505 and Linn Ittok LV II. Same result here; it´s a fairy tale and not true at all :cool: :p
I tried it (zeroing dynamic vtf and using static vtf by counterweight) with SME V and couldn’t get a better sound. My experience matches with yours. IMHO Dynamic vtf is better on a dynamically balanced tonearm.

Reactions: Don_Camillo

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Not to mention, regarding the FR64S, that it does not seem prudent to leave the spring system 'unloaded', at least to my thinking. I have fiddled with partial split ( less on dial or more on dial ).

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
I know about those fairy tales. But did you try it out yourself? I did and this saying isn´t true

P.S.: I also tried this with Micro Seiki MA-505 and Linn Ittok LV II. Same result here; it´s a fairy tale and not true at all :cool: :p
No, I did not try it myself, and I no longer own the FR-64S, but the recommendation came directly to me from a very well known tonearm maker in Germany!

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Hello,
there are some tonearm manufacturer who gives concrete recommendations on the use of dynamic vtf combined with static vtf.
Mr. Brakemeier from Acoustical Systems recommends at least 92% statical.
The old Sumiko MDC 800 „THE Arm“ was recommended to use with 2/3 static and 1/3 dynamic vtf.
I use my Shindo Meursault (=tuned Ortofon RF297) with about 80% static vtf with excellent results.

I think, even in this theme there are several opinions and ways, and some of us favors other ways. But no need to speek of fairytale or similar discrediting descriptions…

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing