Samsung Galaxy S IV Specs Begin To Leak

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I don't see iPod as primarily an Apple innovation myself. I had (still have) a Creative Nomad Jukebox - OK its clunky and no scroll wheel and not entirely pocketable with poor battery life but its not 'innovation' to fix up those details as technology improves. iPod was a 'me too' variant of the Jukebox - a better user interface sure, but nothing particularly innovative apart from the scroll wheel. I hand it to Apple for the innovation of integration of iPod and iTunes though, that was something no other mp3 player manufacturer managed.

The innovation was not the scroll wheel, but the whole package. For starters, they were the first to manufacture a hard drive small enough to be fitted inside the iPod. Before iPod, the players could hold only about 20 songs in their solid state memory. Overnight, apple introduced a player that could hold .... 1000 songs. That is quite a difference.

Then, they greatly simplified the design, making it usable, for the first time, for a 5 year old. They have also added an excellent program to manage the device (first from Aplle computers, then from Windows based PCs), create playlist, import files etc, and finished that off with the iTunes. It was, basicly, a slum dunk, that have left the whole industry hipnotised.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
You seem to have gotten confused over some history here. Firstly Apple did not (and still do not) manufacture the hard drive, they used one from a Japanese manufacturer ( its mentioned in the Jobs biography, I forget which). Secondly my Jukebox holds well over 20 songs, it has a hard drive too - admittedly not as small as iPod's. I think its 4 or 6GB when at the same time the flash players (I had iRiver as my first one of those, but later, 256MB) were doing in the tens of MB.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
By innovation I mean coming up with a completely new product, that completely changes the market or reinvents the market.

For me innovation (on apple part) was:

- introducing the first PC computer
- introducing windows based operating system (as opposed to command line based OS that all computer used before the origonal MacIntosh was launched in 80's; subsequently Microsoft copied their design, starting with Windows 1.0)
- introducing iPod
- introducing iTunes
- introducing iPhone, which singlehandidly revolutionised the smartphone market (with lots of new groundbreaking technologies like multitouch & gestures, like swipe to open, pinch to zoom etc, G-sensors, sensor that switched the display off sensing the proximity to ear etc)
- introducing Apps Store
- intoducing iPad

I'm sure there were more, but I'm not an expert on Apple product and technologies (the only product I have ever owned from Apple is iPad). As for samsung - I do not see any innovations of this calibre. Only minor products improvements. To me Samsung have only mastered making excellent me-too products.

Other Android phone manufactures are also here to blame, but at least some of them came with their own fresh designs (Nokia, Sony, Motorola). Samsung, HTC, ZTE, Hauwei on the other hand, are just copycating someone else design, primarely Apple, but not only - HTC recently copied the Nokia design on their new smartphones, which made Nokia went ballistic.

I know that there are ppl who are OK with that, especially in Asia, where intelectual design / graphic design doesn't have that much of a value. Hell - in China you can even buy a fake BMW X5 ! I'm just not this kind of person, and that is why I will never buy a single product from one of those companies.

Didn't they sell the first consumer digital camera as well?

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
- introducing the first PC computer
- introducing windows based operating system (as opposed to command line based OS that all computer used before the origonal MacIntosh was launched in 80's; subsequently Microsoft copied their design, starting with Windows 1.0)
- introducing iPod
- introducing iTunes
- introducing iPhone, which singlehandidly revolutionised the smartphone market (with lots of new groundbreaking technologies like multitouch & gestures, like swipe to open, pinch to zoom etc, G-sensors, sensor that switched the display off sensing the proximity to ear etc)
- introducing Apps Store
- intoducing iPad

Sorry. None of these are Apple inventions. They all came before Apple. With the exception of when Steve Wozniak was still employed with Apple (hence first personal computer) ... Apple have never invented anything. They have been given credit for the inventions of others, simply because they came out with the most polished product with the best marketing.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Did I say that they did? I think you can appreciate the distinction between going first to market and inventing something from scratch.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
You seem to have gotten confused over some history here. Firstly Apple did not (and still do not) manufacture the hard drive, they used one from a Japanese manufacturer ( its mentioned in the Jobs biography, I forget which). Secondly my Jukebox holds well over 20 songs, it has a hard drive too - admittedly not as small as iPod's. I think its 4 or 6GB when at the same time the flash players (I had iRiver as my first one of those, but later, 256MB) were doing in the tens of MB.

No, I just wanted to make my post short. It was a 1.8" Toshiba 5GB HDD. Great book, read it too. The Rio Diamond, which was of the most popular Jukeboxes of the day, had 64MB of solid state storage.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Megapixels do not matter!

A little OT, but it's not quite so simple as that. There's not a noise penalty nowadays generally and more pixels can have some benefit in things like color gradations. The second or third post here provides some explanation

http://www.bythom.com

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Jack is right, see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake

Let's add the laser printer to Apple's "firsts" too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaserWriter

Now, Apple wasn't the first with a digital music player, it was actually pretty late in the game, releasing the iPod almost 4 years after the first commercial product

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_audio_player

Steve Jobs has actually said Apple won't enter markets just for the sake of it, only when it can make a considerable impact. The digital music players existed, but it wasn't until the tiny 1.8" drive came that Apple was able to enter that market. That's what separates Apple from brands like Samsung, that end up manufacturing everything from computers to refrigerators, along with TVs and cameras, all while not doing any of these properly.

alexandre

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I don't use washing machines, so I don't know what could be improved there. And I don't know how Samsung washing machines stack up to the competition too.
But I know I'd rather buy a washing machine from a company that's good at making washing machines.

alexandre

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have a Samsung washing machine - what's improper about it?

It is not Miele ;)

Just realised I got a white Samsung monitor, LOL. Even that looks like a cheap Apple copy :D

43461_backl.jpg

Last edited:

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
I don't use washing machines, so I don't know what could be improved there. And I don't know how Samsung washing machines stack up to the competition too.
But I know I'd rather buy a washing machine from a company that's good at making washing machines.

Sounds to me like you're trolling then. That Apple koolaid is pretty heady stuff... :p

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I'll say it -- it's flat out silly to say Apple isn't one of the most innovative companies in the last decade or two. Let's get real as the cliche goes.

Getting it to work (well) is harder than getting there first in many things. And they have their share of firsts too.

As I'm contributing to another thread getting hijacked by old arguments, I'll step back now as this is a Galaxy thread. If an appropriate thread is opened, I'll elaborate there.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Samsung caps (the good ones) are used in Apple products.

Obviously, for their own products, Samsung chooses the cheaper stuff ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing