Sabrina X

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Anyone here running them yet? I am considering them, but want to use my current Int amp. Curious about what folks are driving them with. I brought my amp to listen to them and it sounded great, but it was only for an hour or two. Interested to hear what folks use to drive Sabrina X.

Disc

Feb 21, 2022
I spent about two hours today listening to the Sabrina X and Yvette driven by a Boulder 866. Sounded very good. How do you think they performed with your Sugden?

Reactions: skids929

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Sounded phenomenal in terms of a sonic match for Wilson, that I am sure of. But the Tune Tot sounded better to my ear, likely because the Sugden wasn't pushing the Sabrina X as hard as it could (or need to) be pushed. This audition was with my A21SE Sugden (I have two Sugdens) not my IA4 which is a larger more powerful Integrated. A21 drove them well but Im guessing the difference I heard was Sabrina would want a little more guts than the A21 was able to give.

The reason I posed this question in the first place was because all too often we see Wilson paired with the likes of Boulder, or Dagostino or Audio Research, it's almost uncanny to be honest. Starting to think thats more Wilsons influence on dealers rather than there being some mandatory synergy with those brands we all need to consider before buying Wilson. Even the dealer I brought my Sugden to to audition the speakers said don't you dare consider any other amp than those Sugdens (which he doesn't sell btw).

I can't help but think I'd be underpowering them a little, but again they sounded VERY good, so maybe I am just flat-out wrong and they really aren't that hard to drive. I also have a smallish room as well, likely easy to pressurize. I am basically talking myself into the Sabrina X, but I was whole-heartedly imnpressed with the Tune Tot. Like they blew me away impressed, much bigger and better sounding than I anticipated.

Reactions: FDPDK and Disc

dbdb

Dec 5, 2020
Sydney Australia
I have a pair of SabrinaX speakers that I drive with a Gryphon Diablo 300. I upgraded from Wilson Duettes which I had for about 7 years. I also ran a sub with the Duettes, which I don’t use with the SabrinaX. I’m very happy with the sound and highly recommend them. My listening room is about 14 x 11, so not huge, and they work really well in the room.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I am one of those typical ARC/Wilson users, but have heard them sounding good with esoteric, accuphase and FM Acoustics amps.

Pure class A amps are not really to my taste, but if you like what you hear, buy it and don’t become too concerned with other peoples opinions, it’s your system not theirs

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I am one of those typical ARC/Wilson users, but have heard them sounding good with esoteric, accuphase and FM Acoustics amps.

Pure class A amps are not really to my taste, but if you like what you hear, buy it and don’t become too concerned with other peoples opinions, it’s your system not theirs
good advice thanks..I will let you guys know what I end up doing. Sabrinas seem like the better investment overall.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Bought em...Will be here in 2-3 months. I think I made the right decision overall. If I find I am not getting the drive I want out of them I can pivot pretty quickly into a different Integrated, have my eye on a few. I listened with my more powerful Sugden IA4 and they sounded REALLY good, with plenty of volume in a much larger space than my room (11x16'). I don't blow my brains out with volume, mostly Jazz and blues, but I like to know it's there for some romp sessions with rock and pop.

Will keep this thread posted how things evolve. Still loving the Tune Tots in the meantime, they're really special. Literally translucent.

Gary H

May 20, 2022
I'm running an integrated amp, the McIntosh MA 12000, so I auditioned the speaker at a McIntosh dealer and I liked what I heard. I ordered and was told that build and delivery will take four months..one more to go. My room is 14×22 and don't expect any issues, but might consider a fast subwoofer..will wait and see.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing