Sablon Evo usb cable

nuway

Jun 26, 2019
Mark kindly sent me his new Sablon EVO USB cable, having the 2020 version feeding two DACs, He asked me to try without pressure to buy.
Having the EVO at work for few days I liked what I heard, specially with classical studio and classical live recordings. On the third day listening did not notice the slight preference with the shunyata omega against the 2020 version. Better instrument placement with the EVO on well recorded classical music, no coloration of any kind. On rock music not much of a difference, both are great cables, much preferred than the 2020 in this Headphone setup.
At Home, I disconnected the optical Monoprice USB from the Aqua and connect the EVO directly from the Extreme to the DAC (Formula xHD), keeping the USB optical isolation with usb sablon 2020 on the MP3100HV. No SQ degradation on the MP3100HV with this setup (DSD still sound astonishing). Connecting the evo directly to the aqua(no optical isolation) and stay listening to some well known recording. It mirrors what I heard at work but even better, better Soundstage, instrument separation and better performance at low volumes. What I also like is the fact that I don't feel the need to change/tune the rest of the chain cause this evo is totally uncolored. Went ahead and purchase with no hesitation.
Thank You Mark for such great cable and customer dedication.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
@nuway - your praise is much appreciated Carlos. We've known each other for several years and I hope to bring you some more interesting new toys to play with in the near future ;)

Reactions: nuway

Rovo

Mar 6, 2022
Hello Mark,

thank you for your suggestion for improving the IEC inlet of the T+A DAC 8 DSD. Today I installed a Furutech FI-06 NCF with Neotech STDCT-12 cabling. Immediately it is clear that the higher frequencies are improved (more information and more fluid). Also the lower frequencies have benefitted, more ooompf/impact.

The modification was relatively easy, carefully removing the aft panel and modifying the aft panel to take the Furutech inlet on my milling machine.

The Neotech cabling definitely needs more playing hours (from experience at least some 50 hours), but the improvement is there. This modification definitely has a very good price/performance ratio (costs approximately 60 Euro).

It again has become clear to me that a HIFi system has to be seen as a chain of components and each part matters. Each part of the chain has to be taken to the level you try to attain. And I am happy that I resisted the "advice" of some people to try smaller cross sections for my cabling. I also tend to select my cross sections a little on the bigger side. Now that more and more components are on a higher level you notice the impact it has on the lower frequencies. They have a presence, a control, ..., and all well balanced with the rest of the frequencies.

Mark, thank you

Robert

Attachments

• IMG_20220311_150146.jpg
    IMG_20220311_150146.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20220311_150231.jpg
    IMG_20220311_150231.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 61

nuway

Jun 26, 2019
Mark kindly sent me his new Sablon EVO USB cable, having the 2020 version feeding two DACs, He asked me to try without pressure to buy.
Having the EVO at work for few days I liked what I heard, specially with classical studio and classical live recordings. On the third day listening did not notice the slight preference with the shunyata omega against the 2020 version. Better instrument placement with the EVO on well recorded classical music, no coloration of any kind. On rock music not much of a difference, both are great cables, much preferred than the 2020 in this Headphone setup.
At Home, I disconnected the optical Monoprice USB from the Aqua and connect the EVO directly from the Extreme to the DAC (Formula xHD), keeping the USB optical isolation with usb sablon 2020 on the MP3100HV. No SQ degradation on the MP3100HV with this setup (DSD still sound astonishing). Connecting the evo directly to the aqua(no optical isolation) and stay listening to some well known recording. It mirrors what I heard at work but even better, better Soundstage, instrument separation and better performance at low volumes. What I also like is the fact that I don't feel the need to change/tune the rest of the chain cause this evo is totally uncolored. Went ahead and purchase with no hesitation.
Thank You Mark for such great cable and customer dedication.
It is worth to mention the level of resolution, naturalness and realism reached by my system (Extreme-EVO-Formula xHd) using this new EVO after more than 300 hours, I had the opportunity to compare files (DSD) stored on Extreme and Qubuz streamimng with same Tracks, very impresed that boht sounded closer than never before, still small edge to DSD files on playing from Extreme's storage-MP3100HV. Curious how it will perform on the Extreme-MP3100HV with the new EVO cable and if they could maintain a stable connection with the Monoprice USB fiver cable. It is a shame that MSB pro USB can only be used on MSB DACs.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

dhemen

Jun 19, 2019
Hello everyone,

Currently using Curious Evolved USB cable between with my Lampizator Baltic 3 Dac and Sonore Ultrarendu streamer.
I wonder if any users here had the chance to compare the curious evolved with a Sablon USB cable?

Trying to figure out if Sablon Evo would be a remarkable upgrade on top of the Evolved cable...

Thanks in advance

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I recently replaced a short Curious Evolved with Mark's Sablon Evo. My opinion is that even without any break in the Sablon was an improvement; a little "cleaner" sound, a sense of getting a little bit more "into" the music. I do not notice any difference in the frequency balance. That sense of getting "into" the music also seems to open, or at least sharpen, the stereo image just a bit.

I use an EtherRegen into a Euphony Stylus server into the MSB ProISL interface to the Discrete DAC.

Glide3

Nov 25, 2019
While I didn’t compare the Curious Evolved directly with the EVO, I did compare it to the 2020 and preferred the 2020 in all ways and then preferred the EVO to the 2020 in all ways. By extension, I would assume you would experience a meaningful improvement with either the 2020 or the EVO. With the normal caveats that this is based on my system and my preferences

I do think the Curious is a very good cable for the money

Moladiego

May 30, 2022
I compared Sablon EVO
Has anyone compared the FTA Sinope with the Sablon Evo? This might be splitting hairs (since both are excellent), but if anyone could compare and contrast that two, that would be great. Thanks.
I have just compared Sablon EVO with FTA Sinope. The first night when the Evo was brand new, not broken in. Even so, there was no match. Evo was noticeably better, more transparent, more vivid, more extended and airier. Sinope is very smooth and excellent, but Evo has the extra range and liveliness that is not matched. Second night (after 24 hours of breaking in), Evo has become smoother and more refined. Evo is no brainer given its outstanding quality and reasonable pricing. I have found the right USB cable. The USB cable connects a Taiko Extreme and a Lampizator Pacific DAC.

Sniper17

Nov 27, 2018
I compared Sablon EVO

I have just compared Sablon EVO with FTA Sinope. The first night when the Evo was brand new, not broken in. Even so, there was no match. Evo was noticeably better, more transparent, more vivid, more extended and airier. Sinope is very smooth and excellent, but Evo has the extra range and liveliness that is not matched. Second night (after 24 hours of breaking in), Evo has become smoother and more refined. Evo is no brainer given its outstanding quality and reasonable pricing. I have found the right USB cable. The USB cable connects a Taiko Extreme and a Lampizator Pacific DAC.
My dealer and I tested several so called reference USB CABLES. The USB was going to a Nagra Tube DAC and the Ideon Clock! No contest. Sablon wins! BTW, the Sablon SPDIF cable with Bocchino connectors is excellent!

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
I compared Sablon EVO

Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions @Moladiego. Is still early days and you should be able to discern further improvements on a daily basis over the next week if left on repeat. Do let us know how things progress for you!

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
My dealer and I tested several so called reference USB CABLES. The USB was going to a Nagra Tube DAC and the Ideon Clock! No contest. Sablon wins! BTW, the Sablon SPDIF cable with Bocchino connectors is excellent!
Glad you’re enjoying both cables @Sniper17 - the bocchino rca spdif is a particular favourite of mine.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
An extensive and insightful review from Bigblue of my evo usb cable against two of the leading contenders and summarised beneath the link

He compared with the following cables:
- Shunyata Omega
- Nordost Valhalla V2
- Nordost Tyr 2
- Supra Excalibur

Here is a summary of my impressions after listening to the USB cables.
The cable that was attached from the beginning was, as I said, my Supra Excalibur.
If we talk price/performance, it is hard to beat and a really good starting point for those who want to start exploring USB wired music playback.
But at the same time it was clear quite soon that this will not be my final station.
In my set up, I experienced that wind instruments and bright vocal tones had a tendency to become well... glassy.
A feature that I associate closely with many digital reproductions - and could happily do without.

With Tyr 2 from Nordost, it was no longer a factor. Instead, there was a little more speed in the music experience and a snap in the notes.
Features that made me simply experience it as a little more "fun" to listen to.

But I was all too curious about what awaited one floor up so after playing my test tracks a few times I switched to the big brother - Nordost Valhalla V2.
If you have made the same journey through the Nordost family in other contexts (e.g. analog signal cables), I think you will recognize yourself.
Here I got a little more weight in the presentation, even more start and stop, and additional depth in the lowest notes.
Yes, this was clearly a cable that was a step, or two up from the Tyr 2.

But what can Shunyata offer as its Top Of The Line product? Which also has a similar price tag...

Well, an Omega USB, and now a very exciting comparison awaited me.
Here I now had two of the market's major cable manufacturers and their state of the art product when it comes to USB.
Changing cables between Valhalla and Omega was quick, which allowed me to test each product on a variety of tracks.

If you listened and compared different cable manufacturers, I think you could tell them apart quite easily.
I count myself among you and yes, there was a house sound here too.
Shunyata is somewhat "richer" than Nordost, perceived as somewhat "warmer" in my system. However, I did not feel that it was in any way "dark".
Otherwise, I would call them equally competent when it comes to the ability to deliver a complete reproduction.
Which one you choose is of course a matter of matching - which cable signature enriches your system in the best way....?

Everything listening to cables and how it affects a system is not for everyone. I have full respect and understanding for that.
But for me as a curious person myself, this is a favor as I get first-hand information about how I experience the differences when they play in my own system.
Something that makes it easier to enter into discussions on the subject, without having to "guess" or convey information that you heard or read about second or third hand.

But the most important question is - what do I do now with this wonderful listening impression information?
I had now had the privilege of listening to cables from about SEK 1,000 to just over SEK 40,000, and I now had a good idea of how far I could take my system's sound upgrade if I opened my wallet wide.

When I put the price tag in relation to how far I felt it lifted my facility, I didn't think I got as far as I had thought/wanted. Yes, it was definitely a lift and as always - it's hard/impossible to go back once you've heard how much good sound is available further up the ladder. But I felt that I wanted to continue exploring the area. Can I get as far with any other option? Is there anything off the beaten path?

Inspired by, among other things, @VoicesInMyHead I decided to order home a cable from the UK at open sale. This in the form of a Sablon Evo USB.
Completely unknown brand to me, but there seems to be a crowd of audiophiles who elevate these products to the skies.
Fun, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't just about "bang for the buck" but actual sonic improvement in my system.
Now I had 28 days to test - if I changed my mind, I could send it back but had to pay for the return shipping myself.
So nothing to lose or cling to mentally if I felt I made a "wrong purchase".

But it became clear quite quickly that this (in my system) was a very successful combination.
Here I got the best of both worlds - i.e. the unique qualities that I appreciated in Shunyata and Nordost respectively.
Sablon Evo succeeded in combining the organic properties of Omega with the dynamic magic of Valhalla V2.
All for a price tag that was also very attractive.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Some nice customer feedback on evo compared to its already rather capable predecessor. Plenty more to come after burn-in!

I ran it in for about 4 hours, and couldn’t wait any longer - I finally gave it a go. When I started listening, it was quite astonishing.

The EVO sounds like the Sablon 2020 on steroids, but somehow with more micro detail, separation, and a wider soundstage. There is also a more refined and deeper bass. Furthermore, I’m hearing things I haven’t heard before - which only usually happens with a 3-6k upgrade. Really impressed, to say the least!!

Reactions: Bestir and ctydwn

luca.pelliccioli

Aug 20, 2022
Hi @Sablon Audio (Mark), If you are interested I cited your WTB thread on PS Audio forum to collect more infos about your brand and cable, where trusted members are debating about USB cables and Omega in particular

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

Rhodium

Jul 2, 2017
Hello music lovers,
I have a complete Audio Sablon line from the Ethernet to the cable loudspeakers; I'm delighted with the depth and presence these links bring to my system.
Reading this post and Mark Coles' comments, it was tempting to switch from Usb 2020 to Usb Evo, while wondering what more it could bring to a more than satisfactory acoustic atmosphere, without obvious defects, at least to my ears.
I just took the plunge, with no regrets.
No fluff! The EVO gives the same acoustics as the 2020 but it does everything better, it brings you closer to the window or the balcony which puts you in direct contact with the performers... More presence of the musicians, better outlines, more space between them, more depth, more atmosphere, more harmonics, more authority of the low register which poses the whole scene; nothing overdone or exaggerated but a gain in presence, in naturalness, in listening serenity, like the other Sablon interconnects.
Very satisfied with this latest upgrade, it must be implemented to realize what the usb link can bring...
Thanks Mark.

Pichler

Apr 1, 2022
I'm not very good at writing, but I can only thank you in the forum and Mark. I bought two Evo USB for the Innuos Phoenix connected to a simple laptop and to Dave; the result is the sum of what you wrote about these cables. Musical, transparent, dynamic, without special effects but a lot of pleasure. The consonants are beautiful.

Thanks again Mark for your patience.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Some pleasing (but not unprecedented…) customer feedback on my Evo usb cable

I have now had my EVO USB for almost a month, and it has settled very nicely after burn-in

The overall sound of the EVO is not much different from the 2020, but that's also where all comparisons end!

Because the EVO is a major improvement over the 2020 on all counts and is easily the best audiophile USB cable I have heard (and that's quite a few). It is extremely well balanced and has wonderful clarity and neutrality, with perhaps just a smidge of warmth that is just so nice.

To me, the most important improvement is how the EVO depicts the spatiality of the recording venue. I have found (very good) live recordings of a few concerts where I was actually present, and with the EVO it is quite easy to recognise the "signature" and reverb/depth of the concert hall (as well as the instrument layout), and it's almost like being back at the concert - wow!

Obviously, that improvement is a result of the EVO's ability to extract a vast amount of spatial detail from the recordings, in the same way that it does with everything else! Fabulous!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing