Roon End-point for Soulution 760 DAC

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
Yes....I also had a Esoteric NO1 XD for approximately a year. The Esoteric has a better internal DAC, however I prefer the the HI FI ROSE, to the extant that it can also be used as just a Transport (there’s no digital out with the Esoteric, so if one wanted to use a better DAC (yes the internal DAC of the NO1 XD is very good, and while the FPGA DAC in the DAC portion of the ESOTERIC will probably benefit from future updates via it’s ETHERNET port) it’s “TRANSPORT” capabilities are limited , (in my opinion).

Also there’s no Remote Control capability, which is somewhat strange on a $20,000 MSRP DAC/ STREAMER . Don’t get me wrong, the NXO1 XD, is a superb unit. Beautifully built, and the overall sound with the on board DAC is very, very good. Compared to using it as just a Streamer/ DAC, versus the HI FI ROSE, as a STREAMER/DAC, the Esoteric is the better unit if sound is your first priority. However with the feature set that the ROSE 150 offers, and the capability of adding a SOTA outboard DAC, at some point, swings the scales towards the ROSE 150, for me, and finally the on board display is SOTA....makes for a very pleasurable user experience.
Cheers.....
Thank you Mr Jazz. It is a bit hard to compare N01 as it has own internal DAC. Did you compare HifiRose with any other transport such as Aurrender or Auralic etc? I hope it's a decent transport.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Why is everyone saying Roon sounds not good or compromises sound quality ;)
I'm sure there is a very good reason. You did ask the question and you appear to not like the answer.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Thank you Mr Jazz. It is a bit hard to compare N01 as it has own internal DAC. Did you compare HifiRose with any other transport such as Aurrender or Auralic etc? I hope it's a decent transport.
The HI FI ROSE 150 also has its own internal Dac as well. It uses a ESS 9038 PRO Dac chip. It has a Femto Clock ( don’t know which one/value). The overall sound is very clear, smooth, and just a bit on the warm side of neutral ( most implementations of the 9038 PRO usually fall on the neutral to slightly cool side of the spectrum).

The only other Streamer that I used recently that has the option of a digital out are the LUMIN D2; and Bluesound NODE 2I. They are both very limited in their capabilities and sound quality.

Cheers......

Last edited:

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
I'm sure there is a very good reason. You did ask the question and you appear to not like the answer.
I have ZERO issues with ROON. With their 1.8 Build update, their sound took a nice “up-tick” in sound....at least that’s what I heard here. Supposedly there’s about to be another build release in November that’s going to bring more improvements.
Cheers,...

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
@SwissTom There are a lot of people on forums who don't like certain products. Roon, MQA, Tidal, etc. are a few of the latest ones. I suggest you use forums like this to get ideas of what is out there like new products, etc. You should listen and make your own decision. If you like Roon, listen to Roon. I personally have found products sound different. Some will take that to be better and some will say it is worst. At the end of the day you are the one who will be listening to music in your home, not people on forums. Whatever system you end up with will be great for you.

Reactions: SwissTom

belancer

Sep 16, 2020
I just ordered the Soulution 760 DAC and Soulution 711 amplifier.

My music server is Roon Rock installed on a dedicated NUC based server.

That server is located somewhere in my network away from the HiFi.

I'm looking for a Roon End Point (transport only) to connect to the 760, whether USB or AES.

Most of the offerings are servers, which I don't need.

There aren't many transports-only available.

The options could be :

• Sonore Signature Rendu Optical SE
  • Lumin U1

Is there anything else available?

The other option would be to stick with the LAN adapter included in the Soulution 760 and use rooUPnP as a RAAT to UPnP converter.

Is something else available ?
What are you views?

Thank you for your help,

Tom
If you insist Roon rock on NUC:
- Try best linear power supply for the NUC, to name a few like Paul Hynes, Sean jacobs,…
- a reference endpoint like Aqua LinQ may fit your need. You can use it with Roon server by enable HQplayer on Roon, and NAA to the LinQ. NAA sounds better than
Roon Raat.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Supposedly there’s about to be another build release in November that’s going to bring more improvements.
Do you have insight in what a new release will bring? Will it be another 1.8 update or a 1.9 new release?

I just hope this time roon will have tested properly themselves instead of just throwing out new updates to have the community test troubleshoot their "product" like they used to do until now.

And I REALLY hope they will FINALLY fix the search, after 2 years of not working properly (or at all) :mad:

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Do you have insight in what a new release will bring? Will it be another 1.8 update or a 1.9 new release?

I just hope this time roon will have tested properly themselves instead of just throwing out new updates to have the community test troubleshoot their "product" like they used to do until now.

And I REALLY hope they will FINALLY fix the search, after 2 years of not working properly (or at all) :mad:
You can look at Roon page for notes on their updates:

Regarding testing I have yet to find any company that puts out code that is 100% bug free for everybody. Sorry but that isn't feasible because everybody's setup is unique.

I would also suggest you put in a feature request or open a ticket on Roon's page for help with your search feature issue. Curious when you say search isn't working as to what isn't working? I personally wish I could search differently but for the most part it seems to work for me. For example I would love to be able to search on a title by artist. Maybe I can and just don't know how.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
You can look at Roon page for notes on their updates:

Regarding testing I have yet to find any company that puts out code that is 100% bug free for everybody. Sorry but that isn't feasible because everybody's setup is unique.

I would also suggest you put in a feature request or open a ticket on Roon's page for help with your search feature issue. Curious when you say search isn't working as to what isn't working? I personally wish I could search differently but for the most part it seems to work for me. For example I would love to be able to search on a title by artist. Maybe I can and just don't know how.
Feel free to post a feature request on the roon community :p
I have feature requests dating back to when roon hit the market back in 2016 :mad:

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
If you insist Roon rock on NUC:
- Try best linear power supply for the NUC, to name a few like Paul Hynes, Sean jacobs,…
- a reference endpoint like Aqua LinQ may fit your need. You can use it with Roon server by enable HQplayer on Roon, and NAA to the LinQ. NAA sounds better than
Roon Raat.
Welcome belancer to wbf.

Reactions: belancer

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
So far no one has suggested one of the Sonore products for a Roon end point. Are they just considered too low level in this case? I have two opticalRendu’s and have been pretty satisfied with their performance In my setup.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
So far no one has suggested one of the Sonore products for a Roon end point. Are they just considered too low level in this case? I have two opticalRendu’s and have been pretty satisfied with their performance In my setup.
They are great products. I know a few people who have them and love them.

SwissTom

Sep 30, 2021
Capture.JPG

After a lot of hesitations and procrastination, I think I'll end up buying a Taiko SGM Extreme.

This is not what I expected, but currently, it is the best option available.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
View attachment 87061

After a lot of hesitations and procrastination, I think I'll end up buying a Taiko SGM Extreme.

This is not what I expected, but currently, it is the best option available.
Are you planning on running Roon Core on the Taiko? I know you were against connecting a Roon Core directly to your DAC. Not sure if you view a streamer with integrated Roon Core the same.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing