Rice Cooker

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
We have had Zoji and Panasonics and they are great for asian rice but terrible for Indian/middle-eastern rice and hence my question. The latter relies on making a crust and using aromatic rice that needs to stay separate. So currently we have two rice cookers one for each purpose.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I've never understood the rice cooker thing. I have a small stainless steel saucepan with an aluminum/copper/aluminum sandwich bottom. Put in a cup of brown (always brown/whole grain for me) rice and 2 cups of chicken stock or water. Bring it to a boil. Stir once. Turn down to simmer. Cover. Take it off the heat 50 minutes later.

It's perfect every time.

Tim

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I've never understood the rice cooker thing. I have a small stainless steel saucepan with an aluminum/copper/aluminum sandwich bottom. Put in a cup of brown (always brown/whole grain for me) rice and 2 cups of chicken stock or water. Bring it to a boil. Stir once. Turn down to simmer. Cover. Take it off the heat 50 minutes later.

It's perfect every time.

Tim
Did you ever watch the informationals with the tag line "set it and forget it it?" That is what the rice maker lets you do. You put the rice and water in there, turn it on. It makes rice and keeps it warn up to 24 hours until you are ready to eat it. We usually start the rice maker and the focus on what goes on it and let the rice maker do its thing.

For middle eastern rice, the best method is actually on the cooktop as the rice needs to be drained like pasta. That process cannot be duplicated with the rice maker so when we want to have really good rice, we make it on the stove as you do. But for most occasions, the rice maker is extremely convenient.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
We have had Zoji and Panasonics and they are great for asian rice but terrible for Indian/middle-eastern rice and hence my question. The latter relies on making a crust and using aromatic rice that needs to stay separate. So currently we have two rice cookers one for each purpose.

Yes - agreed. If you want a crust, there are different ways to do it. I'll post my recipes for Biryani (Indian rice), Paella (Spanish rice), Risotto (Italian rice), and also North African tangine-cooked lamb-rice dishes..... when I have the time.

See? I can't live without rice :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Look forward to them Gary. We don't have a good Biryani recipe. And anytime we make Paella, it comes out a gooey mess.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Did you ever watch the informationals with the tag line "set it and forget it it?" That is what the rice maker lets you do. You put the rice and water in there, turn it on. It makes rice and keeps it warn up to 24 hours until you are ready to eat it. We usually start the rice maker and the focus on what goes on it and let the rice maker do its thing.

I certainly get that. I thought maybe they did something special that I was avoiding by eating only whole-grain rice. By the way, do rice cookers have settings for whole grain?

For middle eastern rice, the best method is actually on the cooktop as the rice needs to be drained like pasta.

Sounds like a business opportunity Amir. Invent a rice cooker that automatically drains at the appropriate time, through a small tube run to your sink, then adjusts to the perfect holding temperature. The perfect product for the growing Middle Eastern population in America.

Tim

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The Zojirushi and the Sanyo also have settings for brown rice (=whole grain rice). They are micro-processor controlled, so there is no "setting" per se. The only thing you have to do is to use the measuring cup they provide, and put the correct amount of water in them. From what I understand, they are even barometric adaptive for different elevations.

These rice-cookers, especially the Zojirushi were invented by the Japanese and Chinese for the perfection of fluffy, fragrant rice with no crust, no draining, etc. There are certainly other ways to cook rice, and there are many different types of rice. Basmati rice also works perfectly in these rice cookers, if you want it fragrant and fluffy.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Yeah, in spite of my committment to nutty and chewy, I've got to admit that sometimes fragrant and fluffy sounds pretty good.

Tim

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yeah, in spite of my committment to nutty and chewy, I've got to admit that sometimes fragrant and fluffy sounds pretty good.

Tim

In which case, you will like this one:
http://www.zojirushi.com/products/nphbc

It has settings for brown rice, and GABA(sprouted) brown rice. I've tried GABA rice, and it comes out nutty and fluffy. The newest Zoji's also have umami setting. I'm curious to try, and waiting for my current rice cooker to break :p

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
In which case, you will like this one:
http://www.zojirushi.com/products/nphbc

It has settings for brown rice, and GABA(sprouted) brown rice. I've tried GABA rice, and it comes out nutty and fluffy. The newest Zoji's also have umami setting. I'm curious to try, and waiting for my current rice cooker to break :p

$350 bucks? Clearly I've failed to effectively communicate how cheap I am. My sauce pan is paid for and doing a bang-up job of making rice. $350? Ok, so it's not that I'm cheap, it's a matter of priorities. An awful lot of good bourbon can be had for $350.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Those are induction ones Tim. Normal rice makers go for as little as $30. Indeed, the type we use for middle-eastern rice where you want the crust, cost around $50 to $60.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Those are induction ones Tim. Normal rice makers go for as little as $30. Indeed, the type we use for middle-eastern rice where you want the crust, cost around $50 to $60.

Ah. Now we're talking. That's just one bottle of decent bourbon. :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
When I first got here, and wasn't sure that I was going to be staying in the US for more than a week every 3 months, I bought one at the outlet mall for $20. It worked very well. I think that it was by Black and Decker. Still cooked pretty good rice.

The induction rice cookers with micro-processor control are unfortunately quite expensive.

I never thought you were cheap - just frugal.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing