Rethinking Frugal

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have not worked through this thread, and may be this has been brought up before, but I want to offer an idea about frugality. I would think most folks thinking of frugal think about building a good system for a relatively small financial outlay (i.e. buying good gear that is affordable).

I would not fit that description, because I have a very substantial amount of money sunk in my system, but I consider myself highly frugal and here is why. I never worry so much about how much I pay for a component, and how much money is tied up in electronics. Money in the bank fetches 1-2%. What I care about is operating cost, which is basically depreciation and financing cost (the latter is very low when money is cheap).

So if I buy say a pair of speakers for 10K, use them for 3 years and sell them for 10K, I am typically out a few hundred bucks shipping and a few hundred bucks foregone interests. It does not get anymore frugal than that! My sweetspot is gear about 3-5 years old retailing for 40% of MSRP. Typically, when it is 6-8 years old you can still get 40%, in other words, the stuff is fully depreciated. Works all the time for speakers, amps and cables.

Digital or other very current gear is a bit trickier. If something brand new comes out that I really want no real used market for with 60% off retail exists. The trick here is to shop around and get 20% of retail - may be a dealer demo. After 2-3 years of usage the stuff can still be resold for 20-30%, so your depreciation is 10% in 3 years - not bad at all. Works like a charm!

Using this approach, I have owned stuff for less than 48 hours and resold without loss if I did not like it upon hearing in my system. Far preferable than 30 day trials and dealer demos. You just need to get over the barrier of writing a 5,000 check to do an in house demo.

Full disclose: I take a hit occasionaly on stuff I buy at full retail and end up selling because of configuration changes. Check audiogon shortly for examples!

One caveat - don't be tempted by really cheap esoteric stuff. You think you may get a killer deal at 30% of retail, but could be stuck with the stuff forever is there is no resale market (anyone interested in a pair of sonoram plateau cables?).

For those that object - but I really want this particular brand and model, and it never shows up used I say this. There is so much gear, and so little time to listen and compare, you might as well take your chances with something new. Case in point. I was a happy user of Avalon Eidolon and had some money to spend on an upgrade. A pair of Avalon Times had been listed for $35K for months (now $32K). Not so tempting, because I estimate I could get $25K back for these tops. So I passed.

Next thing I know a pair of evolution acoustics MM3 show up for a price I can always resell them for. I jump on it and could not be happier. Good-bye Avalon, welcome evolution acoustics!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Point well taken. There is still the price of entry, but it is not a bad way to tie up your money, assuming you have no other more immediate priorities, if you can confidently get your money out of it.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I did this for years with acoustic guitars. There are far more of them out there than are available to play in person anywhere outside of NY and LA, and guitar players are as fickle and spendy as Audiophiles, so nearly-new nearly fully-depreciated examples were easy to come by. For nearly a decade I bought and sold "like new" large-bodied (I've had my small guitar of choice for awhile) acoustic guitars, looking for "the one." I had a ton of fun, got to own/play a bunch of great instruments, learned a whole lot about tone, playability and what works for me.

Then I found the one and a whole different fun began. I lost track somewhere along the line, but I seriously doubt if a decade of playing and experiencing and finally ending up with an instrument I just love cost me more than a few hundred dollars above the price of the keeper. That's a bargain.

Now lots of players would have just kept them all. I haven't got it in me. I owned a bunch of really great guitars that just weren't right for me. That doesn't mean they need to hang on a wall or sit in a case under the bed most of the time. If they don't get played, I don't keep them. YMMV.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing