Hyper Sonic X4 Cartridge

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
As with all of my non-loudspeaker products, I only get into something when I find that what is available commercially does not satisfy. I've had a stable of cartridges that I rotate because none of them totally satisfy. The Transfiguration Proteus D was my favorite overall, but unfortunately is no longer available.

However, the Sonic X4 is not just my design. It has a lot of my inputs and nudges in the direction I wanted it to go, but it also has the cumulative set of ideas, ideals and desires that my partners at Hyper wanted. And combined, the four of us have over 150 years of shared knowledge and experience in music reproduction (including recording and music making).

Sonic X4 HiRez 4.jpg

We showed various prototypes at all previous shows that we participated in, and the final prototype was showed at the Pacific Audiofest in Summer. At the recent Capital Audiofest, the first production unit (Serial No. #001) had a few of my friends awestruck at what it could retrieve from vinyl grooves.

Sonic X4 HiRez 1.jpg

Making a phono cartridge for extreme performance, EVERYTHING matters. It was built by a renown Swiss cartridge maker to our extreme specifications. The Hyper Sonic X4 is a unique moving coil cartridge with a Multi-Layer Core. Combined with a new, stronger magnetic alloy shaped for better focus of magnetic flux, less coil-turns could be used for a given electrical output. (only 0.2mV output with 4 ohm impedance)

Sonic X4 11.jpg

A stiff sapphire cantilever was chosen. This is inserted into a hardened titanium sleeve to transfer every micro-deflection generated by the micro-ridge stylus to the moving coil. This gives the Sonic X4 the ability to trace every minute detail of the grooves cut in the lacquer by the sharp cutter of the lathe. The generator is rigidly held in place relative to the interface to the tonearm with a titanium superstructure. The body is made of shot-peen surface hardened titanium. Three tungsten inserts are strategically placed to enhance the inertia stability of the cartridge and improve resonance damping.

Playing a reference lacquer cut by Bernie Grundman, and comparing to the 30ips master that he used to cut that lacquer, this is as good as it gets.

Sonic X4 HiRez 3.jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Gary! It is clear that a lot of great thinking went into this cartridge!

Reactions: garylkoh

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Any idea on price and availability. I’m in the market for a new cartridge and looking at alternatives to my usual Koetsu.

Peterhongkong

Oct 14, 2023
Hong Kong
Any idea on price and availability. I’m in the market for a new cartridge and looking at alternatives to my usual Koetsu.
I saw it today at the HK dealer Forthwise's showroom. Price HK$ 140.000,- or US$ 18.000,-

Congratulations Gary, it took you a long time since you mentioned it during our trip to Guangzhou 4 years ago but the result looks stunning :eek:)
Best regards, Peter

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I saw it today at the HK dealer Forthwise's showroom. Price HK$ 140.000,- or US$ 18.000,-

Congratulations Gary, it took you a long time since you mentioned it during our trip to Guangzhou 4 years ago but the result looks stunning :eek:)
Best regards, Peter

Everything took longer than we thought.... But I am very pleased with the results. The combination of low impedance and low output means that it is unfortunately very demanding on the phonostage matching. Hence, we are considering a higher-output higher-impedance version for lower-gain/higher-noise phonostages.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Gary. Would the new CH Precision P10 phono preamp be sufficient?

Perfect. The CH was one of the phonostages used during the development in Switzerland. Not sure if the designer owns a P1 or the P10 though.....

ChasFreeland

Aug 16, 2019
How would it pair with my Genesis phono pre-amp? Is it available in BKK?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing