REL subs and Audia Flight Strumento Amp

louawalters

Jul 21, 2020
Looking for some guidance connecting my two Rel carbon specials via high level input to my en-route Audia Flight Strumento no 4 amp. I bought used and I cannot determine if the no 4 is a fully symmetrical or single ended output. I have reached out to the Canadian distributor for AF and he didn’t know so has reached out to AF in Italy but we haven’t heard back. Also reached out to my dealer where I purchased my RELs, also no info there.
I’m hoping someone on this forum knows so I don’t hook up the RELs incorrectly.

thanks
Lou

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Log a call/email to Rel. I'm sure they will give you options. They have helped me in the past.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Looking for some guidance connecting my two Rel carbon specials via high level input to my en-route Audia Flight Strumento no 4 amp. I bought used and I cannot determine if the no 4 is a fully symmetrical or single ended output. I have reached out to the Canadian distributor for AF and he didn’t know so has reached out to AF in Italy but we haven’t heard back. Also reached out to my dealer where I purchased my RELs, also no info there.
I’m hoping someone on this forum knows so I don’t hook up the RELs incorrectly.

thanks
Lou
Strumento 4 has great connectivity
rca as well as xlr inputs, the xlr is both male and female so u can piggyback of that
also u have 2 sets of binding posts which i think u would use for high level to the subs ( guess as im not familiar with Red)

louawalters

Jul 21, 2020
Thanks All - I have reached out to REL. Basically, when connecting high-level out from an amp to a REL SUb, the sub needs to see a single ended signal. So Negative cannot be hot. With a symmetrical or differential output amp, the -ve terminal and the +ve terminal both have voltage. This would screw up the REL. So different wiring based on the type of output - all of this is well documented on REL website. Thing is, I do not know if the output of the Strumento is differential or single ended. I suppose I could test with a voltage meter, connecting the negative lead to ground, positive lead to the neg terminal and measure if there is voltage????

louawalters

Jul 21, 2020
REL provided the following…. Thanks Dermot @ REL

Hello Lou,

So clearly you know how to connect a pair of RELs to monoblock Class D amps.

Do the exact same hook up scheme with your new amp and you should be fine. The Class D connection method will work with any type of amplifier. It's all about making sure we ground the black wire properly and if you figured out what to do with the Class D amps than replicating that with the solid state amp that is potentially balanced would be a breeze.

Thanks,
Dermot

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing