REL No. 25

Sep 10, 2012
scotland
use a pair of REL gibralter G1s - sealed box & AB Amp not the usual ported / bash plate amp all boom & thud used in home cimema
usually don,t hear them at all X/over @ 35hz until deep bass arrives & then deep , quick , tuneful LFE & as quick as my Stats

god knows what six of them them sounds like , but of dub or organ music & the floors rattle

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have not heard the 25 - yet. However, I have heard the 212/SE. In my opinion, it was hugely better than their older downward firing subs, which I always thought were real "thud buckets" every time I heard them. Not so here.
I have an old downward firing REL, the Storm III. It stands on an ASC subtrap, which makes all the difference -- no "thud bucket" here. There are comments by others on my system thread about the seriously fast bass of high quality in my system.

ASC subtrap:

http://www.acousticsciences.com/products/subtrap

Edit: I would expect that a subtrap would benefit forward firing subs as well. I certainly wouldn't want to live without one anymore, regardless.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have an old downward firing REL, the Storm III. It stands on an ASC subtrap, which makes all the difference -- no "thud bucket" here. There are comments by others on my system thread about the seriously fast bass of high quality in my system.

ASC subtrap:

http://www.acousticsciences.com/products/subtrap

Edit: I would expect that a subtrap would benefit forward firing subs as well. I certainly wouldn't want to live without one anymore, regardless.
Fascinating...i have huge benefits from our Auralex subwoofer isolation platform. But its not 22" off the floor, and with designers like ASC, that is a very compelling solution. I wonder how they compare? by any chance, did you ever look into or speak with anyone about the Auralex subwoofer platform?

The Velodyne DD18+ was too big for it...so i got a different Auralex which is the same design as their Subwoofer platform, but bigger.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Fascinating...i have huge benefits from our Auralex subwoofer isolation platform. But its not 22" off the floor, and with designers like ASC, that is a very compelling solution. I wonder how they compare? by any chance, did you ever look into or speak with anyone about the Auralex subwoofer platform?

The Velodyne DD18+ was too big for it...so i got a different Auralex which is the same design as their Subwoofer platform, but bigger.
Great to hear that you also have good experiences with a platform under the subwoofer. I had not heard about the Auralex platform before. I wonder if the biggest ASC subtrap (22 inches wide) would be wide enough for a subwoofer as large as yours, but if not I am sure ASC would be willing to make a custom product. They manufacture custom products all the time. -- I use the 18 inch wide subtrap.

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
Hello,

Going back to the topick, anybody with Rel 25 in their system? Any comparisons?
Thanks,

VPN

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Cumming, GA
www.getbettersound.com
I have a pair of 212SE's in our listening room, I am more than impressed. You cannot tell there are subs on until there are bass notes present and a few simultaneous bass lines are a revelation. Although the 212SE subs (2 active/2 passive 12"/1000watt amps) deliver power and authority in the bass region, which changes for the better the soundstage, the depth, the midrange and even the high end, I am most impressed with the bass note nuances, harmonics, decay and texture.

I am thinking of putting the 25 six pack in, but I don't want to mess with the one pair of 212SE's as the sound is so good.
Agreed.

Best REL sub, IMO.

About us

• Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing