REL No. 25

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This new REL subwoofer has a 15" diameter cone.

REL switched to Class D amplification for this subwoofer.

Has anybody heard it yet?

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
How low can you go - stacked rel 25s
25_Stack_In_LivingRoom_crop1.jpeg

Reactions: Mikem53

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
For $45K retail for this "six pack", seems like a deal to me.

And still doesn't have the displacement of one of the big boy woofers that's out there for 1/5th the money.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
And still doesn't have the displacement of one of the big boy woofers that's out there for 1/5th the money.

16Hz, cool, do you mind showing a link or a pic to the "big boy" woofers you mention?....thx...curious.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Mike. I have always had the impression based upon reading only that the built in to the room rotary woofer was the lowest hitting, most accurate, most musical sub out there. Though I have never heard one (yet).

Is this not the case?

Tom

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hello, Mike. I have always had the impression based upon reading only that the built in to the room rotary woofer was the lowest hitting, most accurate, most musical sub out there. Though I have never heard one (yet).

Is this not the case?

Tom

I did hear one once at a show. I have heard the same thing as far as it's performance. but it's like playing with dynamite. it can break stuff....very large stuff....kinda like a earthquake....hard to exactly control what it does. It's not a relevant product for a serious music system other than a curiosity. it is more a home theatre type product.

I cannot imagine trying to integrate it with another subwoofer for music. you could do it.....but could you do it well?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Interesting. Thanks Mike and duly noted.

Tom

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
16Hz, cool, do you mind showing a link or a pic to the "big boy" woofers you mention?....thx...curious.

Exquisite sound quality, displacement equal to (8) 18" drivers (yes, I have heard this comparison ) 4000K watt continuous amp, 24" driver with low inductance, will play down to 1hz with 4 1/2" of travel, quality cabinetry. Integrates perfectly with main speakers and can be crossed over in the 100hz range as its 90 pound motor retains linear control of the voice coil. The cone barely moves with most music below 95db but excites the room like no 15 or 18" woofer can, as there's no replacement for displacement :)
But it's no different than anything else in life, as until you experience it, it's just talk and specs. Like the old saying, "Contentment is destroyed by comparison "
http://www.deepseasound.com

Last edited:

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
this one is a 'big boy' with large displacement maybe

but it's not really intended for music applications so much.....not relevant to the finer points of musical enjoyment.

but if moving doors or reproducing helicopter noise, or tearing down buildings is your thing........

It is rather limited to 110db though, and requires its own room or a very large cabinet, and although it would not bother the high dollar members on here, it is quite expensive compared to other "subs". I would love to feel one of these one day:)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It is rather limited to 110db though, and requires its own room or a very large cabinet, and although it would not bother the high dollar members on here, it is quite expensive compared to other "subs". I would love to feel one of these one day:)

"The TRW-17 itself goes for $12,900, and the motor controller adds another $350. Eminent Technology also sells an amp and crossover for $700. Then there's the design and installation of the manifold and backwave chambers, which is typically $8000 to $12,000, bringing the grand total to somewhere between $22,000 and $26,000."

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/eminent-technology-trw-17-rotary-subwoofer#1h6xq6RgHCDzOVG5.99

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
well........110db at 1hz might crack your walls. be careful what you ask for. you are playing in a sandbox with new rules.
No doubt. I have experienced 5Hz at close to that level and all bets are off for normal "bass" at that point. I had to walk out of the room just to get my bearings straight without involuntarily throwing.....I'll leave it at that. The 300 lb sub walked across the floor and there were cracks, some of which I would have sworn were in my skull at that time. Sandbox with new rules doesn't even begin to touch it IMO. That's just the start.

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Upon further thought.....those who have experienced it, did not have a positive experience with it. Mark my words.

Tom

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have not heard the 25 - yet. However, I have heard the 212/SE. In my opinion, it was hugely better than their older downward firing subs, which I always thought were real "thud buckets" every time I heard them. Not so here.

I never really trust speakers with drive units that don't directly face you or fire at least directly at you at the listening position in some way, shape or form.

The 212/SE is seriously dynamic. Hugely impressive over a short period of time. The real question I would have with it is "can you cope with it?".

In the small system I heard the Pursuit in, pictured below, the system was running in two channel hi-fi mode. This all metal driver system, like other cone metal based driver systems I have heard in the past, can exert serious control over the air in a room.

The fact that I heard this in 2015 and still remember it well shows it was impressive. Very good value for money if you like high SPLs and want to move serious air with copious amounts of bass. OK it doesn't look very high end, and I guess it wasn't, but I heard better dynamics in there than the very vast majority of systems can manage.

A stack of 6 25s I predict will be awesome, but ONLY if your in the mood for the impending assault. Otherwise, switch them off!!!

The small room means that in larger ones you'd need to scale up the subs to get a similar effect. So a huge brace of 25s could well be in ticket in your room Ron, paired with the Gryphons.

EDIT: just discovered the 25 uses carbon fibre drive units. As a result I don't think it'll sound quite the same. Wasted post, maybe... but if the Pendragon towers use carbon fibre units the 25 might be a great match. I'm a big fan of using the same driver material over as much of the FR as possible.

Attachments

• dsc01617-qpr.jpg
    dsc01617-qpr.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I have a pair of 212SE's in our listening room, I am more than impressed. You cannot tell there are subs on until there are bass notes present and a few simultaneous bass lines are a revelation. Although the 212SE subs (2 active/2 passive 12"/1000watt amps) deliver power and authority in the bass region, which changes for the better the soundstage, the depth, the midrange and even the high end, I am most impressed with the bass note nuances, harmonics, decay and texture.

I am thinking of putting the 25 six pack in, but I don't want to mess with the one pair of 212SE's as the sound is so good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing