MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Thanks, that was helpful.

Unlike some responses in that thread, I have seen (heard, and measured) problems with magnetized heads.

The most dangerous thing you can do is to turn on/off the demagnetizer near the heads -- all the advice/articles about stepping back, turning it on, bringing it in to do the work, then stepping back before turning it off is spot-on.

Reactions: DexterMiller

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Unlike some responses in that thread, I have seen (heard, and measured) problems with magnetized heads.

The most dangerous thing you can do is to turn on/off the demagnetizer near the heads -- all the advice/articles about stepping back, turning it on, bringing it in to do the work, then stepping back before turning it off is spot-on.

+1 :)

DexterMiller

Jan 20, 2019
New Jersey (U.S.)
The tapes pre-dating (around) 1973 have lasted an awful lot longer in playable condition (save, of course, for acetate ones which have curled from being in damp or hot storage at some point in their life). Oldest reel I have is: the 1956 RCA 2-track of Symphonie Fantastique with Munch and the BSO ("GCS-6"). I got it (only) five years-ago; so, I'm not sure if the hiss level was ever any drastically less (it, probably, had to have been...just from taking age into account) but: the box had never been damaged and the pack was uniformly rewound. All I can say is, that, the 2-track RCAs have a more mellow sound vs. the 2-track Westminsters; Mercury "Verified Stereophonic"; or the Capitol "Z" catalog -to me- seem to have.

Out of the same flea market find: were a bunch of never-been-used, 1200" Scotch 111's from 1960 (the kind with the somewhat eerie-looking cover of the b/w band photo draped in blood red!). They really need a LOT of pre-emphasis if they're not recorded at 15; however, the quality was still virtually like they were brand new.

Many place a premium on the '50s two-trackers in the pre-recorded market, though...you want to know something imperative regarding the preservation of THE LATE-ERA (1972-1977) 7 1/2 QUARTER TRACKS(?); under the names "Magtec" and "Stereotape". They released a lot of RARE ROCK at 7 1/2 (six Bowie albums/Lou Reed/Elvis/Elton John/Allman Brothers/Fleetwood Mac/etc.) once Ampex departed for only cassette and 8-track (before giving it all up in 1975). However, Magtec/"Stereotape" stock was not duplicated on the (earlier) burnt orange color -and generally trouble free- oxide like the majority of pre-recorded reels had been before that. It's not backcoated SSS formula either...but: it is a dark greyish color base which is now exhibiting a tendency to have dropouts and squeal. A shame for collectors wanting to have had the best possible (vintage) source of such famous albums.

cupboy

Mar 1, 2019
The tapes pre-dating (around) 1973 have lasted an awful lot longer in playable condition (save, of course, for acetate ones which have curled from being in damp or hot storage at some point in their life). Oldest reel I have is: the 1956 RCA 2-track of Symphonie Fantastique with Munch and the BSO ("GCS-6"). I got it (only) five years-ago; so, I'm not sure if the hiss level was ever any drastically less (it, probably, had to have been...just from taking age into account) but: the box had never been damaged and the pack was uniformly rewound. All I can say is, that, the 2-track RCAs have a more mellow sound vs. the 2-track Westminsters; Mercury "Verified Stereophonic"; or the Capitol "Z" catalog -to me- seem to have.

Out of the same flea market find: were a bunch of never-been-used, 1200" Scotch 111's from 1960 (the kind with the somewhat eerie-looking cover of the b/w band photo draped in blood red!). They really need a LOT of pre-emphasis if they're not recorded at 15; however, the quality was still virtually like they were brand new.

Many place a premium on the '50s two-trackers in the pre-recorded market, though...you want to know something imperative regarding the preservation of THE LATE-ERA (1972-1977) 7 1/2 QUARTER TRACKS(?); under the names "Magtec" and "Stereotape". They released a lot of RARE ROCK at 7 1/2 (six Bowie albums/Lou Reed/Elvis/Elton John/Allman Brothers/Fleetwood Mac/etc.) once Ampex departed for only cassette and 8-track (before giving it all up in 1975). However, Magtec/"Stereotape" stock was not duplicated on the (earlier) burnt orange color -and generally trouble free- oxide like the majority of pre-recorded reels had been before that. It's not backcoated SSS formula either...but: it is a dark greyish color base which is now exhibiting a tendency to have dropouts and squeal. A shame for collectors wanting to have had the best possible (vintage) source of such famous albums.

That dark gray tape is 3M 177. It's fine unless it gets subjected to harsh environmental conditions, like being stored in a non-climate-controlled storage unit, car trunks, sheds or garages.

By the way does anyone have a Stereotape catalog from around 1972 or so? I threw mine out years ago but would be curious to look through one now. Maybe someone has converted it to a PDF.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing