Record Racks

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
The key to my storage system was two fold; having the material professionally cut so it was absolutely square and knowing where to source the materials for big savings. I was involved in the plywood industry for a number of years so it was easy for me.

They may not be the most beautiful, but they are highly functional I feel.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS

A slightly older pic of my shelves (last year); I'm almost out of space at this point. I've posted it before, so please excuse the redundancy.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Very nice Felix!:D

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Keep the suggestions coming...there's no more room at the inn at my house, so I'm interested in what folks are using.

Rack.jpg

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
A slightly older pic of my shelves (last year); I'm almost out of space at this point. I've posted it before, so please excuse the redundancy.

Felix-That's beautiful bro. Clean, elegant, and organized. I love it.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I got the top Billy Bags record rack about 20 years ago. Second about 5 years ago and the bottom one came a couple of weeks ago.
They are very durable and the fact you can get similar looking pieces 20 years later is a real positive. The 20 year old rack looks as good as the one I got 2 weeks ago.

View attachment 10498 View attachment 10499 View attachment 10500

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Nice Frank, I have 3 billy bags 1000 cd racks, not that the music get's much use these days. I like Bolz racks for my LP's as they are expandable much like all the others to a degree. I have 2, 3 shelf and 2, 4 shelf Bolz racks right now. I will need another expander kit to turn the 2, 3 shelf units into 4. I'm almost done buying records....lol

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Nice Frank, I have 3 billy bags 1000 cd racks, not that the music get's much use these days. I like Bolz racks for my LP's as they are expandable much like all the others to a degree. I have 2, 3 shelf and 2, 4 shelf Bolz racks right now. I will need another expander kit to turn the 2, 3 shelf units into 4. I'm almost done buying records....lol

I have a couple of the Billy Bags CD racks too.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Here is my collection from left Speaker, around the room to right Speaker. The first four shots are using my Per Madsen racks. I was one of Per's first customers, when he was working out of a small garage. I have 114 of the racks. The last shot uses the Ikea Beste bookcases. Very sturdy - I bought the ones that are single width to provide better support. Absolutely no sag and they provide five levels of records. Total cost for the four cases was slightly over $400 - each of the four cases holds 110 linear inches of records, about 750 records or 3000 records for $400. The black straps are for earthquakes. All of the cases are attached to the wall studs with anchor straps. About 97% of the records are classical. There are close to 15,000 records in the room. You can see four of my 5 Avantgarde speakers, all but the center channel.

Larry

Records 1.jpg Records 2.jpg Records 3.jpg Records 4.jpg Records 5.jpg

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Larry, so impressive! I love the (earthquake) straps. Never seen that before.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Larry, so impressive! I love the (earthquake) straps. Never seen that before.

Can't say that I love the earthquake straps myself, but I understand why they are there just as I do iron bars on windows and doors in homes that are located in "bad" neighborhoods.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Can't say that I love the earthquake straps myself, but I understand why they are there just as I do iron bars on windows and doors in homes that are located in "bad" neighborhoods.

Sure, it's a consequence of the environment. Personally, I love that one's passion is so strong that he doesn't mind putting straps on the shelves in home. Seeing just how many shelves are there brings the idea to an even higher order of magnitude.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Sure, it's a consequence of the environment. Personally, I love that one's passion is so strong that he doesn't mind putting straps on the shelves in home. Seeing just how many shelves are there brings the idea to an even higher order of magnitude.

Imagining all of those LPs being shook to the floor during an earthquake is another whole vision.

Jim Treanor

Jun 30, 2013
Pacific Northwest
I wanted flexibility, expandability, ease of mobility if needed, and relatively cheap, so I put together these poplar stackable modules:

record_module.JPG
record_module_2.jpg
record_module_3.jpg

With LP's installed, they're rock stable to at least five units high (which is as high as I can reasonably read the spines).

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Here is my collection from left Speaker, around the room to right Speaker...

forget the record racks check out the LPs! i see lots of EMI classical record spines [sigh] you must have some collection congrats and enjoy in good health:b

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Aren't the earthquake straps in case you play those horns too loud?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
forget the record racks check out the LPs! i see lots of EMI classical record spines [sigh] you must have some collection congrats and enjoy in good health:b

Yes, I do have a lot of EMI's and Decca's, too. The third picture shows my EMI collection which is 30 racks - everything on that picture except the top row all the way across and the last column to the right. There are also some EMI's in the first picture, which are in my TAS Super Disc collection - finally complete. The second picture and some of the first show my Decca collection, about the same size as the EMI collection.

Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing