Record Cleaning Machines

thats my point i dont want it to dry the LP, clean only. when i clean LPs i carve out an afternnon and do 30, 40 or more LPs at a time and use a vacuum RCM and by hand. i anticipate using an Ultrasonic machine as the first step and final rinse/vac dry on my RCM.

any ultrasonic machine in development for LP cleaning should consider the thousands of RCMs already in use with vacuum drying capability, i see ultrasonic as adjunct not a replacement for vac dry machines.
Puro- I dunno, i kinda like the 'untouched by human hands' drying of the US machines, having lived with vacuum lips for a long time, worries about contamination, not only from the vacuum tube, but cross contamination from fluid to fluid, and also the platter (I gather with a Nitty, you don't worry about platter contamination). Sure, the Monks and progeny (Loricraft) eliminate much of that concern, but using multiple fluids, with a far greater expenditure of time.
It's still early days for me, so I'm not trying to sell you or rationalize my purchase, but I cleaned 12 records and listened to a side of each last night, and enjoyed every moment- even the cleaning process, which was effortless -and the sonic improvement over old VPI (perhaps not a fair comparison for those who already have better conventional RCMs) was dramatic.

Last edited:
thats my point i dont want it to dry the LP, clean only. when i clean LPs i carve out an afternnon and do 30, 40 or more LPs at a time and use a vacuum RCM and by hand. i anticipate using an Ultrasonic machine as the first step and final rinse/vac dry on my RCM.

any ultrasonic machine in development for LP cleaning should consider the thousands of RCMs already in use with vacuum drying capability, i see ultrasonic as adjunct not a replacement for vac dry machines.

the problem with your vaccum rcm for drying, it leaves some static. No way to avoid it.

the problem with your vaccum rcm for drying, it leaves some static. No way to avoid it.

I use the Nitty Gritty 2.5Fi-XP with the double Dispenser.I replaced my Zerostat with the rechargeable DeStat 2 and you can say goodbye to static.I now use it after the Vac Dry and before play when needed.
Stump

Dispense.jpg

In the end, it seems all can agree that the two (currently) available commercial ultrasonic RCMs achieve (if not succeed) at set-and-forget convenience. When it comes to performance, however, like all things in our hobby - one must cast a value judgement. As soon as we must do that, we are all hardwired with the potential for disagreement. So, pick your poison. If it works for you - you win. Outside validation will feel reasuringly gratifying - but reliably inconsistent from post to post. Wine helps.

In the end, it seems all can agree that the two (currently) available commercial ultrasonic RCMs achieve (if not succeed) at set-and-forget convenience. When it comes to performance, however, like all things in our hobby - one must cast a value judgement. As soon as we must do that, we are all hardwired with the potential for disagreement. So, pick your poison. If it works for you - you win. Outside validation will feel reasuringly gratifying - but reliably inconsistent from post to post. Wine helps.
Ah, but then we would have to agree on the wine- California, or something earthy from Burgundy; perhaps a more robust Bordeaux? Vintage? Which house? Preferred importer? What were the conditions of storage? (Surely you are not going to drink a young wine). Etc. :)
PS: I don't drink, haven't for nearly 3 decades, but spent many memorable days and evenings in Beaune, France.

Ah, but then we would have to agree on the wine- California, or something earthy from Burgundy; perhaps a more robust Bordeaux? Vintage? Which house? Preferred importer? What were the conditions of storage? (Surely you are not going to drink a young wine). Etc. :)
PS: I don't drink, haven't for nearly 3 decades, but spent many memorable days and evenings in Beaune, France.

Exactement!

Bordeaux - perhaps something from Ch. Doisy-Dane (sp?). If we are going to drink something young, maybe the Super Tuscan that my wife and I and a couple of friends made a barrel of last year. Really coming into it's own right now. A good daily drinker. Finish the evening with an '83 Y'quem, or an eiswine from the Niagara Peninsula.

static, schmatic...whatever, i really dont have the problem:rolleyes:

Neither do I.

LPs that have real nasty static out of the sleeve are ones pressed at Pallas. Cleaning them on the VPI gets rid of it entirely.

If y'all had cats, ya would notice the static in a NY minute! :)

We have cats but they are locked out of the music room. If not, the boy cat would be sitting on top of the turntable!

I've actually trained our three cats not to sit on the TT, but as you well know, it took a great deal of perseverance. Now, the 75lb Pitbulls bumping into the rack at full speed is another story, altogether.

Not to demean any of these DIY efforts, but I could see a sort of Rube Goldberg, steam punk style machine. In my vision, it would, in fact, be steam powered, and have a release cap that also does steam cleaning as part of the process. Then a belt or gear driven rack that sloooowly takes it through some sort of archaic drying system. Mounted on a varnished wood plinth, and made of cast iron parts.

last night i cleaned 15 Lps on the Klaudio, and another 7-8 on the Audio Desk. this was while i was listening in about 90 minutes.

both machines are simply so easy to use and all the Lps came out perfectly dry and clean. some were very thin pressings....nary a drop of water.

i'm still trying to hear a difference. i think that the Klaudio reveals a touch more clarity....like a slight bit of cleaner window. when i clean a previously Audio Desk cleaned Lp with the Klaudio i 'think' i get a bit more mid and upper octave openness.

these are small changes, but consistent. i like that nothing touches the Lp except distilled water.

anyway, there is an update for you all.

last night i cleaned 15 Lps on the Klaudio, and another 7-8 on the Audio Desk. this was while i was listening in about 90 minutes.

both machines are simply so easy to use and all the Lps came out perfectly dry and clean. some were very thin pressings....nary a drop of water.

i'm still trying to hear a difference. i think that the Klaudio reveals a touch more clarity....like a slight bit of cleaner window. when i clean a previously Audio Desk cleaned Lp with the Klaudio i 'think' i get a bit more mid and upper octave openness.

these are small changes, but consistent. i like that nothing touches the Lp except distilled water.

anyway, there is an update for you all.

Mike, I've been using the Audio Desk for a while. The Audio Desk is my dealer's demo. He's now a dealer for Klaudio as well and has given me a choice of either the Audio Desk or the Klaudio. Which would you choose?

Not to demean any of these DIY efforts, but I could see a sort of Rube Goldberg, steam punk style machine. In my vision, it would, in fact, be steam powered, and have a release cap that also does steam cleaning as part of the process. Then a belt or gear driven rack that sloooowly takes it through some sort of archaic drying system. Mounted on a varnished wood plinth, and made of cast iron parts.

the price is right and theres probably little that will go wrong you cant fix yourself. the suitable lab-grade ultrasonic cleaner is about $600 plus a cobbled together rotisserie motor with some bits here and there and its customizable. The DIY machine may even be more capable, can you heat the AD or KL to 45c and extend the cleaning time to 15, 20 mins plus?

for the anal 'phile that cleans each LP before every listening session any DIY machine will seem like a contraption, I'm a wet clean only once kinda guy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing