Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Steve, I'm sure what you meant to say was 'I've not heard a great sounding solid state preamp....yet'....right?

Right. I guess I need to design one....

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am using the GG into the Constellation Virgo II into a Berning ZOTL40 with great results. (...)

I hosted the Virgo III in my system and can easily second your recommendation - surely a reference SS preamplifier.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
There are no great SS preamps IMO. Get good tubes if you can afford them, class-A operation if possible.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

..and there you have it

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The first one is what the US distro of Berning uses and recommends with the Berning.

That is also Garykoh's favorite.

If we are talking about this kind of money then the VRE-1C would be the pick. They offer a silver wired version for big bucks.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
The Trinity pre amp will be a good match with the Quad Z. Maintaining the same purity and speed .

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Thanks for the ideas guys - I'll report back.

Also have a Nagra Jazz on demo at the moment.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I’m a dealer so take this as you will, but the Hegel P30 competes with any SS preamp I’ve heard.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I’m a dealer so take this as you will, but the Hegel P30 competes with any SS preamp I’ve heard.

Heihei, the Hegel is one that I also thought you might want to try. I was mighty impressed with their DAC/Pre in a shootout that we just hosted at our factory. We had the TotalDAC and the Lampizator on hand so it wasn’t going up against light weights.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Several years ago, 2 friends and I went to hear Rockport speakers with Hegel and Constellation gear. The Constellation amp did not sound right on the speakers while the Hegel was wonderful.

I have to say that the Constellation preamp on the Hegel H30 was a glorious combination. The Hegel P30 on either amp was not good to our ears.

Just my 2 cents. So a trial is necessary whatever you are looking for in your system.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Several years ago, 2 friends and I went to hear Rockport speakers with Hegel and Constellation gear. The Constellation amp did not sound right on the speakers while the Hegel was wonderful.

I have to say that the Constellation preamp on the Hegel H30 was a glorious combination. The Hegel P30 on either amp was not good to our ears.

Just my 2 cents. So a trial is necessary whatever you are looking for in your system.

Just a point: The latest gen of Constellation is significantly better than just couple years ago.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just a point: The latest gen of Constellation is significantly better than just couple years ago.

A lot better indeed ... I hosted recently in my listening room the Centaur II and Virgo III for a week, and I am still recovering from it.

Previous experiences with the old lines of Constellation Audio have shown a very large difference between the Centaur I/Virgo I and the Hercules/Altair line - enough to put me away from Constellation Audio, as Hercules/Altair was insanely expensive. But now the gap seems narrower.

BTW, I had both the Virgo II and III - and again the III was better, more fluid and less imposing, more "tube like" in the sense of the cj GAT, for example, than the II.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Audioquattir recently compared the Alieno hybrid OTL with the Constellation Hercules II and chose the Alieno for his Magico M3. He likes his Dagostino Momentum 300 enough to keep it alongside and not sell it. He uses the Dagostino pre, so will be good to take his opinion as well.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Audioquattir recently compared the Alieno hybrid OTL with the Constellation Hercules II and chose the Alieno for his Magico M3. He likes his Dagostino Momentum 300 enough to keep it alongside and not sell it. He uses the Dagostino pre, so will be good to take his opinion as well.

Did you listen to Audioquattir - sorry, I never heard about him - system comparing these amplifiers?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Did you listen to Audioquattir - sorry, I never heard about him - system comparing these amplifiers?

Yes, last weekend, with his Feickert. My flight was delayed by 3 hours so could compare only on analog. Will go back to compare on digital. Will write in more detail after that.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, last weekend, with his Feickert. My flight was delayed by 3 hours so could compare only on analog. Will go back to compare on digital. Will write in more detail after that.

What was the preamplifier used with the Hercules II?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What was the preamplifier used with the Hercules II?

Not sure, you can PM him. I just compared Alieno to dagostino with the dag pre.

His id is audioquattr

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
A lot better indeed ... I hosted recently in my listening room the Centaur II and Virgo III for a week, and I am still recovering from it.

Previous experiences with the old lines of Constellation Audio have shown a very large difference between the Centaur I/Virgo I and the Hercules/Altair line - enough to put me away from Constellation Audio, as Hercules/Altair was insanely expensive. But now the gap seems narrower.

BTW, I had both the Virgo II and III - and again the III was better, more fluid and less imposing, more "tube like" in the sense of the cj GAT, for example, than the II.

Ditto, what he just said.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing