Reason as to why our site and countless others were down last night

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You can spoof your source address to be anything if you’re simply doing a DoS attack. Blocking entire countries won’t solve anything. So, what kind of attack was it exactly?

Not something that I want to discuss here because of lack of complete understanding but even if I did, I feel an online discussion of what happened is not a good thing

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This is from early this morning, some HK members are still having difficulty logging on, is the block removed or still in process?

ddk

jonyung

Sep 22, 2014
Not something that I want to discuss here because of lack of complete understanding but even if I did, I feel an online discussion of what happened is not a good thing

Dear Steve

Thank you so much for your consideration for Hong Kong users. I have been reading alot of the highly useful threads in whatsbestforum over the last few years.
In fact, I have not been able to get into whatsbestforum for a week, NEVER have I ever thought this could happen to Hong Kong.
If we could be of help financially as initiated by Mike, please let us know.

Many Thanks

jonyung

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dear Steve

Thank you so much for your consideration for Hong Kong users. I have been reading alot of the highly useful threads in whatsbestforum over the last few years.
In fact, I have not been able to get into whatsbestforum for a week, NEVER have I ever thought this could happen to Hong Kong.
If we could be of help financially as initiated by Mike, please let us know.

Many Thanks

jonyung
I guess the block is removed.
david

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Funny. My phone couldn't get through nor my computer. Now my phone works but my computer is still unable to access. May be i need to re-boot the computer...

Steve Williams

Howie

you shouldn't need your VPN now

we are still having a difficult time getting adyc back on WBF as his IP address at home although not blocked and recently white listed by our ISP in order to get him back on WBF has proved unsuccessful and we have no idea why

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Thanks Steve,

It’s still a bit sporadic. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. I think I’ll leave it on until the dust settles. Thanks again for your assistance and personal touch.

P.s. tried to post the above message on my iPad with the VPN off. no go :(

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dear Steve and all WBF brothers,

My heartfelt thanks to all of you, for your kind words and support!

And particularly to Steve : thanks so much for your very kind help!
Pls ping me when you visit HK. I own you a meal!
:D

Good to see you! :)

Reactions: CKKeung

Steve Williams

I have sent the following message to several of our Hong Kong members who still can’t gain access. Howie can you send this message to your friends who are still having problems

Hello,
Per our conversation over the phone we went over this as the IP might be coming in as a Chinese IP.
But with that said I have flushed all the blocks for all IP's on the server.
Just in case it was blocked.
Please have them try again.
If this doesnt work we will unblock China and then you can have them try.
If then that works we have to go to the next option of running your site on a VPS or set it up to go through our DDoS firewall or you can get your own DDoS account somewhere else.
Please ask your clients now and let us know.​

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello Steve,
My android phone, office desktop and home desktop got diff local HK network providers.

I can connect to WBF only via my android phone.

I met TLi earlier this week at our audiophile gatherings and I also asked QuadDiffusor yesterday about their WBF connections.
Both said that they still couldn't connect to WBF.
Both of them are using NOT my android phone network provider.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Post your IPs which don’t work. The geo IP data can be queried. Maybe these networks are not in the geo IP databases and the hosting provider of WBF is blocking networks with no location?

djsina2

May 30, 2019
There are other ways to get your location data too, one being from your browser. You can open the developer console and manually set your location to anywhere. Google the steps for the browser you’re using.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing