R.I.P. Jim Winey

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Had a pair of white 1.6 QRs way back when. Great speakers that are being enjoyed to this day by my friend who bought them from me.

Rest in Peace Jim.

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I remember walking into a stereo store in St. Louis when it was a slow day. The owner took me into a dark shoebox shaped room and said listen to this. A pair of the oddest looking speakers I'd ever seen - large rectangular panels maybe two inches deep. He played a record. From between those panels emerged Ella Fitzgerald almost big as life, extremely realistic with a drop-dead gorgeous voice. A week later I traded-in my Bose 901s for a pair of Magnepan 1.5s (?) and a DH-500 Hafler amplifier kit. My first "high-end" speakers were Maggies. Thank you Jim Winey, rest in peace.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Maggies' mantra was "if you hear the Magnepan you will buy the Magnepan."
I listened to them playing a familiar Bob Marley recording. I purchased them on the spot. My first highend speaker.

Bbock

Apr 11, 2022
Illinois
Sad day. RIP Jim. I really enjoyed my Magnepans when I owned them and have wonderful remembrances of listening to the evolving lineup over the years.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Very sad day … I had a pair of Maggie’s for many years and really enjoyed them. He was a pioneer in our hobby for sure. RIP Jim!

George

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
My first taste of the "high end" was a pair of MG IIIa.

RIP

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Me, too. I bought a pair of 2167-F's which later morphed into the MGII's, way back in the late '70s. First pair of high end speakers. Three years later after our first child was born and about a year old, I heard a crash and she had pulled herself to stand up using one of the Maggies and it toppled over. They were in the paper for sale ads within a couple of days. Sorry to see them go. Larry

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
MG-IIIAs were my first loudspeakers.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Jim Winey championed a more affordable high end and gave many audiophiles and music lovers access to a sound that made instruments like a concert grand virtually come to life in your lounge room… it can be such a surprising and transformational moment when you hear your first really good panel speaker. There is something fundamentally authentic in the ethos of a design approach to bring a level of greatness to the less than stratospheric end of this hobby. Rest in Peace Jim Winey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bbock

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
I was his National Sales Manager in the late 70s. Jim was a fine man and he was on a good-hearted mission to help audiophiles enjoy their music at a higher level, but at a more affordable price than many high-end audio loudspeakers.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I was his National Sales Manager in the late 70s. Jim was a fine man and he was on a good-hearted mission to help audiophiles enjoy their music at a higher level, but at a more affordable price than many high-end audio loudspeakers.

I don't know if he had anything to do with the 30.7 speaker, but it destroys 99.9 of speakers I have heard when in a proper room... the audio research thing I don't get however.... most of their products are leaner than a 14 year old anorexic model, more bleached than an albino bleaching his skin, and as much jump factor with a maggie (and most box speakers I have experienced) than a wheel chair basketball playyer

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I just saw this. A lovely tribute by Frank Doris

There are some audio experiences you never forget.
I will never forget my first Magnepan experience. It was in 1971 at Paul Heath Audio in Rochester NY. The Tympani I (U) were set up with all ARC gear (SP3 and D75) playing Switched on Bach and I was smitten forever. I begged Paul Heath to let me work in his store part time (I was a student at Univ Rochester) and receive credit rather than cash so I could buy that system at dealer pricing. He agreed and my life long journey as an audiophile took flight. When Wendell Diller came into the store in '73 he bet me a dinner that the speakers and both pieces of ARC gear would receive the top rating by HP in the next edition of TAS. They did not. He lost the bet and I reminded him that he owed me a dinner for the next 50 years. He still hasn't paid up but he was always kind, friendly and helpful. (Wendell, even Chick-Fil-A would be fine. Ha!)

What a monumental accomplishment, those Maggies! Not everyone gets to change their field essentially overnight. Thank you, Jim, for countless hours of musical joy.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
LMAO My experience almost identical:

In 75 I was off to Grad school on a full R,B,T scholarship. So what did I do? Took out a student loan and bought some gear:
Tympani 1C's (maybe D's) ,SP3A, and a Quatre Gain Cell amp, all from Stereo Emporium in Buffalo,NY. Maybe in the Spring of 76 I bought a D75, upgraded to D76 specs from Paul Heath to replace the Quatre. Later, working part time at an audio store in Syracuse, I reached out to Magnapan to bring their speakers in to the store. Low and behold one afternoon Wendell Diller walks into the store unannounced! Dinner that night (he drank cheap wine!) which was sort of an interview and we were Magnapan dealers....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing