Quality Record Pressings

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
In case anyone missed it, there's a great article by Michael Fremer on Chad Kassems new Quality Record Pressing project in the latest issue of Stereophile. It'll be interesting to see if all the mods they've incorporated into the presses, translate into better sound. On paper, some sound like they have real promise.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I read the article. I 'm still waiting for their Cat Steven's LP to show up. I ordered it months ago and the release date keeps slipping so it appears they are still working some bugs out.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I read the article. I 'm still waiting for their Cat Steven's LP to show up. I ordered it months ago and the release date keeps slipping so it appears they are still working some bugs out.
I remember as a youngie when the Cat's LPs were regarded as the cat's meow :D for recording quality. Are those original Island pressings still considered special or was that just a fad of the moment?

Frank

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I remember as a youngie when the Cat's LPs were regarded as the cat's meow :D for recording quality. Are those original Island pressings still considered special or was that just a fad of the moment?

Frank

Though the sound varies from cut to cut, the original Island pressings are the ones to have. The most disappointing pressing were the ones mastered by Tim de P back in it was either late '90s or early 2000s. Had high hopes and just didn't cut the mustard. Oh and the A&Ms pale next to the early Island.

Oh and to see what an original pressing of DSOTM goes for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PINK-FLOYD-DARK-SIDE-MOON-UK-FIRST-PRESS-LP-1973-/300579260875?pt=UK_Records&hash=item45fbeb89cb

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles-That is his opening bid price and no one has submitted a bid yet. It may never sell for that price. I could put up my ARC PH-3SE on ebay and set my opening bid at $10K if I wanted to. However, I haven't been tracking prices on original EMI copies of DSOTM to see what they are going for and maybe it's realistic.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles-That is his opening bid price and no one has submitted a bid yet. It may never sell for that price. I could put up my ARC PH-3SE on ebay and set my opening bid at $10K if I wanted to. However, I haven't been tracking prices on original EMI copies of DSOTM to see what they are going for and maybe it's realistic.

I don't know either but first pressings are rare and do go for big bucks. I've heard of 3-400 bucks.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I don't know either but first pressings are rare and do go for big bucks. I've heard of 3-400 bucks.

i guess i'll settle for my UHQR pressing and low-gen 15ips master dub.

i did read Fremer's article and appreciate that Chad has put to work all that money he made on all the 45rpm reissues....it took lots of vinyl business to be able to underwrite that effort. don't mis-understand, i appreciate Chad's efforts.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
i guess i'll settle for my UHQR pressing and low-gen 15ips master dub.

i did read Fremer's article and appreciate that Chad has put to work all that money he made on all the 45rpm reissues....it took lots of vinyl business to be able to underwrite that effort. don't mis-understand, i appreciate Chad's efforts.

Yes Chad has come a long way :) His next move may be buying the town of Salinas :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Maybe he could consider reducing his ridiculous shipping rates to outside of the U.S. and minimum order restriction.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Maybe he could consider reducing his ridiculous shipping rates to outside of the U.S. and minimum order restriction.

Works both ways. Int. shipping rates suck. I've given up mostly buying from Europe, esp. Holland, where the shipping rates are ridiculous. But I have the same complaint when I buy used LPs from Canadian dealers :(

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Works both ways. Int. shipping rates suck. I've given up mostly buying from Europe, esp. Holland, where the shipping rates are ridiculous. But I have the same complaint when I buy used LPs from Canadian dealers :(

Fair enough, and yes, other than Amazon UK (from where I've bought quite a bit of vinyl through the years), those rates are insane as well. It's just frustrating as a collector and music fan, and I know you know of what I speak!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I spent around hour with Fremer and Chris Sommovigo and Todd Garfinkle at the bar at AXPONA this year. He was really jazzed about the quality of the pressings including the vibration control on the pressing machine. I am quite interested in hearing the Cat Stevens. I have some minty WLPs of these albums that sound amazing but I suspect these could top them.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I spent around hour with Fremer and Chris Sommovigo and Todd Garfinkle at the bar at AXPONA this year. He was really jazzed about the quality of the pressings including the vibration control on the pressing machine. I am quite interested in hearing the Cat Stevens. I have some minty WLPs of these albums that sound amazing but I suspect these could top them.

Now here's my question. MF reviewed a test pressing of the Cat Stevens, yet the production version is still awaiting. There's obviously some issues to be ironed out but will the production version be better or worse than the test pressing that was reviewed?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Now here's my question. MF reviewed a test pressing of the Cat Stevens, yet the production version is still awaiting. There's obviously some issues to be ironed out but will the production version be better or worse than the test pressing that was reviewed?

Great question. I would hope at least as good given the quality control they seem to have.

class a

Jul 10, 2011
Just picked up the Cat Stevens vinyl. Took it for a spin on my 26yr. old Linn Sondek LP12 and SQ wise it's a A+. Quiet, dynamic the best recording of this album that I ever had. A reference recording.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I received my copy a few days ago: damn fine it is!

I do wonder, though, why it isn't a 45 RPM job, or why it's not pressed on Clarity vinyl (given that Chad bought all the appropriate stuff from Classic Records last year)...

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The Muddy Waters' "Folk Singer" 45 rpm pressing is excellent! Kudo to Chad and QRP

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The Muddy Waters' "Folk Singer" 45 rpm pressing is excellent! Kudo to Chad and QRP

I got a quick chance to listen before heading out on vacation. I like that Chad minimized the time per side, eg. only using the first couple of inches of the record, thus optimizing the sound of the 45 rpm.

I didn't have time to compare to the reissues to the originals but if memory serves me right, the Muddy Waters sounded better than either of the 3 pressings that I have. The Cat Stevens sounded great, and as someone pointed out, very dynamic and less compressed eg. less limiting and its product, congestion.

The Freddie King was also very good but though the Gentle Ben was the best!

Like Rich, I did wonder why Chad didn't remaster Cat Stevens at 45 rpm. Maybe he thought the Cat Stevens wouldn't sell at $50 and the Muddy Waters, being an audiophile fave, could command $50?

class a

Jul 10, 2011
If you can find a copy Mel Torme and Friends: Recorded Live At Martys, New York City. Off the Finesse Record label. His duet w/Janis Ian Silly Habits is a real showstopper. The SQ makes you feel that your right in the room.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I guess I got the one lemon for the Cat Stevens LP. Mine has rumble you can hear on side 1, cut 1. I have lots of LPs that impress me-this one not so much.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing