QSA Jitter Plugs

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Have you ever seen a UL label on a audiophile power cord? I have not.
Companies fly under the radar all the time with products that are technically not fully compliant with laws and regulations.
I bet a lot of amps, preamps, digital devices etc don't have a UL label either. Non of my stuff does. I just looked. They may use tested and listed materials inside, but they are not UL tested as an assembly and are therefore not meeting all codes and regulations. So why get so worked up over a fuse.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
Have you ever seen a UL label on a audiophile power cord? I have not.
Companies fly under the radar all the time with products that are technically not fully compliant with laws and regulations.
I bet a lot of amps, preamps, digital devices etc don't have a UL label either. Non of my stuff does. I just looked. They may use tested and listed materials inside, but they are not UL tested as an assembly and are therefore not meeting all codes and regulations. So why get so worked up over a fuse.
This is rather different.

In the UK safety plugs and fuses are covered by specific legislation and extremely well-known legislation. No one with half a brain would use a fuse that wasn't BS1362 compliant or a plug or socket that wasn't BS1363 compliant.

It is also illegal to sell a product knowing it does not comply with this legislation and the law also requires importers and distributors to report to the authorities any products they know not to be compliant (so no one else sells them).

This applies to safety devices, basically plugs and 13A fuses. Fututech made non-compliant plugs and had to withdraw them. They now all comply and it's not that difficult. 13A fuses are much harder to comply and have to be mass produced so that they can be made consistently within tight tolerances.

The basic principle is to prevent the plug or cable overheating, which is dangerous and can result in a fire. The fuse rating is based on the cable, so for a 13A fuse the cable has to be at least 1.25mm2. It has nothing to do with the appliance.

There are some 13A audiophile fuses, the most popular is from Russ Andrews. The cost about $150 for a pack of 5. They explain the situation perfectly:

Screenshot 2023-10-18 at 00.48.42.png

QSA seem to be doing a burn-in process, which others have reported being popular in the Hong Kong audiophile community.

I've been involved with insurance losses from electrical fires in excess of $100m caused by a faulty light bulb. I wouldn't use an audiophile mains fuse simply because it would invalidate my house insurance. I wouldn't trust anyone selling them either.

This is completely different from, for example, a 2A component fuse. It is not a safety device, it is a device to protect the device circuity.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Do you think anything is different in the USA?

Reactions: ssfas

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
Do you think anything is different in the USA?
From what I understand in the USA you don’t use fused plugs, you don’t have one national set of regulations covered by federal regulation. Here we have unified regulations and every installation should be certified and those certificates are filed online. Everything is checked. I even had national inspectors come and check my electrician’s work. I read online that people in the USA do their own wiring. Here, even people who do a home build get certified electriCal work, you don’t actually have a choice.

If you do any building work here that requires approval by the local authority, they have what’s called “building control” who send inspectors to check the work is done to specification. To get a final certificate of approval, they require gas and electrical certificates. If you don’t have a final certificate, you will have insurance issues if something goes wrong.

In my installation, completely new from the external cable running under the road outside, there are 5 or 6 fuses or breakers before you get to the wall socket/receptacle. The first fuse is sealed and cannot be touched by anyone other than national network engineers. The next 3 or 4 are for professional servicing and the actual homeowner only gets to flick switches in the consumer unit.

So after the hard wiring to the wall we have laws relating to the plug and fuse, dependent on the cable. There are then separate laws and regulations relating to the safety of appliances.

So from the consumer’s perspective, it is the receptacle, plug and the plug’s 13A fuse that should not be replaced by an uncertified product. The audio brands that make receptacles and plugs ensure they are BS1363 compliant. I have used the same BS1363 compliant Furutech wall receptacle for 10+ years and audiophile plugs. I have never changed a safety fuse and never would.

Russ Andrews make the point well - fuses are very technical devices - and their compliance is based on mass production. This is anathema to audiophiles, who want everything bespoke.

The marketing of fuses is also one of my bugbears. It often rattles on about heating up and resistance. From about 1A up the resistance is negligible and even at rated current the resistance will only change by a nominal amounts.

The complexity of fuses can be seen from the attached:

Littelfuse are widely used. You can see from the spec sheet that a typical 3.15A component cartridge fuse has resistance of about 0.027 ohms. This will not change in use. It is designed to blow at rated current in 5 seconds and will allow 10A to flow for a 1 second.

For these type of products, my perception is either use a product that you can trust is made to specification (Littelfiuse include a chart of what regulations each fuse meets) or just replace the fuse with a copper bar, keep a fire extinguisher handy and unplug after use.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I still don't see why you think it's the wild west over here. Government is plenty far up our butts. Your breaking some law, rule or regulation using anything the government has not put its seal of approval on. As in a NRTL stamp.

Your electrical Compartment are not much different than ours. You have a main outside, a box inside with a couple/few mains with integral AFCI then smaller branch breakers/fuse. So you have a fuse in your equipment cord also. One more safety device. You bond the neutral/ground and earth ground the same. Electricity sees no borders. I assume it does not care the planet your on either.
The fuse in your equipment is protecting the equipment. Its not designed to protect the branch wire. The fuse in a power cord is designed to trip if the cord is crushed and the gauge wire is smaller than the branch behind the wall. In some sense, we fall short in the US with some pretty small 16 awg lamp cord that plugs into a 12 awg/20A protected circuit. If you crush that cord or run it under a carpet and it gets hot, the branch CB may not open. For the most part it will as we have a more sensitivly tuned AFCI on every branch. Your AFCI is in a main with 2 or more branch devices after it. Maybe that is why they want an additional 10 cent fuse in the cord. A 16 awg wire that is crushed and shorted phase to ground will flash, but it will also pass a good 200 amps instant current that should open the circuit breaker or fuse in half a cycle. I say 200A instead of 4000A to 7000A as its probably not a bolted fault and its probably a couple strands that touch and blow apart.

We have a lot less fire, now that pretty much every outlet in your home requires AFCI protection. I usually default to a duel function AFCI/GFCI circuit breaker on every branch wire. The biggest issue is these devices when they fail, generally fail in a position where they wont turn off as required. Technically you are supposed to at a minimum, once a year, exercise every circuit breaker in your panel. But I dont think that does much for the electronics in the CB. It more keeps the contact at the foot from welding itself together over time so the device can't open. If your really concerned about safety. Maybe in the 15 to 20 year range, toss every breaker in your panel and replace them with a new duel function AFCI/GFCI. $67 each at Home Depot.
In Europe, you can also get a AFCI on every branch wire. Eaton is a major supplier in Europe and their products are very good. Of course, your looking for sonics and the CT, smaller gauge tinned wire that passes through the CT in the AFCI device does make a slight veil sound.
And fuses can have a remarkably pronounced sonic impact. I compared Hifi Supreme gold fuses and fuse blocks to SqD QO breakers in Michael Fremers system and the fuse was very audibly different than the circuit breaker. So, now your back too, do you use a 10 cent glass bussman fuse, or one from an esoteric audiophile brand that sounds a whole lot different. And why does it sound different. Hmmmmm.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
I still don't see why you think it's the wild west over here. Government is plenty far up our butts. Your breaking some law, rule or regulation using anything the government has not put its seal of approval on. As in a NRTL stamp.

Your electrical Compartment are not much different than ours. You have a main outside, a box inside with a couple/few mains with integral AFCI then smaller branch breakers/fuse. So you have a fuse in your equipment cord also. One more safety device. You bond the neutral/ground and earth ground the same. Electricity sees no borders. I assume it does not care the planet your on either.
The fuse in your equipment is protecting the equipment. Its not designed to protect the branch wire. The fuse in a power cord is designed to trip if the cord is crushed and the gauge wire is smaller than the branch behind the wall. In some sense, we fall short in the US with some pretty small 16 awg lamp cord that plugs into a 12 awg/20A protected circuit. If you crush that cord or run it under a carpet and it gets hot, the branch CB may not open. For the most part it will as we have a more sensitivly tuned AFCI on every branch. Your AFCI is in a main with 2 or more branch devices after it. Maybe that is why they want an additional 10 cent fuse in the cord. A 16 awg wire that is crushed and shorted phase to ground will flash, but it will also pass a good 200 amps instant current that should open the circuit breaker or fuse in half a cycle. I say 200A instead of 4000A to 7000A as its probably not a bolted fault and its probably a couple strands that touch and blow apart.

We have a lot less fire, now that pretty much every outlet in your home requires AFCI protection. I usually default to a duel function AFCI/GFCI circuit breaker on every branch wire. The biggest issue is these devices when they fail, generally fail in a position where they wont turn off as required. Technically you are supposed to at a minimum, once a year, exercise every circuit breaker in your panel. But I dont think that does much for the electronics in the CB. It more keeps the contact at the foot from welding itself together over time so the device can't open. If your really concerned about safety. Maybe in the 15 to 20 year range, toss every breaker in your panel and replace them with a new duel function AFCI/GFCI. $67 each at Home Depot.
In Europe, you can also get a AFCI on every branch wire. Eaton is a major supplier in Europe and their products are very good. Of course, your looking for sonics and the CT, smaller gauge tinned wire that passes through the CT in the AFCI device does make a slight veil sound.
And fuses can have a remarkably pronounced sonic impact. I compared Hifi Supreme gold fuses and fuse blocks to SqD QO breakers in Michael Fremers system and the fuse was very audibly different than the circuit breaker. So, now your back too, do you use a 10 cent glass bussman fuse, or one from an esoteric audiophile brand that sounds a whole lot different. And why does it sound different. Hmmmmm.
I'd never heard of AFCI, so I googled it.
If you look at the second and third paragraphs, it is clear we have different safety systems USA vs UK and Europe.

My installation is completely standard per our regulations. I have 400v 3-phase (3 x 100A) supply. We have an external wall-mounted box installed by the network engineers with sealed fuses before the meter (see the image - immediately after installation). My electrician then runs these through a set of breakers and then underground into the house. They go through a box with a master cut-off lever and then into a series of consumer units, two for the house, one for the utilities room and one for the car charger. There are 100A RCDs and breakers that I think range from 16A to 40A. Everything is mounted on marine ply in case of water ingress and housed in galvanic steel. Elsewhere there is a separate bank of isolator switches for all the kitchen appliances. Every wire and socket is tested, the complete system test took two highly experienced electricians 10 hours. You get a report, mine was 8 pages, filed online and serial number traceable to the registered electrical engineers who did the testing. Many qualified electricians are not qualified test engineers, so they get someone else to do it. There are labels giving the 5-year test cycle date, when everything gets inspected again.

When done per the regs, you should never have to look at it again. Unless you are a qualified electrician you should not be touching anything, unless you have to flip a breaker, and certainly not changing any of the equipment. If you have a fire or flood, turn the power off with the big black handle.

The UK plug/fuse combination is vital to safety. It should not be messed with either. See for example:
"The fuse in a plug is a safety device designed to protect the lead rather than the appliance. It is a deliberate weak link in a circuit, which will blow if an electrical appliance or extension lead draws too much current due to either an overload or a fault."

In the 1940s the UK went to ring circuits, child-safe 3-pin plugs and a requirement for all plugs o be fitted with a fuse of 13A or less.

In answer to your question, every plug used in my system is BS1363 compliant and every fuse BS1362 compliant. They may be Bussmann, SEM, I can't say, I don't recall looking. They would have cost $0.30 each because they are mass produced by the billion to strict tolerances. 13A safety fuses are ceramic filled with silica.

As I mentioned at the top, even if I were to buy a QSA Gold 13A fuse for $10,000, it is still a $0.30 Bussmann that's been cooked by some guy in a room in Hong Kong and rebadged. I have that in writing from the distributor.

I agree that the fuse in the equipment is protecting the equipment. I noted that earlier. Two components have inaccessible internal fuses. The only unit with an external fuse in an Innuos Pulsar server, I have not looked at it since I got the device.

2379.jpg IMG_2811 copy.jpg IMG_2810 2 copy.jpg

EE3.jpg

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Is your whole premise you don't like QSA because they use a Bussman fuse that is not labeled Bussman.

I just looked at glass fuses I have. They are stamped Bussman and UL.

I dont know if Bussman has an OEM department where they would make a product for another company and not affix the Bussman name to it. I don't know if QSA is going to an OEM supplier to get the fuse and that is why it is not labeled with a manufacturer stamp.

China is pretty good at making things with labels, stamps and markings that look very authentic. Taking anything at face value does have risks. I only buy Square D circuit breakers at authorized supply houses or Home Depot. FWIW Home Depot sells more Square D circuit breakers than any commercial supply house. They get preferential treatment. I never buy them on Ebay, Ali or Amazon as they may be fake.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
Is your whole premise you don't like QSA because they use a Bussman fuse that is not labeled Bussman.

I just looked at glass fuses I have. They are stamped Bussman and UL.

I dont know if Bussman has an OEM department where they would make a product for another company and not affix the Bussman name to it. I don't know if QSA is going to an OEM supplier to get the fuse and that is why it is not labeled with a manufacturer stamp.

China is pretty good at making things with labels, stamps and markings that look very authentic. Taking anything at face value does have risks. I only buy Square D circuit breakers at authorized supply houses or Home Depot. FWIW Home Depot sells more Square D circuit breakers than any commercial supply house. They get preferential treatment. I never buy them on Ebay, Ali or Amazon as they may be fake.
My comments only relate to 13 amp safety fuses, but these are the fuses most commonly used in the UK. The law requires every electrical appliance sold in the UK to include a legally compliant fused plug, irrespective where it has shipped from.

You can’t legally do OEM safety fuses because the fuse has to state the name of the manufacturer.

we have a national certification register, you can look up online and see which manufacturers are certified to make safety plugs and fuses. Many of them are Chinese and having incurred the huge expense of compliance, but they supply millions or billions of them mostly to Chinese exporters of products made for sale in the UK. fakes do exist, but they are rare. compliant items are cheap so it hardly makes sense to copy them.

Many UK domestic appliances are sold with sealed plugs, so that neither the cabling, nor the fuse can be accessed. Should the fuse blow, you would just replace the whole thing.

My issue with QSA is that they are selling fake or illegally modified 13A safety fuses. bear in mind that every appliance in a UK hi-fi system has a 13A fuse at the end of the power cable, so it is easy to have 10 or 20 13A fuses in play.

I am against anyone selling products that are illegal and potentially dangerous. When I was looking into this, I spoke to 3 or four companies selling 13 amp fuses. One was grateful and withdrew the product from the market. They had acquired the fuse business from another company and did not have the certification documents.

It seems That QSA relabel and burn in stock fuses, sometimes with a retail price 40,000 times the cost of the original fuse. Some people will consider that good business, others fraud. For me, that’s not really the point.

My system has 5 13A cables from Puritan, one from someone else, and one component with a replaceable 2A fuse. I spoke to the manufacturer and they advised an audio file replacement should be 3.15A, which I presume is because the I2t is five times higher, i.e. the fuse is much less likely to blow.

I did actually spend about $60 on an audiophile fuse From SA (it was on sale at half price, so I thought I’d give one a try), and I didn’t hear any difference at all. That was as far as I was prepared to go down that particular rabbit hole.

If I really was worried that fuses are detrimental to Audio performance, I would just blank out the fuse completely and take a risk that the component doesn’t blow up. Given that some fuses cost more than components, it would actually be the cheaper option. I am reliably informed by one of the largest suppliers of audio spares over here that quite a few people do that.

I’m very happy for people who find a way to make their audio sound better, there is no end to peoples ingenuity or imagination. however, it would seem sensible for this to stop at the point at which changes become illegal and/or dangerous.

For some of the differences between the UK, and the USA, see here, by an electrician who has worked both in the UK and uSA. He says the USA is safer because it uses 110 V, whereas most domestic supplies in the UK are 230 V. My incoming supply is 400 V

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...unless it was a very old home and never updated, homes in the US have 110 *and* 220v circuits. The riser feeding the house from the pole (or underground) would be 220v. Rex could elaborate until the cows come home, but most of the circuits in the home will be 110v. 220v circuits will be run for certain appliances/applications...like crazy honkin-big amps needing 220 lines. It seems to me a commonly held opinion that US homes don't have 220v.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
...unless it was a very old home and never updated, homes in the US have 110 *and* 220v circuits. The riser feeding the house from the pole (or underground) would be 220v. Rex could elaborate until the cows come home, but most of the circuits in the home will be 110v. 220v circuits will be run for certain appliances/applications...like crazy honkin-big amps needing 220 lines. It seems to me a commonly held opinion that US homes don't have 220v.
When I touched earth in my garden shed and jumped 3 feet in the air, I knew to was time to get the house rewired. 230v is not fun.

I don't know how these things work, because I have 400v coming in and I have a 230v system. It's not something I will ever need to know about. The voltage tolerance in of UK domestic supply is 230v -6% + 10%, so 216v to 253v. My voltage is on the low side.

We sometimes have problems here because unqualified builders do the first fix, running cable from switch point locations and lighting rings, sometimes even do the second fix (sockets etc.), and then get a qualified electrician to do the certification. You can end up with what my electrician calls "Polish wiring", as there are so many Polish builders who are very good builders but don't know the UK electrical rules. I had a little bit of this, my electrician spent about a day removing first fix cabling that was done wrong. Otherwise, my builders were fantastic. The main man comes round in the summer to collect apples from my garden and my plumber comes round to drink my expresso.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
European power is basically the same as ours. If I drew a one line of power from the utility pole to the house, its the same flow of disconnect, meter, grounding and bonding, feeder, safety devices, branch wire, duplex etc. Just a little different.
The single 230 volt on the hot is a lot higher voltage. But 120 has a tendency to make you clamp on and stop your heart. 230 volt is more able to blow you off the wire and burn you. But you might live. Or so the horror classes go. I tend to agree. Been bit by both. High voltage seems to throw you off. 120 is sort of grabby.

I have not heard anyone saying QSA, Synergistic Research, Hifi Supreme or any other audio grade fuses are failing to open when a fault occurs. You might not like the price or the marketing, but I have yet to hear of performance issues. If anything, they blow on inrush and cost you money to replace them.

I have heard all sorts of stories of shoddy cables falling apart and failing in the field from big name companies with big prices. I would be more concerned about the terminations on the ends of a cable than the fuse in it.

I would be interested to know if any brand name audio cables have a listing stamp on them in Europe. They may have a fuse in them. But I bet they don't meet other standards and therfore don't have certification. I cant find any listing, label or NRTL on any of my audio equipment. My friends can't find any on their gear either. I don't think you can fear me into a fuse is a more concerning liability because it lacks a brand name on it when every component in my audio system lacks the same sort of regulatory agency certification.

I bet, if QSA were selling fuses for $50 and got rave reviews you would have one in your power cord, IEC inlet as well as pulled the top off your equipment to find the 2 burried inside. I think it is the steap price that really irks you. Me too in the sense I would like to try lots of stuff from them like the ethernet jitter devices. But the sweet spot is $750. If I spend $200 and hear nothing, I have to listen to people tell me I didn't spend enough.

I did try 4 yellow fuse from QSA. 2 blew on startup. I did not hear the other 2. Owe well.

ssfas

Sep 13, 2023
Narnia
European power is basically the same as ours. If I drew a one line of power from the utility pole to the house, its the same flow of disconnect, meter, grounding and bonding, feeder, safety devices, branch wire, duplex etc. Just a little different.
The single 230 volt on the hot is a lot higher voltage. But 120 has a tendency to make you clamp on and stop your heart. 230 volt is more able to blow you off the wire and burn you. But you might live. Or so the horror classes go. I tend to agree. Been bit by both. High voltage seems to throw you off. 120 is sort of grabby.

I have not heard anyone saying QSA, Synergistic Research, Hifi Supreme or any other audio grade fuses are failing to open when a fault occurs. You might not like the price or the marketing, but I have yet to hear of performance issues. If anything, they blow on inrush and cost you money to replace them.

I have heard all sorts of stories of shoddy cables falling apart and failing in the field from big name companies with big prices. I would be more concerned about the terminations on the ends of a cable than the fuse in it.

I would be interested to know if any brand name audio cables have a listing stamp on them in Europe. They may have a fuse in them. But I bet they don't meet other standards and therfore don't have certification. I cant find any listing, label or NRTL on any of my audio equipment. My friends can't find any on their gear either. I don't think you can fear me into a fuse is a more concerning liability because it lacks a brand name on it when every component in my audio system lacks the same sort of regulatory agency certification.

I bet, if QSA were selling fuses for $50 and got rave reviews you would have one in your power cord, IEC inlet as well as pulled the top off your equipment to find the 2 burried inside. I think it is the steap price that really irks you. Me too in the sense I would like to try lots of stuff from them like the ethernet jitter devices. But the sweet spot is $750. If I spend $200 and hear nothing, I have to listen to people tell me I didn't spend enough.

I did try 4 yellow fuse from QSA. 2 blew on startup. I did not hear the other 2. Owe well.
Sounds like a menu of voltages we should all try before we die (or they kill us). I think 230v is designed to inform you that one bitten, don't do it again.

The electrical certificate states the current rating of every cable attached to every socket or appliance in the property, e.g. lighting is typically 6A cable (AWG is not a thing over here - "A" = American). Most appliances will have a 13A cable to a 13A plug. Some will be 3A, 5A or 10A. It is required by law. I think 13A cable is minimum 1.25mm2.

As I said, every appliance comes with a fused plug. One arrived today, for a satellite box. The plug is sealed. The kite mark states the BS1363 approval and the certification number. The fuse is Bussmann and states the BS1362 approval.
q1.jpg q2.jpg

I suspect electricity is much the same throughout the universe. Here, however, I don't have a utility pole to start with. We have different single and 3-phase supplies. My 3-phase is 3 100A lives at 120 degrees and a "neutral" which is a grounded conductor that carries any unbalanced return current in the system.

There are very detailed regulations relating to wiring, contained in BS:7371 (which is a massive set of regulations, running to hundreds of pages). I know little but, for example, it covers things like the insulator, because obviously they cannot be flammable. Cables used to contain cotton - no more. A lot of mains cables are labelled. I don't know the regulations for labelling, but fixed cables have to be certified as to the current rating.

There is nothing stopping you wiring an amplifier with a length of bell cable. Good luck. Or using aftermarket audiophile cables. The regulations apply to the original supply of the appliance.

The point you seem to be missing is that the requirement to label plugs and fuses goes beyond regulations, it's covered by nationally applicable legislation. Breach regulations and you can lose your electrical certificate, breach the law and you can find yourself in court. There is overlap as the regulations are enshrined in law.

The manufacturers making these products in vast quantities know the rules and comply with them. They most likely get checked at various points. There is nothing to fear. For this reason I would not buy direct from China, only from a UK distributor, who has legal responsibility when importing the product. Having been engaged in product liability disputes up to the Supreme Court, I know a little about this.

I have an audiophile cable at hand. Made by Isotek. Here it is:
q3.jpg

As you can see, it also has a sealed plug that states BS1363 certification and a SEM 10A fuse with BS1362 certification.

I have no idea about product certification. My family used to make electrical appliances and when I was a kid I packed boxes with appliances that had wires coming out with bare connections, leaving the customer to attach a plug. In those days there were still different sockets, so it made sense. For the last 40 years or so a standard fused plug is required to be attached BY LAW.

I am not driven by the cost.
- Russ Andrews sell 13A safety fuses for $30, but I have never been tempted.
- I have tried a $100 SR 2A non-safety fuse. I was unimpressed.
- The UK dealer for QSA is 10 minutes away. They offer fuses on sale or return if not impressed. Never been tempted.

I looked into fuse technology, fuse marketing and fuse regulations because I was interested in the merits as a possible upgrade.

p.s. My terminology:
A safety fuse is one required by law to protect the plug and cable.
A non-safety fuse is one built in by the manufacturer to protect the appliance.

Last edited:

flkin

Mar 7, 2019
Bangkok

I am not driven by the cost.

- The UK dealer for QSA is 10 minutes away. They offer fuses on sale or return if not impressed. Never been tempted.

Your home is super safe, we get it. Well done.

Why are you here if you haven’t tried QSA nor plan to?

Can we get back to the topic about jitter plugs? There’s a thread here you can use, for people that haven’t used QSA products but have a lot of comments to share.

I’m finding that placing 2 jitter plugs (red black) in series in the power chord of my streamer is having an over tightening effect to the sound. Initially it sounds impressive, bass lines so tight it’s like a new speaker. Vocals so focused like they are singing a inch further from the mic. Soundstage a little clearer but more compressed. I’m not sure if I prefer it to a single jitter plug.

Anyone experienced the same?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you. Please share your feedback of the 20A IEC. Have you gotQsa Lanedri LAN infinity cable in your system?
Hi Gentcan,

QSA Gold IEC Jitter 20amp has arrived. In for just overnight so far. Promising. More to come...

Reactions: gentcan and flkin

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
Hi Gentcan,

QSA Gold IEC Jitter 20amp has arrived. In for just overnight so far. Promising. More to come...
Awesome mate. I just added 2 IEC 20amp Silver jitters into my stock PC of Audia Flight Strumento 8. They are also more open but a bit booming in low end sometimes. But very promising because it’s sweet and natural in some familiar songs. They are about 120hrs now. Thank you

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Awesome mate. I just added 2 IEC 20amp Silver jitters into my stock PC of Audia Flight Strumento 8. They are also more open but a bit booming in low end sometimes. But very promising because it’s sweet and natural in some familiar songs. They are about 120hrs now. Thank you
Interesting! Great to compare notes...so I am at 240 hours...and here are my listening notes as it has changed over that time:
- Hour 0 - 100: The clarity and completeness of sound enabled the volume to go down 5-7db and not feel any lack of detail, or power
- Hour 0 - 100: Starting to reveal details in choral understandability, etc or electronic music that had not heard before but clearly are in the mix...an excellent sign providing the sound remains organic and natural...it does

- Hour 148: Treble got warbly and inconsistent...in fact, the whole spectrum did. Bill Evans suddenly gets a lumpy spectrum from bottom to top
- Hour 190: Treble comes back to normal...but it appears the improved detailing and sense of resolve remain from Hours 0 - 100....the problem is...
- Hour 180: The mid bass has started to wane...
- Hour 190: When I emailed around Hour 148, the Dealer had said around 200 midbass will disappear and then come back a few days later
- Hour 240: So now with bated breathe we wait.
- Hour 240: My sense is that the treble/mids are more resolved, more secure than ever before...but the bass is so distractingly light by that maddening little touch (i am a bass freak) that it takes away from focusing on these other very important elements

more to come...if the original Hour 0 - 100 bass returns which allows for lower volume magic playing...but with the upper/mid resolve of hour 190, then this is a very special result.

Last edited:

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
Interesting! Great to compare notes...so I am at 240 hours...and here are my listening notes as it has changed over that time:
- Hour 0 - 100: The clarity and completeness of sound enabled the volume to go down 5-7db and not feel any lack of detail, or power
- Hour 0 - 100: Starting to reveal details in choral understandability, etc or electronic music that had not heard before but clearly are in the mix...an excellent sign providing the sound remains organic and natural...it does

- Hour 148: Treble got warbly and inconsistent...in fact, the whole spectrum did. Bill Evans suddenly gets a lumpy spectrum from bottom to top
- Hour 190: Treble comes back to normal...but it appears the improved detailing and sense of resolve remain from Hours 0 - 100....the problem is...
- Hour 180: The mid bass has started to wane...
- Hour 190: When I emailed around Hour 148, the Dealer had said around 200 midbass will disappear and then come back a few days later
- Hour 240: So now with bated breathe we wait.
- Hour 240: My sense is that the treble/mids are more resolved, more secure than ever before...but the bass is so distractingly light by that maddening little touch (i am a bass freak) that it takes away from focusing on these other very important elements

more to come...if the original Hour 0 - 100 bass returns which allows for lower volume magic playing...but with the upper/mid resolve of hour 190, then this is a very special result.
That’s a good sign heh. Thanks for your sharing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That’s a good sign heh. Thanks for your sharing.
So update:

- Hour 252: Bass returns. Thank goodness! And more articulate than before which is nice though there seems to slightly more power than it can control
- Hour 264: Control has taken over the bass. So now we have power and we have a tighter more resolved detailing to the bass. Impressive
- Hour 288: So now we go back through all the tracks again...with a complete, full spectrum of improved sound...and start listening for inconsistencies in piano keyboard, listening for the change in weight as you go up and down the keyboard, listening for even-handedness in crescendos where as opposed to all-out extreme ring...you find in better resolved systems there is no extreme 'zing' (which was artifact of distortion) but you feel a strong fulsome ring which also has a three-dimensional finish to the note.

I am still sensing minor, ever-so-slight inconsistency in keyboard two octaves above middle C or so...the weight is a hair light. But overall, compared to without, I genuinely find that on certain tracks, I look up from working because a voice I am used to hearing in the background of a piece is suddenly clear, polished and completely understandable even though he is in the back of the recording soundstage.

More to come...very promising.

Reactions: flkin and gentcan

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
So update:

- Hour 252: Bass returns. Thank goodness! And more articulate than before which is nice though there seems to slightly more power than it can control
- Hour 264: Control has taken over the bass. So now we have power and we have a tighter more resolved detailing to the bass. Impressive
- Hour 288: So now we go back through all the tracks again...with a complete, full spectrum of improved sound...and start listening for inconsistencies in piano keyboard, listening for the change in weight as you go up and down the keyboard, listening for even-handedness in crescendos where as opposed to all-out extreme ring...you find in better resolved systems there is no extreme 'zing' (which was artifact of distortion) but you feel a strong fulsome ring which also has a three-dimensional finish to the note.

I am still sensing minor, ever-so-slight inconsistency in keyboard two octaves above middle C or so...the weight is a hair light. But overall, compared to without, I genuinely find that on certain tracks, I look up from working because a voice I am used to hearing in the background of a piece is suddenly clear, polished and completely understandable even though he is in the back of the recording soundstage.

More to come...very promising.
For the burning, do you need to run whole system 24/24? Thanks

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For the burning, do you need to run whole system 24/24? Thanks
i asked, and because the IEC is with the Torus which feeds the whole system, it has a electricity running through it 24/7 anyway. The QX4 is on, the Torus itself is on, and the Transport PSU and Velodyne are designed to be on all the time (Velodyne in standby that automatically switches on properly when it receives a signal).

So in that regard, we have been fortunate not to have to play 24/7...however, I understand it might be 'better' to turn the whole system on. In any event, at around 288 hours (based on 24/7), it is sounding very impressive.

Still want to wait to hear how the very upper mids on piano 'settle in' and see if they pick up just a touch more weight.

Reactions: gentcan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing