Pro Gear vs Audiophile Gear

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Nope, "The Smokester" ain't blowing smoke this time; he got it right. :D

Ohm's Law: I = V / R == current (Amperes) = voltage (Volts) divided by resistance (Ohms)

Lower resistance means more amps are needed for the same voltage, and most of our sources and loads are more voltage'ish than current'ish.

Pro audio systems typically work with 600 ohm impedances in a balanced configuration. While the mixer/preamp output is often low-impedance (1 - 10 ohms), the load is only 600 ohms (effective). A consumer audio component typically has input (load) impedance >10k ohms, often approaching 100k ohms. Lower impedance improves bandwidth and reduces noise sensitivity in the long runs often found in pro installations/stage setups, and of course live sound guys (like I used to be) rarely get to run the cables where they would sound best so a lot of times alongside the power cords they go... Yuch!

HTH - Don

p.s. Thanks for the kudos, y'all! Every now and then the thread turns to something I actually know a smidgen about...

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Just to add: The term "impedance" includes the concept of resistance but is really broader. Impedance takes into account the ability of some elements in a speaker load to change the phase of a time-varying signal. Usually impedance varies with frequency.

Sometimes speakers come with specifications that show both the magnitude of the impedance (usually mislabelled as a resistance for simplicity) and phase as a function of frequency. It is impedance which is the more fundamental engineering parameter that describes this behavior and its origins. A "resistive load" is a load that does not change phase and for that case the impedance would be the same as the resistance. Speakers are seldom a purely resistive load.

Impedance can be represented abstractly (mathematically) as a 2-dimensional vector with a length and a direction, or as a complex number r + j x. j is used in science and engineering to represent the Sqrt(-1) since i, the usual standin in mathematics, was already taken to represent instantaeous electrical current.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Speakers are seldom a purely resistive load.

Magnepans are. IMO that is why they have met with such wide spread success. They are popular with all the amps. Well not all.

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
A good example is a certain low-noise opamp that was very popular some years back. In a voltage circuit, it was fantastic, so of course manufacturers snapped it up and used it everywhere since stocking one opamp is cheaper than two and it was all the rage in the press.

Are you talking about the NE5534? I'm sure it's okay to name names here. :D

--Ethan

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Impedance is also defined in the "Units" thread in the Technical Forum here: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?990-Units-Symbols-and-Terms-Oh-My!

Ethan, that is a good guess and in fact I should look that one up, but I had the OP-27/37 in mind... Great little op-amps, but not great as phono amps. I had some friends who worked on them and were a bit annoyed at their mis-use.

IMO! - Don

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Speakers are seldom a purely resistive load.

Magnepans are. IMO that is why they have met with such wide spread success. They are popular with all the amps. Well not all.

I am a Magnepan fan, own several speakers in their lineup including the TYmpany, the SMG and the top of the Line and still love them. They usually have very well behaved impedance but is not truly resistive... The modulus and the phase of the impedance varies quite a bit , not as wildly as other speakers but they vary with frequency.
THis for the MG 1.6 .. Smooth and nice but not resistive.

THe MG 3.6 vary even more with a peak f close 14 ohm at 600 Hz but overall is mostly around 4~5 ohms.

All n' all very easy load for any decent amplifier.. Let's say quasi-resistive :)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am a Magnepan fan, own several speakers in their lineup including the TYmpany, the SMG and the top of the Line and still love them. They usually have very well behaved impedance but is not truly resistive... The modulus and the phase of the impedance varies quite a bit , not as wildly as other speakers but they vary with frequency.

THe MG 3.6 vary even more with a peak f close 14 ohm at 600 Hz but overall is mostly around 4~5 ohms.

All n' all very easy load for any decent amplifier.. Let's say quasi-resistive :)

Could it be the addition of the ribbon tweeter, er, quasi- ribbon tweeter that caused them to be, er, quasi-resistive?

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Just came across this thread...

I have Beveridge Model II (restoration project), Beveridge Model III, and Dali MegaLine III loudspeakers (currently, primary speaker). The electronics are balanced and valve.

I just listended to ATC SCM150 ASL Pro loudspeakers, using analog reels as source material. These may very well be my next speaker :cool:

Last edited:

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
a "friendly" studio has got Geithains, amazing, but since I go to work there from time to time, I refrain somehow to ask to much, must do so next time! egidius

PS the sound is amazing, but so is an atc-studio near me here.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

I sure love my 1.6s.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing