Price Of Gas

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Living in California the price of gas always seems to be higher than anywhere in the nation so with the price of a barrel of oil falling precipitously it has been a treat to buy gas at the pump varying between $2,50-$2.79/gallon. It has been a long time since we have seen such inexpensive gasoline

However, I have to admit you folks living elsewhere sure have it good. Case in point.... I was in Austin these past 4 days visiting my daughter and her family in Austin. I had a rental car for the time and on the way back to airport yesterday when I filled up the gas tank I was stunned that I drove the car for 4 days and the gas cost me $11.00 total to refill. Gas in Austin is $1.40/gallon

WBF has members in Austin and all over Texas. I was shocked how inexpensive gas was there. You guys are fortunate as here in California most families have 3-4 cars and have lengthy daily commutes so $80-$100 fill ups are common

How much is gas where everyone else is living

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ours just dip to $1.99 at the cheapest outlets here for the first time in 10 years or so. While I had seen these low prices in Texas, never here. Average for regular at gas stations is about $2.15 to $2.35.

Serious gauging is happening on premium though. Used to be that was just 20 cents higher than regular. Now I see it at 50 cents or even higher premium!

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
Saw $1.64 yesterday as I drove my 5-miles-a-week to the food dispensary.

Matches the price here - http://www.gasbuddy.com/ - zip 33579

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Steve, remember in California, a large percentage of the total price of gas goes towards taxes. God knows where the tax money that is collected goes...but that is another question!:(

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
In Northern Virginia gas at Sams CLub(division of Walmart) is $1.64 for regular.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I would imagine it goes for road construction and maintenance, hopefully, just like here in PA.

Imagine is about as good as it gets. LOL! The state of the roads here is getting worse all the time...at least in S.Calif; cannot talk for N.Calif. I believe that there are trillions of $$ sitting in CALTRANS's pockets.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
While low gas prices at the pump are a treat to heavy mileage drivers, there are down sides to cheap oil. The "fracking" processes are drying up in this country because the oil they produce can't compete with cheap foreign oil. Long term that could make the USA more dependant on other countries. Lower gas prices are also having a negative effect on road and bridge infrastructure maintenance. The stock market appears to be reacting negatively to cheap oil. I'm not at all sure the long term economics of cheap oil is a good thing:(

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Gas in Tucson is in the $1.49 to $1.59 range.

California gasoline has to be formulated in certain ways to burn cleaner. Also, there is limited refinery capacity within the state. Those two factors contribute to higher gas prices there.

Gas prices are typically higher in Northern California than Southern California. That's what I've seen historically anyway.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just had to fill up the new car for the first time. (Premium Only). Thankfully Costco still has reasonable prices.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
As far as i know the taxes in gas rprices are fixed and not based on percentage. Therefore a dcline in the price of gas would not affect taxes pe rse. It would of course affect sales tax. Unlike gas taxees sales taxes are contributed to the general fund.
I dont know what effect low gas prices will have in the long run. It has had an effect on the sale of gas guzzeling vehicles. I do knw high gas prices have been devasting to consumers. Many just parked thier truck or car. It ate up the profit of independet truckers. I saw a young women break down crying when she treid ti fill up her truck. I am sure in the short term it is am uch need break for consumers.
Just my opinion.

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
While low gas prices at the pump are a treat to heavy mileage drivers, there are down sides to cheap oil. The "fracking" processes are drying up in this country because the oil they produce can't compete with cheap foreign oil. Long term that could make the USA more dependant on other countries. Lower gas prices are also having a negative effect on road and bridge infrastructure maintenance. The stock market appears to be reacting negatively to cheap oil. I'm not at all sure the long term economics of cheap oil is a good thing:(

- While the number of fracking sites is declining, oil output is still increasing and is expected to this year, albeit at a lower rate of increase.
- A benefit of fracking is the relative ease to startup. Investment will return when the market supports it. Long term forecasting is sheer speculation: how many decades were we told to fear 'peak oil'? Canada and Mexico can meet our oil use deficit.
- Infrastructure support didn't collapse in the past 18 months but has been an issues for years. Road taxes are more than enough to pay for what is needed, problem is the tax money has been diverted to other political projects, like rail.
- As to CA: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/state-696048-gas-tax.html Gas tax in California ranks among highest in country; but its roads are among the worst in America
- Lower gas prices are a net economic benefit, but the recent rapidity and depth of decline is certainly being disruptive. Moving a $T from dictators and oppressive governments to world consumers is a good thing.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I read that was the strategy of Arab counties: to reduce the oil prices until that industry goes belly up. Did I hear oil was just $34 a barrel??? In an interview with one of the Arab royalties they said they need the price to be $60 for them to break even.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
These low oil prices have cost me over $300k a year so far. Not saving that much at the pumps to make up for it :(

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
In Northern Virginia gas at Sams CLub(division of Walmart) is $164 for regular.

$164! :eek: ;-)

* Here it's $0.97 average...per liter. One Canadian gallon equals 4.535 liters. ...That makes $4.40 a gallon Cdn..

** In one US gallon there are 3.786 liters...just do the calculation ($3.67/gallon USA). ...This is very cheap for us...as compared to what it used to be.
{One Canadian gallon equals 1.20 US gallon.}

*** In Texas the gas is cheaper...I wonder why...

<•))))-< http://aquaweb.pair.com/forums/archives/loach4/index.cgi?read=41109

But yes, in Canada where I live (on an island) gas is $4.40 a gallon. And in Quebec it's even more @ $0.99 a liter times 4.535 ($4.49).
I used to have a truck with two gas tanks, and with a 12-foot camper in it...up hill...seven miles to the gallon!

My last truck had a huge gas tank and a 392 HP engine, and full crew cab with full large size extended box and very heavy.
A fill-up? ...$150! ...12 miles to the gallon (highway). Lol

Last edited:

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
$2.04 a gallon in NorCal at Costco this morning.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
$164! :eek: ;-)

* Here it's $0.97 average...per liter.

** In one US gallon there are 3.785 liters...just do the calculation. ...This is very cheap for us...as compared to what it used to be.

*** In Texas the gas is cheaper...I wonder why...

This is because our dollar is like monopoly money now. And of course BC has higher taxes on gas. As low as 64 cents in Alberta now!

http://www.cbc.ca/calgary/features/gasprices/

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I read that was the strategy of Arab counties: to reduce the oil prices until that industry goes belly up. Did I hear oil was just $34 a barrel??? In an interview with one of the Arab royalties they said they need the price to be $60 for them to break even.

$30 a barrel today. Dipped down as low as $27 so far. The directional drilling company I usually do contract work for, who are by far the biggest in Canada, stock went from $17 in June 2014 to $1.46 today. Most of the big players in Canada have either gone belly up, or not far from it.

https://www.google.ca/finance?cid=685083

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing