Price Of Gas

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Last time I went there and proceeded to try to pump my own gas, I got chewed out so bad I thought they were going to report me to the police! That said, I didn't mind sitting in my car as they pumped my gas. :)

I love that about Oregon. I also love no sales tax. I almost bought 40 acres overlooking the coast and sand dunes by Florence last year. But backed out because of zoning issues.

I bought 20 acres in Washington instead.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We had a great driving trip through Oregon last summer. Started in Portland and then drove to Bend. After Bend we went to Cannon Beach. Beautiful state.

I hope El Nino has helped alleviate drought conditions. We drove by Detroit Lake reservoir not too far from Salem and it was maybe 15% full - very distressing sight.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Last time I checked, yes.

HFN (Hawaii Fueling Network) gives a discount to business owners.

Lucky you was my point as Hawaii's gas prices are supposedly higher than that in California

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Getting a job pumping gas used to be a right of passage. I remeber I had to stand there and watch pretty girls pump their own gas. That was after doing it for them at my unclles gas stattion.Kinda sad.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Perhaps someone will know, but I'm always puzzled by the *huge* discrepancies in price between stations.
In La Jolla, there's this one particular station that charges at least $0.50 over other stations, and I'm talking about less than a mile away! I understand being in an out of the way place, with no other stations in sight, and charging more for gas, but not that...
I mean, how does the guy survive? What could he potentially offer, in terms of gasoline, that the other stations, at 50 cents less, can't offer?
Weird...

Alex,

Here's what I heard is going on with that...the gas stations that are close to a main freeway exit are going to be much higher than in town. I think they are seeing a lot of traffic from people who get off the ramp and don't either have time to check prices, or are simply too close to empty to shop around. This makes some sense, although there are a couple of stations in town ( I think i know which ones you are talking about) that are crazy high. Again, I suspect they appeal to the local who needs to run in to get his snack fill up and his Big Gulp and doesn't care too much about the price of the gas. Which is definitely NOT me, LOL!!

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
You always find the right links Ray; how do you do it?

It's a Trade Secret.

Somehow it led to this, too, which is a nice change of pace for an overplayed to the point of don't even want to hear it again Bach fugue.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
It's a Trade Secret.

Somehow it led to this, too, which is a nice change of pace for an overplayed to the point of don't even want to hear it again Bach fugue.

My wife needs to learn how to to play the harp, so she can play it to me by my bedside after serving me breakfast in bed and tea every morning :)

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
With the price of gas we can all afford to drive from West to East, North to South, vice versa, and stop between @ some of the best concert halls listening to the harpists. :b

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
With the price of gas we can all afford to drive from West to East, North to South, vice versa, and stop between @ some of the best concert halls listening to the harpists. :b

As long as your primary source of income wasn't the oilfield :(

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I paid 1.81 / gallon to fill up yesterday. Up in Portland, I drove by a station with regular at 2.59. Glad I got mine where I did! Nice to fill the truck for under $50, when not too long back it was $90+. I read once every penny in gas price reduced pumps $1 billion into the economy (or takes $1 billion out if the price goes up). So for the most part having those extra $$ to buy new records, for example, a good thing. Unless you have an oil-patch business, then things are looking a bit bleak. But, the petrol business has been one of booms and busts forever. In fact, it was this fact that Rockefeller originally bought up so many petrol-related companies—he thought the volitility was bad business and wanted to create a more stable sector.

My timing not always so good. Several years back my sweet wife and I decided to rent a motor home to see if we liked it. We drove from Seattle to Montana, up into Alberta and B.C., and back. I think gas averaged around $4.29/gallon, with about 8-10mpg. F-me!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing